BrianCrower Camshafts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Question BrianCrower Camshafts

Ok guys I was talking to my local tuner about dyno'ing and remapping the car and he suggested I get Camshafts if I want to see any real gains on the car. Now I've been thinking of fitting Cams for a while now but never really go around to it. Now he's suggesting a BrianCrower Camshaft kit, he's already installed them on a few cars and swears by them.

So has anyone heard of these guys? My cousin has but this is the first time I hear of them, but everyone here are telling me they're reliable, anyway here's the linky:

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/vq35de.shtml

and I know someone will say they don't have it for the HR engines, but they do you just have to download their PDF and it's there, I took the added step of talking a screen shot for those of you who are lazy :

Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
You're Despicable

Oh and he suggested I get the Stage 3

Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 AM
You're Despicable

bump for the day

Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 AM
You're Despicable

actually looking at GTM's camshafts they differ slightly:

http://www.gtmotorsports.com/product...cat=264&page=2

Stage1:
Intake: 264 deg (stock 238)
Exhaust: 256 deg (stock 240)
Lift: 0.435” (intake) and 0.423” (exhaust)
Overlap: 22 deg (at 0.045” lift) – more than stock

Stage 2:
282/272 degrees @ .012”
240/232 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm/11.00mm Valve lift (intake/exhaust)

Stage 3:
302/292 degrees @ .012”
256/250 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm/11.00mm Valve lift (intake/exhaust)

Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 AM
You're Despicable

hmm wait just noticed it's for the DE and not the HR

Old 12-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering if you know how do they install them.... we installed those on a 350z and we had litterly strip half of the engine to get to the cams, i won't recommend opening your new engine for just 13rwhp *that's what we gained*, beside i would think about cams if it was at least a coupe, but it's up to you, i wish if changing cams was as easy as changing the cams on any Chevrolet engine (pull the cam, insert new cam).

Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maz, im not that fimiliar with Cams loobs and such, but what does that kit includes? Only cams? Valve springs, retainers, rockers and etc.?

Are you sure you wanna open up your heads and void warranty?

What is the power outcome out of this?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by G35s-Dude
I was wondering if you know how do they install them.... we installed those on a 350z and we had litterly strip half of the engine to get to the cams, i won't recommend opening your new engine for just 13rwhp *that's what we gained*, beside i would think about cams if it was at least a coupe, but it's up to you, i wish if changing cams was as easy as changing the cams on any Chevrolet engine (pull the cam, insert new cam).
13RWHP is good for a V6 engine is pretty got i think, or for our HR engines atleast.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 AM
You're Despicable

Yeah I know it involves stripping half the engine off which is why I'm still in two minds about it, I honestly don't trust the dude who's offering to install it, well actually I don't trust the people working for him. I was watching them install headers on a Altima 3.5 and their skill level was not what I wanted to see

Originally Posted by Bahg35
Maz, im not that fimiliar with Cams loobs and such, but what does that kit includes? Only cams? Valve springs, retainers, rockers and etc.?

Are you sure you wanna open up your heads and void warranty?

What is the power outcome out of this?
I'm not sure what the kit includes to be honest but it doesn't include the valve springs which is why I would also buy them if I was going for the cams.

I dunno guys, I want to see some real gains from my car but I can't go FI because the installers here are not trust worthy and that's not even looking at remapping

As for voiding the warranty I'm not too bothered about that, I've got one year left and I won't have warranty anyway, so that isn't an issue. I'd just feel a lot better if someone here has installed them and could tell me what sort of gains they got? I'm not sure if 13whp is worth it, but for $1,000 it might be the only mod worth going for

Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 AM
Originally Posted by Defratos
I'm not sure what the kit includes to be honest but it doesn't include the valve springs which is why I would also buy them if I was going for the cams.

