Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
subscribing....

Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
My mod-friendly dealer offers a timing advance of 2 degrees.
I don't know enough about the benefits and potential problems yet, so I passed on the offer.

Suby mentioned this having the option to set this +/- 2 degrees.
Ya, I know he said it offers +/- 2 degrees, but if it doesn't offer any timing advance within each tune, I can't see how it increases HP. So if the tune doesn't increase timing, and the end user doesn't increase timing, then where's the HP gain coming from?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vq Magic. lol.

Sorry i really want to know also i'm just worried it would hurt the engine / drivetrain so i'm holding off until i know how it works.

Maybe it changed the A/F ratio?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
Vq Magic. lol.

Sorry i really want to know also i'm just worried it would hurt the engine / drivetrain so i'm holding off until i know how it works.

Maybe it changed the A/F ratio?
exactly.

it leans out the mixture, makes it burn a little hotter.

or it might richen it up too, at different RPMs.

have any of you ever tunes a carb engine on a lawn mower or moped/snowblower, weedwacker?

its the same concept, leaning it out will give u more explosive power, but it raises cylinder temps which cause detonation,

Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I would be weary of leaning out the A/F mixture, especially in hot weather areas.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
so how does cobb tuning get a program for our cars that per the website get ~ +30 whp on the Gs?
its the same plug and play program for all vehs no matter what mods you have.
same figure everyone still wanted to get it but its not available for our 35's with the HR.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah thats why I'm worried about these tunes, I know our Engines run extremely hot already that's why they are so prone to pinging if we use a lower grade gas. If all this does is lean out the mixture, it would explain the increase in WHP and also mileage, but what difference does it make from a ebay chip?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by suby01
so how does cobb tuning get a program for our cars that per the website get ~ +30 whp on the Gs?
its the same plug and play program for all vehs no matter what mods you have.
same figure everyone still wanted to get it but its not available for our 35's with the HR.
I emailed Cobb and was very disappointed. I listed my mods (NISMO CAI, MREV2, 5/16" spacer, HKS exhaust) and they said; "sorry, we have nothing for you". If you don't have the exact combination of mods that they list on their website, NO TUNE FOR YOU!

Which makes me wonder how this guy can do it without a car, equipment and a dyno. How do you do that in a day?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by san~man
I would be weary of leaning out the A/F mixture, especially in hot weather areas.
cold weather is the problem, cuz it has more O2 in the heaver air,

you need to lean it out for the summer and richen it up for the winter if you want to get that close to the detonation line.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
exactly.

it leans out the mixture, makes it burn a little hotter.

or it might richen it up too, at different RPMs.

have any of you ever tunes a carb engine on a lawn mower or moped/snowblower, weedwacker?

its the same concept, leaning it out will give u more explosive power, but it raises cylinder temps which cause detonation,
theres a very small window of tuning where leaning the A/F ratio would improve power. Any more than that and it will bog down, heat up and power/reliability would decrease dramatically. i'd stay on the safe side and keep it on the rich side. especially with the super hot weather here.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
theres a very small window of tuning where leaning the A/F ratio would improve power. Any more than that and it will bog down, heat up and power/reliability would decrease dramatically. i'd stay on the safe side and keep it on the rich side. especially with the super hot weather here.
no no, hotter air has less O2 in it.

if you are close, really close to detonation, and the air that ur engine is sucking in gets hotter, it will lesson ur chance of detonation. if it gets colder then ur chance of detonation gets higher.

this talk of richening ur mixture when the weather is hot is wrong,
the same logic is also wrong if you are thinking of leaning out the a/f if it is cold out side.

we are talking about cylinder temps of thousands of degrees F, not block temps of 220F,

if you don't believe me, google it.

now back to the power pup.

OP, have you noticed a difference in throttle response, not more/less power, but throttle response/sensitivity?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
I realize what you are saying ^^
I have tuned nitro engines for the past 6 years so I have a good enough tuning background. "Lean out in summer, richen in winter". BUT when its 140F outside (yes thats how hot it gets here), leaning out the mixture will result in overheating EVEN THOUGH you are supposed to lean it out to compensate for the "thinner" air. The solution here is to find a ratio where you would lean the mixture out just enough to the point where it does not overheat yet it would still be within an acceptable A/F ratio range.
There's alot of variables that can cause detonation. You shouldn't have detonation issues if the A/F ratio is within an acceptable range and the spark/glow plug is fit for the setup you are running (fuel, ambient temps, etc.).

Old 03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
I realize what you are saying ^^
I have tuned nitro engines for the past 6 years so I have a good enough tuning background. "Lean out in summer, richen in winter". BUT when its 140F outside (yes thats how hot it gets here), leaning out the mixture will result in overheating EVEN THOUGH you are supposed to lean it out to compensate for the "thinner" air. The solution here is to find a ratio where you would lean the mixture out just enough to the point where it does not overheat yet it would still be within an acceptable A/F ratio range.
There's alot of variables that can cause detonation. You shouldn't have detonation issues if the A/F ratio is within an acceptable range and the spark/glow plug is fit for the setup you are running (fuel, ambient temps, etc.).
q8y is right, you can't just mess with the a/f and think of out side air temps, there is a lot that goes into it.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
so anywayz..... any update on how the "tune" is going? i.e. any problems or praises?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
so anywayz..... any update on how the "tune" is going? i.e. any problems or praises?
its working for me. like you can see in the vid. kick5 ***.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions