Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics

Hey all...
after debating between Injen CAI and Stillen Gen3...went with Stillen Gen3...
picked them up from them and installed yesterday...
wow what a PITA...seriously....
fittment and adjusting the shield upfront was the hardest. The shield came up short on the right side so I had to add a rubber to extend it. Otherwise the filter was exposed.
From the pics below..can someone with these intakes tell me how theirs fit? some pics would be greatly helpful. Planning to readjust the shield higher.
Here are the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics-img_0628.jpg   Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics-img_0627.jpg   Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics-img_0626.jpg   Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics-img_0625.jpg  
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
looking good! thanks for the pics.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 PM
thanks Q8ydrifter
I am having concerns about the shield and the fittments tho...
i was dissapointed it wasn't as perfect as it should be. After all it is 550 dollars.. :|
hope someone can give me some clues and ideas..
planning to adjust some more this week.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
yeah fitment was an issue, as I understand, on the 07 sedan, which is why I decided to go with a SRI in the end. But I hope it work out. Looks good nevertheless.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:14 PM
yea i talked to the sales person at stillen and sent him some pics of it to confirm if the shield needs to be adjusted or not...still waiting for an answer.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
trying to take the intake silencers out to prevent rattling and clutterness..but am not successful..
i searched in the forum but the DIY thread has all the links dead..anyone knows if there are special direction to get it out?

Thanks in advance..

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
The silencers are easy to take out. There is just a metal retaining piece holding them in--I think you just bend it back and it comes out.

As for the shield, I think one of my filters has about a cm exposed. this has not been a problem to my knowledge. but I do like your idea of extending it. I will definitely that when I get a chance.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks mishmosh..
Do you take the metal bracket off with it? or just the black plastic?
I can take one part of the bracket pin that is going in the chassis but there is something else still holding it in..
I asked the delaer and he said take the only way is to take the bumper off or the wheel and wheel liner...

Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
sorry. I left the metal bracket in.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
With my gen 3, I also had some fitment issues and the piping touching some metal parts around it causing some rattles at start up. I stuck cut outs of rubber pieces to fill up some gaps in b/w the piping and the body parts, then zip tied the piping down both sides so it doesnt move at all. Now, no more issues w/ rattles, etc.

I am happy w/ my Gen 3 intake.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I had the same issue with the piping touching the body of the car..i put 3M foam adhesive in between which did the job.
I still have issues removing the silencers. I will take a picture later and post it showing.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems like a lot of work with fitment...is it worth going through all the trouble over buying the injen? are the difference in gains worth it?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:05 PM
it did frustrate me with the fittment and messing with afteerwards to prevent rattle..but the looks of it in engine bay and through the grill is worth it..
also on 3rd gear and little above 3k rpm..it starts growling nicely..

Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I just installed my Stillen intake this weekend. First mod on the car
It was a pain, but mostly because it was the first time under the hood on this car and I missed the step about taking the plastic tunnel out before expanding the core support holes. Once I removed those, it went in fairly well.

The driver's side lower tube did scratch a little, but I cut the supplied rubber tube and wrap it around the AC lines. Haven't had any issues since doing that. Also I was able to get in with no gaps or something, so you might try twisting the tubes to get things to reach. I can take some pictures of my install if you would like, as I haven't put the radiator cover back on yet.

As for the sound, it is much different than what I expected. I installed a ram intake in my previous, turbo'd car and it had a kind of BOV hiss sound when you let off the throttle. The Stillen is much more throaty, almost like an aftermarket exhaust.

In regards to performance, it definitely improved torque in the high RPMs. Previously it seemed like it ran out of air and kind of lagged at the higher RPMs, but now the torque is there all the way up.

I'm extremely happy with it.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
congrats on your intake..it was my first mod as well on my G.
I am loving it more and more now..
were you able to take the intake silencers off? if so how?
yea post some pics of the front shield..i doubt i will be changing or twisting anything now..but still would like to remove those silencers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen Gen3 Intake fittment and pics