V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

My morning at Fast Intentions ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I arrived at FI around noon with my still camera, video camera and tripod in tow and didn’t get out of there until around 3:00. They were finishing up the axle back portion of the system when I got there. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the prototype system is based on 2.25” tubing. The components used were mandrel bent aluminized tubing, stainless steel Magnaflow mufflers and Sebring tips. Overall, I’d say the system definitely looked great compared to the stock system that was pulled out.

I managed to take some pictures while the car was still in the shop, but was unfortunately unable to do the video clip at that time because it was raining outside.

At first start up, the car had a deeper exhaust note, but as the idle came down, it was very quiet … actually stock sounding to me. At idle, engine noise was actually more prominent. We took the car around the neighborhood to see how it sounded. By sound, you can easily tell there is an aftermarket exhaust installed, especially when the engine is under load.

Now for some driving impressions: On the way back home from FI, there was a relatively clear and level stretch of the eastbound 105 fwy (from the 405 south the 605 south) that I used for part of my “evaluation”. Just like during our drive around the neighborhood, the most noise occurred between 2400 and 2600 RPM. This doesn’t mean excessive noise either. I should say this is where the exhaust sounded it’s loudest. IMO, it was completely tolerable. I was even able to make a few cell phone calls using the car’s hands free mode without problems.

For reference, on my car:
2400 RPM = 58 MPH
2600 RPM = 61 MPH
2800 RPM = 67 MPH
3000 RPM = 70 MPH

To summarize … in real world driving, the peak noise occurs below my normal freeway driving speed. The sound will be greater for those doing a lot of city driving because at moderate acceleration in “D” mode, the car shifts in the mid 2000 RPM range. That means the car will shift when the exhaust is loudest. I don’t know if this will work, but when I go back for dyno testing, I’ll try to bring a dB meter with me to take some before and after sound readings from inside the car.

Finally, when I got all the way back home to Orange County, it was getting dark, but not raining yet so I quickly got the video camera going and recorded a sound clip before it started raining all of a sudden.

In the mean time, I’ll be driving the car around this week to see what else I can learn before going back for dyno measurements.

Additional note: FI plans to use polished stainless Sebring mufflers which they say will bring the noise level a little lower. There will also be options for aluminized tubing, stainless steel tubing and polished stainless steel tubing as well.

After Install Pictures:

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to embed the video clip, so here is the link:

I'll try to get a drive by clip up when I have a moment and the weather clears up.

Last edited by terrycs; 01-05-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! Looks Great Terry! Love the Size of those Pipes! Makes the Stock ones look so Puny! LOL. How much do you think a system like this would run when they make it for sale? More or Less than a $1000?? Can't wait to hear the Vid CLip, and to see your Dyno results! I am going to be Dynoing my G maybe next week, too see what the car does with the Stillen Intakes! So I'll let everyone know how that comes out later. Hope the Bigger Pipes don't become like a HONDA Engine does. Allot of my freinds had Honda's, and seemed the Bigger Pipes they Installed, they loss alot of Low End, and made more Power up High. Hope the G's VQ is not like that, and gains power across the Entire RPM Range!? Congrats on the New Exhaust!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:22 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Nice! I am still hitting on the F5....

Can't wait to hear it now!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Hey Alan, Sorry it took so long ... I hope you keyboard still works!

Originally Posted by Fast07GSdn
Nice! I am still hitting on the F5....

Can't wait to hear it now!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 AM

Mike ... exactly what the FI guys were concerned about when they saw Infiniti's wimpy tubing. The 2.25" tubing is also less likely to drone than 2.5" tubing because the motor simply doesn't flow enough exhaust (yet ).

As a matter of fact, they are looking to redo their earlier model sedan exhaust so if anyone is interested, feel free to contact them.

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
WOW! Looks Great Terry! Love the Size of those Pipes! Makes the Stock ones look so Puny! LOL. How much do you think a system like this would run when they make it for sale? More or Less than a $1000?? Can't wait to hear the Vid CLip, and to see your Dyno results! I am going to be Dynoing my G maybe next week, too see what the car does with the Stillen Intakes! So I'll let everyone know how that comes out later. Hope the Bigger Pipes don't become like a HONDA Engine does. Allot of my freinds had Honda's, and seemed the Bigger Pipes they Installed, they loss alot of Low End, and made more Power up High. Hope the G's VQ is not like that, and gains power across the Entire RPM Range!? Congrats on the New Exhaust!

Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 AM
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by terrycs
Hey Alan, Sorry it took so long ... I hope you keyboard still works!
haha... It's okay. I have a spare keyboard just for this kind of occasion....

So... How much do you like your new exaust system?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 AM

The final configuration will use Sebring mufflers which are polished stainless steel. I've seen them ... they look really nice! They just didn't have any in the 2.25 diameter for the prototype at the moment.

Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
stock exhaust looks like crap next to an upgraded one..i have a picture somewhere of the full stock exhaust laid out on the floor next to my Stillen and you are right it did seem like 1.25'' - 1.50'' in some areas as opposed to the stillen which is relatively much larger. I dont know how the back pressure works on our systems, and i dont know if going bigger loses power, but i really dont care if the power loss is minimal the looks alone of an aftermarket system on our G's is worth every penny.
Im sure anyone who has an aftermarket exhaust can vouch for that aswell.

Cant wait to see the pictures when you get her back

Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 AM

Even though it looks production quality, this is a prototype system so it was heavily discounted. I think the production version will be around $1K, but those interested should contact them direct ... and I believe they do group buys!

Originally Posted by Fast07GSdn
haha... It's okay. I have a spare keyboard just for this kind of occasion....

So... How much do you like your new exaust system?

Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 AM

I saw your comment on another post so I just had to!

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I love Terry's "My mornning at..." emails...

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 AM

Maybe they can schedule their dyno time for both cars together?!?!?!

Originally Posted by solopresident
ill be their very soon to. glad to hear how happy you are.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW! I really Like the Sound! None of that high End Raspiness of a Honda! Nice Low Depp melow Sound that I was Looking for! Man Can't wait till this Kit Comes Out! Looks Like my RIMS will take longer to buy with all these performance parts coming out! Waiitng for the Drive By Clips Later Terry!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda Accord
Sounds very nice! It's got a real nice tone to it. I especially like how the tone gets nicer and deeper as the rev builds up.

Do you feel any loss in power by any chance tho'? I'm thinking not, but just curious.

BTW, you have a PM Terry...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds pretty damn nice... how much did all that set you back?

Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any particular reason they didnt go with a conventional x-pipe? from the pic it doesnt look like one and on the Z forums the HR's are showing nice gains from them.

btw. NICE!!! finally, an oval muffler at the end. none of that round crap that sticks below the tip.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, just listened to the clip - I usually don't like aftermarket exhausts, but that sounds great. Looking forward to seeing the dyno, I happen to have a grand lying around...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My morning at Fast Intentions ...