I dunno guys, I want to see some real gains from my car but I can't go FI because the installers here are not trust worthy and that's not even looking at remapping

As for voiding the warranty I'm not too bothered about that, I've got one year left and I won't have warranty anyway, so that isn't an issue. I'd just feel a lot better if someone here has installed them and could tell me what sort of gains they got? I'm not sure if 13whp is worth it, but for $1,000 it might be the only mod worth going for
From my knowledge when modifying a cam in a car, you should change the valve springs and cam rockers as well. Because the stock ones won't handle the cam loob or something like that. So you should change em incase of swapping.

In my opinion paying 1000$ for a 13WHP is fair enough, because you already paid another 1000$ for your exhaust, and how much did you gain from that?

As far as installation goes, dude tell me about it!! First of all, they aren’t familiar with our Engines or ECUs. So when you go down to get a tune, all you see is ??????? marks on their faces. When you ask em something technical about the cars engines you get the same thing. And yeah most of the garages don't have proper places to work at, or tools to work with.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
TBH 13rwhp or even 20rwhp isn't worth the damage it might do to the engine if it wasn't installed correctly, not to mention the fact that you'll not be able to drive your car for a while, IMHO stay away from those, stick with a reflash and see some REAL gains, contact GTM, they'll send you the Osiris software + cable, you download your ECU software using Osiris software and then e-mail it to them, they crack the code and e-mail it back to you along with the reflash, 15rwhp gain, better response, it's safer, and it only cost $599.

My POV.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 AM
You're Despicable

^ Agreed,

and yeah the guy has already told me to get the valve springs and Retainer (I guess that's what you call the rockers) and yeah I was comparing the price with my exhaust, I dunno how much I've gained from that I would have found out yesterday if the DAMN DYNO WAS WORKING!!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 04:20 AM
TBH 13rwhp or even 20rwhp isn't worth the damage it might do to the engine if it wasn't installed correctly, not to mention the fact that you'll not be able to drive your car for a while, IMHO stay away from those, stick with a reflash and see some REAL gains, contact GTM, they'll send you the Osiris software + cable, you download your ECU software using Osiris software and then e-mail it to them, they crack the code and e-mail it back to you along with the reflash, 15rwhp gain, better response, it's safer, and it only cost $599.

My POV.
Thats great news, Finally we can get a tune. And a tune by pros who know what they're doing. Thanks for letting us know bro.

Maz, after reading the Above i suggest you do that. Stay away from the cam for now atleast.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by Defratos
^ Agreed,

and yeah the guy has already told me to get the valve springs and Retainer (I guess that's what you call the rockers) and yeah I was comparing the price with my exhaust, I dunno how much I've gained from that I would have found out yesterday if the DAMN DYNO WAS WORKING!!!!
Damn lol, I thought i would see some dyno graphs today....

Sorry for the off-topic: SOMEONE GUIDE ON HOW TO POST PICs IN OUR SOCIAL GROUP!!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 04:32 AM
You're Despicable

My POV.
Now this sounds like the best option, but I'm still not convined until you try it out dude lol, you can be our guine pig for this and I'll be the guine pig for the cams lol j/k. I'm still in two minds, I'll wait and see what happens and then update you guys.

Thats great news, Finally we can get a tune. And a tune by pros who know what they're doing. Thanks for letting us know bro.

Maz, after reading the Above i suggest you do that. Stay away from the cam for now atleast.
Yeah it does sound like the best/safest option, but I thinking why don't I get the cams installed and then contact GTM lol and ask them for a re-map, maybe I'll get 25hp? hehe optimistic but still worth a try

Damn lol, I thought i would see some dyno graphs today....

Sorry for the off-topic: SOMEONE GUIDE ON HOW TO POST PICs IN OUR SOCIAL GROUP!!!!
Yeah sorry dude, I thought you read it on the Invidia Q300 thread, I was there yesterday from 7-10pm and it wasn't working. Just goes to show how reliable the readings would be.

I replied in the social group on how to post a pic, I think your pics might be too big, what's the size?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BrianCrower Camshafts