Timing Advancement and E85 Fuel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I don't think running 100% E85 on a system designed for gas is a great idea. Isn't E85 corrosive to the oem rubber fuel lines?
Yes, I am pretty sure that is true. I beleive the cars that are made to support E85 has different fuel delivery systems which also contains rubber seals that are compatible with the E85. Also the higher water content, as previously mentioned, is not a good thing too I would assume.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
found this on the ethanol storage website.

Avoid components made from zinc, brass, lead, aluminum, or other soft metals. The ethanol fuel may cause leaching from such soft metals, which may contaminate the vehicle's fuel system and could result in poor vehicle performance.

Aren't our intakes made of aluminum?

Don't know what might be in the injectors but thinking brass is a likely candidate....

Another website said E85 is a good cleaner and can mobilize sludge that might have formed in your tank or lines (think gummed up residue from evaporated gas that holds tiny suspended particles like in your lawnmower when you don't drain the gas in the winter). So, you might need a fuel filter change after running a couple of tanks of E85.

just fyi...

I guess what I'm getting out of all of this is it probably wouldn't hurt the actual engine too much (block, pistons, etc.) and may actually provide a performance boost due to octane rating, but you need to be careful with the rest of the fuel system and with contamination of cats and sensors due to possible leaching of aluminum and other soft metals anywhere in the delivery system.

amp

Old 06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as quoted from the 07/08 sedan repair manual:

CAUTION:
Do not use leaded gasoline. Using leaded gasoline will damage the three way catalyst. Do not use E-85 fuel (85% fuel ethanol, 15% unleaded gasoline) unless the vehicle is specifically designed for E-85 fuel (i.e. Flexible Fuel Vehicle - FFV models). Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control devices and systems, and could also affect the warranty coverage validity.

im pretty sure the dealer will know if you have used E85 if you have serious problems down the road.

Saving a buck a gallon is not worth it IMHO

Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're outnumbered here, man. As always, RTFM!!! Even if you don't agree with the manual, at least do the research before you start experimenting blindly. Maybe you're planning on using up your car and dumping it on some sucker.