V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

First Dyno Run in 07'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Dyno Run in 07'

Today i passed by a shop that i do alot of work with and they had some Dodge Ram on the Dyno, the manager asked if i wanted to do a quik run on it so i said sure why not. I got to do two passes. Temperature was 90/91
AT TRANSMISSION
258.04 / 232.32
263.78 / 227.39

After reviewing the only Dyno runs i could find on G35driver for an 07' were the ones TREY posted up on his Dybo day with his wife. They yielded:
6 SPEED
264.72 / 224.90
264.75 / 225.97
267.21 / 232.67

And the other Dyno run was one that John 2.5 RS posted up which was:
6 SPEED
265.39 / 233.67
266.78 / 233.08

The guy who did my dyno was telling me how location, temperature etc would definitely effect the numbers and he went along to tell me stories of competitions hes been in where the dyno numbers he got at the competition were way less than any other dyno he did at other places.

Anyways im pretty happy with the results, i wish i would have dynoed it befor the bolt ons

Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good numbers man.

Quick question: in what gear did you dyno? The first gen automatics should be dyno'd in 3rd gear, even though 4th gear is the 1:1. I don't know the specifics, but it has to do with the torque converter.

As an example, I dyno'd a bone stock 05 5AT Coupe just this past Friday. The first two pulls were in 3rd, with the last pull in 4th. All were back-to-back with no cooldown. The peak numbers were: 226 for the 1st pull, 228 for the 2nd pull, and then 222 on the last pull(in 4th). Some might argue it was heat-soak, but heat soak wouldn't set in that quickly.

My point? If the 2nd gen 5AT is anything like the first gen(and I don't see why it would be largely different), dyno in 3rd gear.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Good numbers man.

Quick question: in what gear did you dyno? The first gen automatics should be dyno'd in 3rd gear, even though 4th gear is the 1:1. I don't know the specifics, but it has to do with the torque converter.

As an example, I dyno'd a bone stock 05 5AT Coupe just this past Friday. The first two pulls were in 3rd, with the last pull in 4th. All were back-to-back with no cooldown. The peak numbers were: 226 for the 1st pull, 228 for the 2nd pull, and then 222 on the last pull(in 4th). Some might argue it was heat-soak, but heat soak wouldn't set in that quickly.

My point? If the 2nd gen 5AT is anything like the first gen(and I don't see why it would be largely different), dyno in 3rd gear.

Good point i forgot to post that info

the 2ND RUN was done in 3rd gear and the first was done in 4th. Im gonna scan the charts and post them up shortly. Both runs were done 1:1 ??? I dont know what that means

But bottom line here is 6sp puts up alot more power than automatic does. Because i am 110% sure ( or at least i think i am) that i didnt lose power with intake and exhaust. But then again im no expert so who knows? but if i did lose power from the bolt ons its not noticeable whatsoever.

Last edited by UltimateGee27; 07-10-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
But bottom line here is 6sp puts up alot more power than automatic does. Because i am 110% sure ( or at least i think i am) that i didnt lose power with intake and exhaust. But then again im no expert so who knows? but if i did lose power from the bolt ons its not unnoticeable whatsoever.
I wouldn't say that the manual has a lot more power... I think it's just that the bolt-ons don't do much.

Your best run with the bolt-ons is 263, her best run stock is 267. Putting aside all the things that should matter -- different dynos in different places, etc etc. -- that's not that far apart.

Even with Ricer Math(tm) enabled, you're looking at 3-4% between both cars.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
I wouldn't say that the manual has a lot more power... I think it's just that the bolt-ons don't do much.

Your best run with the bolt-ons is 263, her best run stock is 267. Putting aside all the things that should matter -- different dynos in different places, etc etc. -- that's not that far apart.

Even with Ricer Math(tm) enabled, you're looking at 3-4% between both cars.

yea your right her conditions were probably more favorable during her runs. But im sticking with my guns on saying the HI-FLO and full exhaust did make a difference....just not on paper , and thats where it matters the most

anyways hope more people get their G 's dynoed so we can compare!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
yea your right her conditions were probably more favorable during her runs. But im sticking with my guns on saying the HI-FLO and full exhaust did make a difference....just not on paper , and thats where it matters the most

anyways hope more people get their G 's dynoed so we can compare!!!
Well SAE compensation should take all the environmental stuff out of the equation, but you never know. And still, unless it's on the same dyno you never know...

You could very well go to another shop somewhere else and put down higher or even lower numbers. It's always a toss-up and depends on the shop and how the machine is calibrated.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 PM
hey i forgot to tell you guys i took pictures and a videoof my last run...im gonna post the video up as soon as i canon youtube and post the link...

THIS CAR ON THE DYNO SOUNDS LIKE A BEAST FROM HELL..THE HR IS A TERRIFIC MOTOR!!! I LOVE IT

Old 07-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Staff Alumni
yea your right her conditions were probably more favorable during her runs.
It's not worth comparing dynos, especially when the absolute numbers are so close. And for clarification, the conditions for her runs were awful. Temps were in the 95 to 97 degree range, with high humidity, and a falling baro. All this resulted in a correction factor of 1.06, which is the highest CF I have seen that wasn't at altitude.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 AM
I think certain mods, such as those to improve breathing at speed, would not affect dyno numbers much. The car is standing still, after all. So unless you have one of those gigantic typhoon-class compression fans (they look like a curled-up snail shell from the side) ramming air down the intake, any bolt-on cold-air systems, etc., would not matter very much.

And this might even have a negative effect on aftermarket exhaust systems as well, since they balance themselves against incoming air as well as experiencing a slight scavenging effect when the car is moving quickly through atmosphere.

Just my 2¢!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
i know many have already stated that its not worth comparing numbers from diff dynos...especially since trey did say that when cheryl did her run the conditions were horrible, but is it me or does the AT seem to have a slightly higher torque number? I see one MT dyno were its 232, but the other 2 were around 227....seems like the AT pulled 233 consistantly.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
The MT may show slightly higher numbers because of the slightly less drivetrain parasitic loss...

Old 07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by logik05se
i know many have already stated that its not worth comparing numbers from diff dynos...especially since trey did say that when cheryl did her run the conditions were horrible, but is it me or does the AT seem to have a slightly higher torque number? I see one MT dyno were its 232, but the other 2 were around 227....seems like the AT pulled 233 consistantly.
In Cheryl's case, the two pulls where the peak torque numbers were ~227 we conducted in 4th gear. The last pull was in 5th gear. With the sixspeeds, 5th has always produced numbers that were a tad higher than in 4th, but the differences were greater for torque versus horsepower.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
well no matter what the numbers are (manual versus automatic) this motor really performs good.

Here is the link for the 2nd run i recorded, at the end of the run it just makes you wanna go yeaaaaa and

Enjoy!

Last edited by UltimateGee27; 07-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
well no matter what the numbers are (manual versus automatic) this motor really performs good.

Here is the link for the 2nd run i recorded, at the end of the run it just makes you wanna go yeaaaaa and

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bctx0SyGH_c
Wow son, your car sounds disgustingly mean!!!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like an ANIMAL !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Dyno Run in 07'