Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by PocketMnky
Thank you, I feed it a healthy diet of Shell Premium and give it plenty of exercise.

That said, you can distinctly hear the sound of my timing chain every morning after the automatic 2000k RPM warm-up if I have my A/C turned off. Clickity-clackity-clickity. Once the car warms up it goes away, but it always worried me.
Mine has been running on Mobil/Exxon 93 Premium ever since I purchased it. Do you know what that sound could be?

What's funny is that Shell was on the toptier gas and then I think Mobil/Exxon came in later? I think that they bought their place into the list.

I get that gas because I get 15 cents off per gallon at any Exxon/Mobil Gas station using the Exxon/Mobil Platinum Mastercard. Any savings would be great during the hard economic times =)

Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exactly same ticking noise from engine. 03 G coupe with 82000miles on it.
Went to dealer and was told to change the engine oil with thicker one. I changed the engine oil with way thicker one but the same noise comes from the same spot. Some mechanics are saying it's from valve lifters and it wouldn't make the car die or anything but annoying.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 AM
mine is htei valve and lifters as well...ti's just annoying...they say just drive it..it's north worth it to take it a apart and adjust the valves or fix parts. just drive it till it dies and then do an engine swap

Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I would take that stupid engine cover off and relisten in there,,, i think maybe air, or vacuum leak somewhere,,, can anyone rev motor while your recording???

Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I have this same exact issue. Doesn't happen all of the time, when it does, I can't hear it from the cabin. Outside it is noticeable. When hood open it is a loud, tick, tick, tick, tick, from the rear passenger side of the engine. Please update us if someone finds out what it is. I have an '08 Journey.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Well I went to the dealership and spoke with the Service rep and then the mechanic. The engine was "ticking" just as before. I think I was fed a line of BS, because I have never heard of this before. But, supposedly there is a flap somewhere near the passenger side of the engine that releases gas or oil vapors (don't remember which they said) and that is the ticking that I hear. They said that there is nothing to worry about and that this is normal. The Dealership said that it will happen off and on, and some of the factors are the different gas that is used. Right now the “winter blend” of fuel is out and different from summer’s blend. Well I know that is true, and I have not heard this ticking in summer. Maybe there is some truth to this. Anyone else know?

Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Flap? Did he say valve? Like EGR or PCV valve? Do cars still have PCV valves anymore?

Anyway, not sure I buy his explanation.....but, I do agree that this ticking so many people hear is normal. I'm not worrying about it any more.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Mine has a slight tick at idle but it just sounds like the injectors. Can hear it when i pop the hood or if i am parked next to a wall and it resonates back..then i can really hear it. Pretty sure it's normal

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
Mine has a slight tick at idle but it just sounds like the injectors. Can hear it when i pop the hood or if i am parked next to a wall and it resonates back..then i can really hear it. Pretty sure it's normal
Does your engine tick in the same area (back of the engine passenger side) like in my video?

Old 02-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the ticking sound speed up as you rev the motor? I have the same issue with my G and they told me its normal...being my second g35 i know it isn't normal. I think i have a sticky lifter, which you may have. Just build your motor and problem is resolved

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Does the ticking sound speed up as you rev the motor? I have the same issue with my G and they told me its normal...being my second g35 i know it isn't normal. I think i have a sticky lifter, which you may have. Just build your motor and problem is resolved
The ticking sound does speed up a bit, although I'm not sure...The sound of the engine drowns out the ticking sound...but the sound comes and goes...it's not like it happens all the time. It only occurs after you have driven a bit...

The weird part is that the location of the sound is in the rear passenger side...I brought it to the dealer and they want to take it in to check out what is wrong...they said that it could be the fuel filter?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 AM
See my ticking is hard to locate. Thought it was the front of the engine by the belts and i still have a feeling it's coming from a belt of a pulley. But i can hear it at the back of the engine. Too hard to locate but i am not worried. Has done it since the day i bought it.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have that same ticking (sorry to open a sort of old thread) have we found out what it is yet?

Btw i have a 2007 G35x with 70043 or something on it with stillin intake and exhaust.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Bring this thread back...anyone find anything out?

Mine still does it. Even today i got out while it was still running and i was like what the hell was that. It always comes from under the car by the wheels when the hood was shut. Pretty loud today

but i did it with the original engine as well as this new one..so i am thinking it is 100% normal..just annoying becasue like i said..when you drive in a parking garage or by a wall you can hear the tick loud as can be..but i guess it's just how these engines are

I use mobil 1 synthetic as well

Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Anton_Chigurh
Bring this thread back...anyone find anything out?

Mine still does it. Even today i got out while it was still running and i was like what the hell was that. It always comes from under the car by the wheels when the hood was shut. Pretty loud today

but i did it with the original engine as well as this new one..so i am thinking it is 100% normal..just annoying becasue like i said..when you drive in a parking garage or by a wall you can hear the tick loud as can be..but i guess it's just how these engines are

I use mobil 1 synthetic as well
Yeah I brought it to the dealer a while back. They tested it and told me that the ticking noise is from the solenoid purge valve, and it is normal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise