V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

VDC and SLIP light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VDC and SLIP light on

Yesterday while accelerating pretty hard from the stop on the side of the highway, the SLIP and VDC light came on and stayed on. I thought I did some thing for sure so once I got off the highway, I started the car on and off and it disappeared. Any of you guys heard about this?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:49 PM
So you're saying the light came on and didn't go off until you shut the car off?? That's never happened to me before. It's possible it was a 1 time glitch, kind of like when the navigation freezes. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it continues to happen.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I've had this happen to me multiple times during hard driving and cornering at a track event. Never saw it happen during an AutoX, speeds were probably too slow.

The lights always went out after an engine restart. Over the course of two days at the track, I was able to make this happen a few ways.

-Hard right hand turn between 90 and 100 MPH with tires screaming.

-Going 130 mph down a straight and hard braking in a straight line to setup for a turn. The car would shudder as if ABS was kicking in (but no vibration in the break pedal like normal ABS)

-Hard acceleration above 90 MPH.

I've driven the car normally for 2K miles after this event and never saw the same symptoms again.

I would say the VDC computer just flipped out dealing with wheel inputs and speeds so far outside of "normal" driving. That said, I would never ask any dealership tech to try and reproduce this problem on the street.

-pete

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Is your ABS light on too?

I am taking my car in tommorrow morning for the same thing!!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by PistolPete13

I would say the VDC computer just flipped out dealing with wheel inputs and speeds so far outside of "normal" driving. That said, I would never ask any dealership tech to try and reproduce this problem on the street.
Hahaha, excellent advise

Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
On the early Z's when BOTH would come on, it would be indicative of the VDC system being COMPLETELY offline. We typically could kick the system by throwing the car into a few donuts, etc... There WAS a hack where several owners installed a switch to force the system into this mode.

I've never driven this G hard enough to do it, but all in all the systems should be near identical.

Shutting the car down and restarting will bring the system back online.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Good info there Phoenix. Confirms what I was suspecting about the computer.

RX7, I never saw the ABS light come on and/or stay on, just the VDC and SLIP lights.

The lights really played with my head on the track thinking I had no safety net until my instructor assured me that if I did everything smoothly and correctly, the electronic nannies would never be needed.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Check your brake fluid. If it's a good ways below max, your pads are probably low, so check them (front pads).

The VDC will turn itself off if it thinks your brakes are compromised.

The VDC computer doesn't "freak out". I've thrown my 07 G35S 5AT all over the track and it's always done it's job very well (actually too well, finally had to start turning it off). Throttle steering is darned near impossible with it on.

Last edited by TrunkMonkey; 01-15-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: <grammar... argh>
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had this problem twice. The first time the dealership replaced the front pads and cleaned up the rotors. The second time, well, I am still waiting for the work to be completed. This Friday will make it a total of two months without having my car.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by PistolPete13
Good info there Phoenix. Confirms what I was suspecting about the computer.

RX7, I never saw the ABS light come on and/or stay on, just the VDC and SLIP lights.

The lights really played with my head on the track thinking I had no safety net until my instructor assured me that if I did everything smoothly and correctly, the electronic nannies would never be needed.
yes, IT WAS ALL THREE LIGHTS!!

ABS, VDC, and SLIP on..

Something is messed up

Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Weird stuff here. Brake pads are good (>50%, only 6K miles on the car in easy highway driving) and fluid levels are good.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
is it me or just my clients drive these cars hard.... i'll keep both you guys anonymous on this thread lol

Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggs1219
Yesterday while accelerating pretty hard from the stop on the side of the highway, the SLIP and VDC light came on and stayed on. I thought I did some thing for sure so once I got off the highway, I started the car on and off and it disappeared. Any of you guys heard about this?
Did you try pushing the VDC button?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by kring
Did you try pushing the VDC button?
VDC button does not work under this condition.

Just got back from the dealer, the ordered a brake switch.. I don thtink that will solve it.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM
It was only the VDC and the SLIP lights and it would not turn off if I tried turning VDC off. I am going to see if it happens again, if so then I will bring it in to a dealer. I read somewhere that maybe its a faulty brake switch thats causing this so MiniRX7 let me know what happens after.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: VDC and SLIP light on