Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Man so glad to see at least one guy get the right end result unlike suby, i hope everything goes smoothly and youre back in your baby in no time!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
question since i am having some issues as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated. luckily i have all of my spare parts incase i am doomed as well.

Did this happen to either uga or suby leading up to the actual breakdown?

It started almost a year ago, an occasional flattening of the exhaust note and loss of power.....I found it to be a possible dirty connection from the plug to the exhaust camshaft timing sensor due to it going away after cleaning the connection. but it is an intermittent occurance that happens every few times i drive it now.

more recently a more severe issue has arose. When going to wide open throttle it will all of a sudden jerk and stop accelerating with the motor still trying to go. The exhaust note is flat, power is lower, shifting takes up to 4 seconds and when it does shift its like its a full pressure wide open shift. the VDC light and SLIP lights illuminate. Following this the check engine light will finally illuminate. CODE 345. exhaust camshaft timing sensor. I have to pull the car over, clear the code and start it up a couple of times before it magically goes back to normal.

i fear i might be #3 with this problem

Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I would swap the OE parts back & take it in now.
Don't wait for complete failure.
This will give you a record for the ongoing problem.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 PM
alright, after a few weeks of off and on testing i have found the issues. the connectors/plugs that go to the intake AND exhaust camshaft position senors are getting loose and loosing the connectivity at the terminals. When the exhaust cam sensor looses the connection, only the exhaust note changes and there is a 10-20% powerloss. When the intake cam sensor looses connection, the car dies. If its an intermittent connection loss, it trips the combination lamp....CEL, VDC, and SLIP.

And, believe it or not, i had found through some research that other HR equipped 350z's are getting the same issue but its not limited to the cam sensors. Throttle bodies, MAF's, and crank sensors have the issue. When i went to the nissan dealer to pick up some new connectors, my buddy parts manager showed me something interesting.

nissan has issued kits of assorted plugs for the newer vehicles and a tool to check specifically for loose plugs and connectivity of the spade terminals. ROFL!

now for the issue of the motor popping earlier in this thread....seems to me like a stress fracture formed in the cam dowel pin with the continuous strain of the cams slapping over to full retard(timing). this resulted in complete failure when the dowel pin in the camshaft/camgear broke. and to think they kept replacing the sensors when it was a freakin plug. it doesnt suprise me at all it happened like this.

back in 2004 I had screws back out of the butterfly valves in my secondary INTAKE manifold runners in my 02 sentra ser specV. two screws went through the motor, pitting the piston and tearing up the spark plug. they wouldnt fix it because of my intake/exhaust. so i bought new screws and fixed it with loctite. ONE YEAR later, a TSB came out telling dealers about the issue and to check them....6months after that, a recall. grrrr....

anyways, i foresee a recall for certain plugs....mainly the intake cam sensor and crank senor plugs since those are really the only ones that kill the car when they fail. that causes a situation in which an accident can occur.

Some notes from my issues:
all cam plugs had a looseness to them. one of the plugs clip broke(exhaust side). one was loose enough that a small touch killed the car everytime(intake side). I found some looseness in my coolant temp plug and intake camshaft solenoid plugs on the timing cover also. I solved the issue completely by cutting off the old plugs and soldering the "new" plugs on. the "new" plugs seem to have a higher strength/heat resistant plastic consistency. part number is 22680-7S000. While narrowing down the issue and trying to find causes for the P0345 CEL code I:cleaned about 8 plugs:filled the distilled water level up in my battery:cleaned my throttle bodies:cleaned my filters:moved ground wires:topped off fluids:drank a bunch of beer :-D

Last edited by IvoryPearl07G; 10-16-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow,, thats pretty dang good diagnostic work IP!!! It gives us all something to look at, or check from time to time, if our cars act up as such.... well done!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This thread needs to be "stickied"..

Definitely makes you think twice about modding...

One day I feel like going all out on mods another day I want to keep it stock....

Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My engine blew for the pin coming out of the crack shaft timing gear and spinning the crank after my Harmonic Balancer came loose outta NO where.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ain-broke.html
I feel for ya

Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
i found my issues, and it partains to everyone with the cold start issues and spitting/sputtering

going to the dealer in a week

headgaskets
pics

passenger side

driver side

Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the whole deal of this thread? i havent read all the pages? motor blew due to cooling or block?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!

I blew my VQ35HR, and since they replaced the engine, i am continullying getting VDC/SLIP, and at WOT my car goes into some sort of failure mode, and the transmission shifts after 4 sec and at full line pressure.

Ivorypearl i pm'd you

Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Mini, did they state why the engine blew and how many miles?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:23 AM
NOTICED on 07s so far?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM
They could not figure out why but it was the same as the OP where the engine died and the cams were no longer turning!!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 PM
^ I wonder how many people are having this problem and not on this forum or if Z owners have this issue as well

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 09-23-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I seriously hate this POS of a car. I swear, i have so many problems with this car, and this whole issue with Check Engine/ Slip/ VDC BS has been in and out of the dealer for the last 6 months (since March).

I can no longer go WOT because it trips this condition, and results in me pulling over on the highway to restart the car.

I dont know what to do, and i only have 24,000KMS left on warranty. In the month i am debating on selling this car to buy a new car.

Whats the point of having a car that you can NEVER go WOT on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs