Shifter Stuck In D AGAIN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
I bet this would be an easy fix. Probably some metal contacts that don't click together anymore due to constant use. When you're by the 2nd one and it fails again, i think it's time to take matters into your own hands and see what's the problem. Just like how nissan is lazy in fixing the ac compressor whine which they just replace the entire damn thing when the real problem is the shim inside the clutch plate gets worn out. My DS/manual mode is still working perfectly. Then again i barely use mines

Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
The service man says it will go in and out and when it gets worst that would be the time to change it out. But they are going to check it out but i hope they do end up changing it out so it would be new again.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by b-dRizZy
u done this before ^
Yes

Old 11-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I just fixed this problem in 10 minutes... after 2-3 long years of not having full shiftronic mode since the damn dealership tried to charge me 500+ for the whole shifter assembly. Mine would go back to D when I tried to downshift, but upshifts were fine. Anyways, I decided to open it up after finding the "NiftyShifty Automatic Boot mod" and found two switches for the "+" and "-". Then I simply unscrewed the "-" switch and gave it a quick inspection and screwed it back in. Then VOILA. It works normally again!

I think the switch was just a bit loose or something like that and the car somehow detected it.

For those of you who are experiencing the stuck in "D" problem, give it a go! It's REALLY simple.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Thats it. My warranty covered it but they told me if i didnt have it that it would cost me 800 bucks.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hyukki
I just fixed this problem in 10 minutes... after 2-3 long years of not having full shiftronic mode since the damn dealership tried to charge me 500+ for the whole shifter assembly. Mine would go back to D when I tried to downshift, but upshifts were fine. Anyways, I decided to open it up after finding the "NiftyShifty Automatic Boot mod" and found two switches for the "+" and "-". Then I simply unscrewed the "-" switch and gave it a quick inspection and screwed it back in. Then VOILA. It works normally again!

I think the switch was just a bit loose or something like that and the car somehow detected it.

For those of you who are experiencing the stuck in "D" problem, give it a go! It's REALLY simple.
Whomever takes a stab at it, please post a DIY with photos for the rest of us. I haven't had any issues yet, but I'm preparing for the inevitable.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
That would be good for those that are not under warranty.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Scratch what I said before, it came back. lol.
It was working perfectly for about two days... I wonder if any of the members who work at the dealership can hook us up with a kit that doesn't require us to change out the entire assembly?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Could this possibly be a safety issue? If so, I would call corporate, they will have someone on it asap to fix it.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I should have mentioned I tried messng with the switches as well before I changed out the shifter assy. The contacts were good. I can only assume the problem is on the PCBAs attached to the shifter assembly which are not individually available fron the dealer.

Originally Posted by hyukki
Scratch what I said before, it came back. lol.
It was working perfectly for about two days... I wonder if any of the members who work at the dealership can hook us up with a kit that doesn't require us to change out the entire assembly?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I should have mentioned I tried messng with the switches as well before I changed out the shifter assy. The contacts were good. I can only assume the problem is on the PCBAs attached to the shifter assembly which are not individually available fron the dealer.
Well, this is interesting. I just tried "inspecting" it again and it works normally again? I just took off my mufflers so I got to test out the shifts... Not sure how long it'll last this time. I think it might have to do with the wires connecting the switches for me so the next time it takes a dump I'll get some new wires and re-solder them and see if it helps...

Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Maybe when you do that you can post up a DIY thread.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea mine is doing the same thing. Is there any DIY or fix besides buying a new switch or module and/or taking it to the stealership, because everytime i take it, they try and ram in the @** with things or won't just fix it.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm glad I haven't had this problem knock on wood

Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same problem but little bit different..

hi guys, i am new to this site, so please be patient with me. i have 2005 g35 four doors out of all warranty. i use the manual shifter (tiptronic) so much since i installed an exhaust and i hate to put it in drive. but anyway so about three months ago the shifter stopped responding, when i shift up to + the car actually shifts down, and sometimes when i shift up it does not respond at all, and when it does either ways i push the shifter up to + and hold it for about 3 seconds it goes to D. thus, the manual shifter don't work any more until i shut off the car and turn it back on, it is really frustrated, because when i shift down it always works just fine, but it doesn't shift up, maybe in a blue moon it works sometimes but mostly it doesn't, i have not took it to the dealer yet, i have been reading and doing more research but i have not got any solution. i took the shifter counsel apart and tried to find any problems but i could not. there is one possibility but i am not sure, when i got my sound system installed they passed the positive wire through the middle counsel that could affected something there. but that been done a years ago so why the problem started now. any suggestion will be appreciated, thanks a lot...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifter Stuck In D AGAIN