What's the "pecking" order as far as A/M BBK brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Like I said, weight differences inbetwen brands ins't going to make or break you. When you say "I'll probably end up with 2 pc rotors", that means you aren't serious about weight savings or you're priorities aren't in the right place. Difference inbetween let's say an oem Akebono 14" 1 pc and an aftermarket replacement 2pc is probably close to 8-10lbs each. The difference inbetween 2 different calipers is going to be less than 1 lb. AND the rotor is rotating mass vs non rotating mass of the caliper. Rotating mass is much more critical weight wise.
I'd go oem Akebono w/ aftermarket 2pc front and back. Perhaps not the bling but definately functional, light and probably the cheaper option. Just powder coat them if you want them blingity
I say "in the end" because:
(1) there's no A/M rotor available at this time for purchase without buying a kit
(2) I'll end up with an A/M BBK kit (still deciding on what route to go)
(3) I'll buy the 37 kit, and run the 1 pc rotors until good 2pc ones are for sale

I know of the weight savings between a 1pc and 2pc. I had brembo 1 pc rotors on my old car and they were heavy as hell.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
FYI: Coz said their 2pc rotors will save a total of 35lbs (I'm assuming that's all 4), so a savings of 8.5lbs per rotor is a good amount.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm - so adding the Akebonos to our cars will probably hurt performance due to the extra rotational inertia?

san - what's your real reason for going BBK? Especially if no tracking - just looks? I can't imagine you'll really notice much performance difference on the street

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
For street use, the stock brakes can easily lock up the wheels on a panic stop if there were no ABS. The ABS equalizes the stopping distance beween ALL BBK brands by not allowing the tires to skid (assuming the wheels and tires are not switched). So ... what really determines stopping distance in normal driving is the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road.

The BBK does buy you less unsprung weight using aluminum calipers and 2-piece rotors when compared to the stock brakes. The suspension can theoretically rebound and respond faster.

The larger the rotor, the better the heat dissapation which minimizes brake fade during repeated stops or stops from high speed. Even better are larger slotted and/or drilled aero-rotors.

2 piece rotors are lighter than 1 piece rotors for less unsprung weight AND less rotational intertia. But the rotational intertia is a secondary benefit because it is not that different between the two (similar rotor diameters). Intertia is also a function of the distance to the center of rotation. That said, you get more acceleration using lighter wheels and tires vs lighter brake rotors.

I like StopTech for their customer support and because they are local to me.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Terry,
Which ST are you using? ST-60, ST-40? ST-22 rear?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
Hmm - so adding the Akebonos to our cars will probably hurt performance due to the extra rotational inertia?

san - what's your real reason for going BBK? Especially if no tracking - just looks? I can't imagine you'll really notice much performance difference on the street
I need high speed braking to be improved, less fade too.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by san~man
Terry,
Which ST are you using? ST-60, ST-40? ST-22 rear?
ST-40 / ST-22

If you wanna stop fast from high speed, the BBK will make a difference.

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-v3...-tech-bbk.html

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the good read Terry.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
For street use, the stock brakes can easily lock up the wheels on a panic stop if there were no ABS. The ABS equalizes the stopping distance beween ALL BBK brands by not allowing the tires to skid (assuming the wheels and tires are not switched). So ... what really determines stopping distance in normal driving is the coefficient of friction between the tire and the road.

The BBK does buy you less unsprung weight using aluminum calipers and 2-piece rotors when compared to the stock brakes. The suspension can theoretically rebound and respond faster.

The larger the rotor, the better the heat dissapation which minimizes brake fade during repeated stops or stops from high speed. Even better are larger slotted and/or drilled aero-rotors.

2 piece rotors are lighter than 1 piece rotors for less unsprung weight AND less rotational intertia. But the rotational intertia is a secondary benefit because it is not that different between the two (similar rotor diameters). Intertia is also a function of the distance to the center of rotation. That said, you get more acceleration using lighter wheels and tires vs lighter brake rotors.

I like StopTech for their customer support and because they are local to me.
Actually IMHO the ABS isn't the equalizer inbetween all bbks. If one bbk has a much different bias than another then the one with too much front bias is going to activate the abs up front sooner than the others. That means the other bbk with the proper bias calculations is going to use the rear brakes more and not activate the front abs as soon.

But I do agree that the tires are going to make a big difference. But since most people with bbks run much sticker/wider tires, a proper bbk is going to be a bit better than oem for a 60-0 and much better with a 100-0 and fade resistance. Not to mention better brake feel/modulation.

Being able to lock the brakes is one thing. But having to stand on them or having no feel inbetween locking and not locking is quite another. But I also agree that improving the stock/oem 60-0 time is very difficult and probably rarely done. Stoptech might be one of the setups that actually test for this and achieve it.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by san~man
I need high speed braking to be improved, less fade too.
What the heck are you doing on the roads!?!?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by popcornten
What the heck are you doing on the roads!?!?
I'll PM you

Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually IMHO the ABS isn't the equalizer inbetween all bbks. If one bbk has a much different bias than another then the one with too much front bias is going to activate the abs up front sooner than the others. That means the other bbk with the proper bias calculations is going to use the rear brakes more and not activate the front abs as soon.

But I do agree that the tires are going to make a big difference. But since most people with bbks run much sticker/wider tires, a proper bbk is going to be a bit better than oem for a 60-0 and much better with a 100-0 and fade resistance. Not to mention better brake feel/modulation.

Being able to lock the brakes is one thing. But having to stand on them or having no feel inbetween locking and not locking is quite another. But I also agree that improving the stock/oem 60-0 time is very difficult and probably rarely done. Stoptech might be one of the setups that actually test for this and achieve it.
+1 on maintaining proper front-rear bias.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brembo monobloc rear
345mm 14.6lbs
fully assembled caliper 8.4lbs

Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for that Brembo 380mm rotor weighing 19.4lbs, and love the yellow

And +1,000 for the Brembo 345mm rotor weighing 14.6lbs! ^

I still drool when I see pics of that wide body rookie

Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
...so there isn't a good After market 2 piece rotor for the G37??? I've considered getting Akebono calipers with some good 2 piece aftermarket rotors, like DBA...

Last edited by PR G35S; 06-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the "pecking" order as far as A/M BBK brakes?