Shifter Stuck In D AGAIN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Shifter Stuck In D AGAIN

So a lot of members have experienced this issue, with no manual mode and no DS mode. Its just stuck in D.

This has happened to me 2 times already. Both times it was covered under warranty since it was in 2008 and then in 2009. But now im sure the warranty has expired.

Question is....will I have to forfeit the cash for this repair? Or is there a warranty from previous work done that I can claim somehow through infiniti/dealer?

Any help would be great. Im taking it into service tomorrow morning.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I'm not positive about it, but I sure thought the dealer had a 1 year warranty on factory parts.

Let us know what they say anyway.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Have you called the dealers yet about your problem?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
VQ ur right that all genuine infiniti parts have 1-2 year warranty(depending) but considering he got it done in 2009 he's definitely not covered anymore and ill be pleasantly surprised if they honor it but its always worth a try given they dont charge you an arm and a leg for the 'diagnoses'

My suggestion is to look at the service papers they gave you from the last 2 times and confirm what was the issue and just DIY, as i recall from a while ago someone posted that it was a switch box right next to the shifter assembly, usually dealerships would replace the entire shifter assembly which included this switch/relay but if you DIY then its best to just try to get the part number for this switch.

sorry i dont have an auto else i couldve pulled the shifter trim and tried to get you a part number but im sure you can find it with some searching here and on myg37

Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
yes it was the shifter assembly that needed to be replaced. the last 2 times.

i just dropped it off this morning. the diagnosis charge is $159. just sitting and waiting on how much lower do i have to bend over.

i told the service guy what was happening, and he did look up the past receipts and confirmed them.

and of course it was working fine this morning. so i hope they dont say oh youre fine and charge me the diagnosis.

he said he will check if its under power train warranty. in other words pretending like he cares and then $$$$ bill me later.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by suby01
yes it was the shifter assembly that needed to be replaced. the last 2 times.

i just dropped it off this morning. the diagnosis charge is $159. just sitting and waiting on how much lower do i have to bend over.

i told the service guy what was happening, and he did look up the past receipts and confirmed them.

and of course it was working fine this morning. so i hope they dont say oh youre fine and charge me the diagnosis.

he said he will check if its under power train warranty. in other words pretending like he cares and then $$$$ bill me later.
How many miles are on your car? Isn't the power train warranty something like 7/70 ? If so, and considering that it's become a chronic failure on your car, I say you have a good chance.But even still, if you are totally outside of warranty, I find that expressing severe disappointment, and then pleading for some form of mitigation while still remaining nice is more effective than ranting and raving. If they "feel your pain" they are much more likely to throw you a bone (like waive diag fees or the repair labor or something) than if they are just irritated by your very existence. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
43500 miles. 07. purhcased brand new. now i have not had a good expieriance with this dealership and warranty at all. i have many many posts about my great service.

and no there isnt another local infiniti dealer in my area. second closest one is 40 miles away and its owned by the same company.

i just want to be up front with them and say this is my right or this is how it is supposed to be done. becasue unfortunatly puppy eyes do not matter for these guys at all.

thanks a lot for your input!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ i agree most dealerships really are a PITA to deal with so you have to end up being a bit stern but fyi i know one guy who posted here about same issue where dealership said that the faulty unit was a switch which is electrical and not a part of the mechanical drivetrain and therefore not covered under powertrain warranty which is unfortunate and unfair but hope they do it for you.

Keep us posted

Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
just got off the phone with them.

it is working fine for them. figures. but it has not been working at all for me all week. maybe because the temperature dropped today finally. all week when it started it was 100 degrees. and today its below 80. i dont know what that has to do with anything but if i remember correctly that was the similar scenario before, it stopped working when it was very hot.

so he said the total would be $7xx and so i did ask him if he can work on the price since it is a 3rd time this occurred so he said he can do 10% off, and i asked for a little bit more. and he said 15% anything over that will have to go to infiniti for approval.

i did also ask him if it was under powertrain warranty and this is a movable part so no.

and as it being replaced under warranty all original parts replaced under warranty have a 12 month warranty or till the end of the original manufactures warranty whichever is longer.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by suby01
just got off the phone with them.

it is working fine for them. figures. but it has not been working at all for me all week. maybe because the temperature dropped today finally. all week when it started it was 100 degrees. and today its below 80. i dont know what that has to do with anything but if i remember correctly that was the similar scenario before, it stopped working when it was very hot.

so he said the total would be $7xx and so i did ask him if he can work on the price since it is a 3rd time this occurred so he said he can do 10% off, and i asked for a little bit more. and he said 15% anything over that will have to go to infiniti for approval.

i did also ask him if it was under powertrain warranty and this is a movable part so no.

and as it being replaced under warranty all original parts replaced under warranty have a 12 month warranty or till the end of the original manufactures warranty whichever is longer.
That's too bad, sorry to hear it. As a last resort, it wouldn't hurt to call corporate customer service to see if they can offer any help. It's been known to happen, especially if you're a repeat customer of the Infiniti brand cars and/or it's a repeat failure.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Be glad your electronic throttle isn't stuck at WOT!

Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The shifter assembly in this car is a joke ... they always fail. Dealerships keep them in stock for a reason.

Replacing it yourself is very easy as long as you can get under the car to remove the linkage between the shifter and transmission. No need to completely tear apart your console either.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
u done this before ^

Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Never knew this was such a bad deal.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Anyone want to shed some light on to why mine is working? Just when i get off the freeway to see if its still broke, its now working when i am sitting at the dealers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shifter Stuck In D AGAIN