VQ35HR engine replaced - Still issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VQ35HR engine replaced - Still issues

Its been a while since i posted around these boards but I have been having some catostrophic events happen to my 2007 G35 RWD.

The car has about 60,000kms and is always maintained very well. For me, I will say i do drive my car fairly spirited.

MODS: Compustar remote starter alarm (putting it here because the dealership wants me to remove it as it taps in to the IPDM and BCM), Stillen Exhaust, Stillen intake

Now the issue. A month ago, i was driving along, and i accelerated hard to pass a car, and all of a sudden the engine grenaded.. I was unable to start, and the car was towed to the dealer. Dealer tells me that the left camshaft STOPPED rotating, leading to catostrophic engine failure. The check engine light indicated that the camshaft sensor also failed. Engine was replaced with a brand new VQ35HR under warranty.

About a week after, (mind you i do pound down the mileage on the car, put on about 1500kms in a week), and babying the engine, i decide to give it a good hard acceleration to pass a car. BOOM!! Check engine light, VDC, ABS, SLIP light. Also the transmission is BANGING in every gear, and unable to accelerate properly. So i restart the car, and loaf back to the dealer. No tranny codes, but the code thrown again is the left camshaft sensor failure. Dealership has replaced the sensor and all is well again. At this point i decide to do an oil change since its been about 1500kms.

A week later, driving on the highway, I give the car a hard acceleration to pass another vehicle. BOOM!! again check engine light, VDC, etc.. and the transmission starts banging every gear. SAME SITUATION. Take it back to the dealer, and the code thrown again is the left camshaft sensor. Dealer is really confused as to why this is happening, however according ot the black box at the time the code was thrown, it indicated I was going about 56km/h and the engine speed was 7100RPMS (which makes sense since i floored it at about 50km/h and the tranny downshifted to accelerate).

This was yesterday. The dealer now tells me that i need to remove my alarm because it is tapped in to the BCM IDPM, so I am going to pay to remove my alarm before they are willing to investigate furhter as per direction from Infiniti North America Tech Line. So my question is, any idea of whats going on? I have been very patient throughout this whole situation. But am getting desparate and need to know if anybody has any experience with this....

FYI - the dealership i am going to has been VERY helpful and VERY understanding..

Thanks guys@!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which dealer are you going to?

I had this once and they did the same thing replaced the cam sensor. No issue after. Remove the alarm and see if that will solve the problem. If it won't stop the problem just lemon it.

I know most people doesn't know this but we have help here in Canada too. I think it is actually better than the lemon law in the states. Since this one lets you do it longer and no need to have the problem 3 times and it is free.

http://www.camvap.ca/eng/camvap_for_me.htm#Must

Old 04-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the wonderful advice... Curious if it matters that i purchased the vehicle second hand (i bought it when it only had 2,000KMS).

This would be the third time now... And the dealership is Markham infiniti.

Originally Posted by tg1234
Which dealer are you going to?

I had this once and they did the same thing replaced the cam sensor. No issue after. Remove the alarm and see if that will solve the problem. If it won't stop the problem just lemon it.

I know most people doesn't know this but we have help here in Canada too. I think it is actually better than the lemon law in the states. Since this one lets you do it longer and no need to have the problem 3 times and it is free.

http://www.camvap.ca/eng/camvap_for_me.htm#Must

Old 04-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I would remove the alarm because they cause nothing but problems on late model cars especially Nissans. Even mid 90s Maximas get flakey when you run an aftermarket alarm inline with the factory one. It is quite possible that the aftermarket alarm is causing your driveability issues.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
have they tried replacing the vtc covers on the new engine? i had an ex35, same motor, throwing a B1 cam sensor code 3 times, and once i replaced the sensor. techline told me to rpl the covers and the car hasnt been back yet.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
the alarm is not going to cause camshaft from turning... cmon guys the dealership as usual is being a pain as they have no idea of whats going on. and @ the OP running the car hard should not cause problems as long as you dont have a flash that increases your redline, the car is meant to be able to handle high rpms passes and runs.

I run mine hard every now and again all the way to redline like most others, not an issue!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Lay off of flooring it A bit to break the engine in