Getting driveshaft balanced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
That's messed up if Infiniti cannot find the problem.
I have 3 complaints to this dealer from this and when my engine blew and wrote 3 horrible reviews online about them. Only one really close to me. Will NEVER go back again...

They had a smoke show for a receptionist..but that was it LOL

Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of a drive shaft issue on any G.

Probably not a commonly recognized problem but does occur. My brother's BMW 5 series had an unbalanced drive shaft. Dealer was resistant to considering it as the cause of vibration problem, but eventually swapped it out and solved the problem

Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by pride
Never heard of a drive shaft issue on any G.

Probably not a commonly recognized problem but does occur. My brother's BMW 5 series had an unbalanced drive shaft. Dealer was resistant to considering it as the cause of vibration problem, but eventually swapped it out and solved the problem
What issues did your bother have? Vibration wise?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM
it was quite a while ago, but from what I remember, it was a vibration issue that seemed to be related to tire balancing. Apparently it wasn't too severe but bothersome. At first, dealer kept balancing wheels and tires, then switched wheels and tires from another car, all without success. Suspension inspect found no problems (fairly new car no hard hits to the tires/wheels). Eventually someone suggested that the drive shaft might be out of balance. I think the dealer switched the driveshaft from another car and it solved the problem. I didn't read your old posts about your vibration issues, but my brothers BMW shook from new. did yours?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by pride
it was quite a while ago, but from what I remember, it was a vibration issue that seemed to be related to tire balancing. At first, dealer kept balancing wheels and tires, then switched wheels and tires from another car, all without success. Suspension inspect found no problems (fairly new car no hard hits to the tires/wheels). Eventually someone suggested that the drive shaft might be out of balance. I think the dealer switched the driveshaft from another car and it solved the problem.

Wow..sounds like my exact problem..hmm

How many miles were on the BMW

Old 04-15-2012, 07:18 PM
The BMW was bought new. Apparently the vibration wasnt too severe but bothersome. As time went by the problem irked my brother enough to demand a resolution, esp since tire balancings werent doing the trick. Hope the driveshaft balance helps to solve your issue.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ that sounds just like the issue ur having Anton but at a bt more aggressive scale so it COULD be the problem... however if the driveshaft is not balanced then technically u shouldve felt this vibration form the day u got the car so did u have this problem from the first day you had the car or id it start a lot later?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
It's possible it could have gotten bent, or had a weight torn off, from an impact at some point.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
^ yup that is very plausible since the weights are not stick-on like tires but rather welded on which is why i was wondering since other than an impact to the shaft it would be unlikely for the weights to just fall off.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ yup that is very plausible since the weights are not stick-on like tires but rather welded on which is why i was wondering since other than an impact to the shaft it would be unlikely for the weights to just fall off.
No accident on carfax or that i am aware of. And kool_yaar..it was like this since day 1 when i bought it. But the day i bought new tires it was better..next day..back to normal as in bad. Me and my father are going to go over everything on tuesday. I took him for a ride and he deff feels something wrong but to him it could be a number on things...who knows

Ill see if i can see the weight on the shaft when i get under the car.

I am wondering if that wrong size tire 12 months ago ****ed it all up... But i doubt it since when i rotated the tires last week..it has gotten worse

Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
since u it seemed to drive fine with new tires for a while makes it a bi unlikely for the driveshaft to be unbalanced then, hope its not a transfer case issue, post back with what your dads finds out.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Wow, I am new here and this is my 2nd post and dumb founded that no one has said this I just bought a 05 6 speed mt sedan. There is a real bad off gas vibration in the car. When I was under the car before i bought it, it was very noticeable that it needs a center support bearing. Shows sines of dry rot on the rubber and just a tad of play. My E36 bmw did the same thing when it was bad. PITA job to do right, but parts are cheep.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by foamerdave
Wow, I am new here and this is my 2nd post and dumb founded that no one has said this I just bought a 05 6 speed mt sedan. There is a real bad off gas vibration in the car. When I was under the car before i bought it, it was very noticeable that it needs a center support bearing. Shows sines of dry rot on the rubber and just a tad of play. My E36 bmw did the same thing when it was bad. PITA job to do right, but parts are cheep.
I have a lot of off gas vibration too. What is a center support bearing? I think I may have someone look at my driveshaft. I feel a lot of vibration in the floor and throught the gas pedal that is very annoying.