V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start

For those of you who have remote starts, do you use the factory remote or another remote. If you use the factory remote how's the distance on it?

When you get in the car what do you need to do? Do you just get in the car and go?

What prevents someone from getting in the car and driving off since there is no key?

One more thing. Someone told me that if you're supposed to press the lock button on the remote 3 times to initiate the remote start that a person could get in the car and press lock on the door 3 times and the car could start. Is that true?

Thanks

Old 01-14-2007, 09:55 AM
if you hit the brake with no key in the car it turns off

Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
factory remote stinks. 100ft line of site i've heard people say.

dei (hornet/valet/others..) remote has better range.

not sure everyone knows this trick but put the keyfob up to your chin and it works better. don't blame me if u get a tumor.

engine should shut off once they try pressing the brake to put in gear. i've read early dealer installes lacked this feature but.

never thought of this one but i would guess that pressing lock from the inside 3 times WOULD start the car. the hookup is lock wire to dei brain box. so to the dei remote stater it would look the same.

have them wire both the antenna and the lock wire to the dei brain box so you can use both the factory keyfob and the dei keyfob.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM
That is why I use Audiovox remote starts. You set them up for lock-unlock-lock. It monitors the passenger doors and as long as you do that sequence from the remote (provided you have 2-stage unlocking turned on) it will remote start. But it wont from the inside switch because that unlock does ALL doors, and the remote start sees that and won't start.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
let me clarify. if u have the installer configure your remote starter so u can use the original keyfob (ie lock 3 times) then i'm pretty sure that it doesn't know the difference if it was lock from a remote or lock from inside the car.

you can check at the12volt.com and the wiring for this is "lock motor" to "input activation" on the remote stater brain box.

here is a typical wiring that is needed for a remote starter on a g35 infiniti: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp~TID~60960

Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello to all, this is my first post.

I will be receiving an 07 G35x in a week or so.
I asked if I could have a remote starter installed. The service manager says he will not install anything that requires cutting into the main wires of the car. Should this bother me? Is there a big deal with this, or should I simply have one installed somewhere else?

This service guy also told me I could not have the S spoiler mounted to my car because the trunk or lid was different. Is this guy lazy or just out of his mind?

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by kraqcommando
if you hit the brake with no key in the car it turns off
This might be true for the Auto, I don't know, but it is most definatly not true for the manual.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bigred14
This might be true for the Auto, I don't know, but it is most definatly not true for the manual.
It's not true. 6M/T or 5A/T, you can still drive the car without the key in the passenger cabin. The car DOES NOT shut off if you depress the brake without the key fob in the passenger compartment. The only thing that'll happen is you'll hear the car beep at you to indicate that the key has left the car and then the dash will show you a "no key" sign.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I have a dealer installed remote start G35X... just tried staring the car by hitting the "lock button" 3 X (keys were in the house) car WOULD NOT START.. car tried to "turnover" no start, Car will start by hitting the lock button.. however the remote needs to be in or around the car

Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Installers are super lazy - we'll maybe not lazy but just want you out the door as fast as possible. If they fail to tie into certain wires then you will miss some features/safety items.

brake wire: if the installer doesn't tie into your brake line then the remote starter won't shut off if someone tries to drive off with it. normally you have to hit the brake to put in gear in an auto.

hood pin: your remote starter isn't supposed to remote start if the hood is open. this is a safety to prevent injury/damage if someone were working on the car. imagine if the timing chain was off the car and someone remote starts the engine. this would damage the valves causing $1000+ in engine damage. or say middle of an oil change and no oil and someone starts it up.

tach wire: if not wired your remote starter will crank for X seconds and check for voltage. if the voltage is 13+ volts then your cars on and it won't crank again. otherwise it tries to crank again. best to wire this up and the remote starter will crank for however long it is necessary until it sees the engine running. most installers do not install this line because they can get away with it and it takes another 30 minutes to find and tie into this line.

each wire these guys have to tie into take 10-30 minutes. this cuts into their bottom line, and many customers won't even know the subtle difference. they may wonder why other remote starters work slighly different from theirs as you guys note above.

5maxs1stG35X: this installer failed to install the immobilizer which tricks the G into thinking the key or keyfob is nearby.

The smart buyer should ask for the installation manual when work is claimed to be complete and go thru the "Verify Installation" section and run all the tests before leaving the installer bay. This way you force them to install all the wires ie features, your starter is capable of.

Last edited by mediabox; 02-20-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow where did you dig this thread out?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
he gave out some GREAT info for ppl who are looking into remote start i know i went to over 10shops and they all got confused with the push button then i decided to do it myself with a Pro friend and everything turned out great, so be cautious and ask questions before getting remote start on this car, the push button and i-key make things harder and is not for any ameture installer with 5x more wires...

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 PM
kool yaar...I have couple of questions since u have a 6MT and you have remote starter. Am I reading this right? You have car starter and u use the original key to start the car? What brand of car starter did u get? I thought it was illegal or something to have car starter in manual transmission car.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I have the Viper5701, You have to get a seperate module that does not allow for the car to remote start if the car is in gear so you have to get this done right the first time around to avoid any problems and yes i start the car as normal when not needed.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Just an FYI. My installer installed the Viper 5900 with remote start and used the bbk module (not the 1101) so I didnt lose a key fob. Its works great so far and Im happy to have it in the winter.

I have a 2008 G35xS.