Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmmmm
I don't really trust dynos as I have bad experiences with them however I raced an EVO without the BD he was ahead by 2 cars, after installing the BD I was ahead by a car, it was on premium tune and +2 timing.

looks weird what you've got on the dyno, maybe there was some heat soak

Old 10-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Curious, where are you located? ^^

Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Bahrain

Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by m7mad.a
looks weird what you've got on the dyno, maybe there was some heat soak
If there was heat soak, the last run would have had the worst performance, not the best...?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Agreed... The last run was the stock run and had the highest hp

Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
still doesn't show the correct outcome, power is more than just a dyno run. with a tune you can turn off torque management, and enable WOT plus rapid gear changes. with the Bully dog you can feel a difference between gear changes. try it against a stock one on the road then we'll see

Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by m7mad.a
still doesn't show the correct outcome, power is more than just a dyno run. with a tune you can turn off torque management, and enable WOT plus rapid gear changes. with the Bully dog you can feel a difference between gear changes. try it against a stock one on the road then we'll see
Hmmm...well, anything is possible but:
  • Actually power is SPECIFICALLY shown by a dyno run. If you meant to say "acceleration", I agree
  • By "torque management", do you mean some kind of limiter, or simply increasing torque? If it's the former, there is no power limiter on the G like there is on the Titan. If it's the latter, sure - assuming the engine will respond to the tune
  • WOT is already enabled on the G - again, there's no power limiter
  • If by "rapid gear changes" you mean "the G changes gear faster", I believe you'll find that only the tranny computer can do this for you (and can line pressure be increased without a VB mod?).

But good luck to you. I may have a BD for sale, since you're clearly convinced...

Last edited by G35Now!; 10-11-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Hmmm...well, anything is possible but:
  • Actually power is SPECIFICALLY shown by a dyno run. If you meant to say "acceleration", I agree
  • By "torque management", do you mean some kind of limiter, or simply increasing torque? If it's the former, there is no power limiter on the G like there is on the Titan. If it's the latter, sure - assuming the engine will respond to the tune
  • WOT is already enabled on the G - again, there's no power limiter
  • If by "rapid gear changes" you mean "the G changes gear faster", I believe you'll find that only the tranny computer can do this for you (and can line pressure be increased without a VB mod?).

But good luck to you. I may have a BD for sale, since you're clearly convinced...

try it side by side with a stock G35 and you'll know what I mean

Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the car to the track, check 1/4 mile time.

B4 and after times I think will show the difference.

I don't think any1 with a bully dog tune have done that. In my opinion 1/4 mile times/trap speeds are the perfect evidence in this situation.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Since the BD doesn't affect how the car shifts, and seeing how the car is putting power down, and where, on the dyno sheets, i fail to see how taking the car to the track and doing a b/a comparison will help any.

All the more, given the minimal--if any--power gains from the BD. The minute variances with track time can easily sway the results in favor of, or against, the BD.

Anyone?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Since the BD doesn't affect how the car shifts, and seeing how the car is putting power down, and where, on the dyno sheets, i fail to see how taking the car to the track and doing a b/a comparison will help any.

All the more, given the minimal--if any--power gains from the BD. The minute variances with track time can easily sway the results in favor of, or against, the BD.

Anyone?
I agree 100%. The dyno will provide a much more realistic comparsion when compared to track runs. At the track you have to consider wheel spin, transmission shifts, there's too much room for human inconsistancy.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
yep +1
Driver is the biggest variable at the track.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 AM
This is a shame that this mod has, IMO, turned out to be a waste of time on this platform. I should have known that a product originally R&D'd for a truck platform will not necessarily translate into a benefit for our cars. I have had the BD for over a month and have not even noticed any difference in mpg--and that's with no change in my driving style.

I will not deny that I probably felt the placebo effect as well. With the premium tune and +2 timing, the throttle response felt stronger throughout the powerband, but in all honesty after removing the tune this weekend, I felt no difference at all in WOT. Maybe the BD is somehow altering the TPS sensor input, kind of like the Venom 400, another worthless mod.

That being said, I plan to at least for now keep the BD, add the 2 deg. timing, and see if I get any benefits (particularly gas mileage) on my wife's 05 4.0L Pathfinder.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just want a device that I can use to read the all the temp gauges and display fuel consumption (current fuel consumption, current fuel mileage, average fuel mileage).. A lot of cars have the fuel information as an optional display in the odometer readout area or on a second display. I'd love the performance increase, but I'm wary of pushing out a little more power for potential long term reliability issues... I'll stick with the stock setup for now.

Are there any devices that can simply monitor these things that the ECU already reads without the tuning ability that might be cheaper..? I'm new to the G and have been searching and searching.. can't find anything yet though, on the web or on the boards

Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
http://www.scangauge.com/products/

$169.00 and free "Overnight" shipping.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions