V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Remote Starter in 2007 G35 - REVIEW INSIDE (Compustar + IdataLink)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter in 2007 G35 - REVIEW INSIDE (Compustar + IdataLink)

Hey guys,

Seen a lot of threads on remote starters on the G35 2nd Gen so i decided to a review on my alarm install.

Parts Installed:
Compustar Pro Series P2W9000FMR ==> http://www.compustar.com/main.htm
Compustar 7 channel expander module ==> http://www.compustar.com/main.htm
Idatalink Immobilizer/canbus interface ==> http://www.idatalink.com/

Installation:

Despite all the arguments in the other thread about difficulty installing this unit, this isnt all that difficult to install, simply because the I-Datalinke website has an ACCURATE wiring description of how everything connects to the G35 IPDM and BCM. And just to double check everybody has access to the service manual (if you search). The IPDM is right at the battery area, and the BCM is under the passenger kick. Passing wire through requires merely a slit in the rubber grommet (which i fed my 0guage wire as well).

Operations:
OMG... everything works wonderful!!! See why:

1. Remote start works great, the range is awesome. BTW. once i remote start, and i go in to the car, I DO NOT HAVE TO PRESS THE START BUTTON on the car EVER!!!! it auto matically goes to the on position once i hit the brake and have the infiniti key in my pocket. ITs jsut a matter of unlock the door, hop in and drive off!! If you do not have the key, teh car will shut down after 3 seconds!!

2. Power window roll up/roll down - NO MODULE REQUIRED!!!! You can tap into the factory door switch (ie. using your key manually and holding in left or right position will open.close the window).. I have this set up as Auxillary channel 1 and Auxillary Channel 2.

3. Channel expander - this gives me the option to control up to 7 devices. Right now here is how it is hooked up.

Channel 1: Window roll down
Channel 2: Window roll up
Channel 3: Subwoofer Amp (Kicker/Inifity subs) disable/enable
Channel 4: Xbox power switch.
Channel 5-7 not hooked up.

4. The Compustar is MILES ahead of my Viper 5900. I cant believe i bought a piece of $hit Viper for my 300C. I will never buy any DEI product again. After having compustar in my last 3 cars, and going to a Viper 5900SST in my 300C, it was like a HUGE downgrade. The pro series Compustar is INSANE feature. Some of the notables:
a. AUTO - range deteciton When i get close to the car, the alarm will unlock automatcially. When i go out of range, it locks it.
b. FULLY CONFIGURABLE - turn on/off shock sensor remotely, get temperature and voltage information AT THE RREMOTE, even the aux channels are configurable.

All in all, I love this alarm. FORGET USING the factory key and pressing lock 3 times, or using some cheap crap. Go for the best. The factory key range is rediculous. I can start very very far away, and still ahve 2 way monitoring of my car at all times. PLUS, a compustar isnt much more than a regular alarm because the labour is pretty much the same.

Would like to note for any Toronto area people.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND LOCKDOWN SECURITY in SCAROROUGH. This guy is VERY thorough and will not quit until the job is done correctly. I watched how he installed everything (and i have installed alarms/stereos in my past) and he is very professional. Everything is very clean!! No sight of any alarm being installed.

Any questions?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
MyG37 Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats the cost on the unit itself?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
The unit is about $320 CDN on ebay.

The I datalink is about $100 on their website

Old 06-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
/me subscribed, excellent resource.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 PM
MiniRX7, what are the exact part/model numbers for the components you got to work on the G. I checked with two places near me and they keep saying its not possible. I want to rub it in their faces and then either do it myself or go somewhere else. Any chance we can get pictures or a video of it in action? Thanks.

Last edited by tony421; 06-25-2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2008, 04:31 PM
great writeup man. i would love to do something like this to my car...really cool

Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. I have had this running now for 6 months.

The parts are as listed above.

There is one catch however!! Once you remote start, and hten you get in the car, and you hit the brakes (to disable remote start and allow teh car to take over) you must wait for a few seconds before shifting the gears.

This is not the fault of the alarm or the module, but the car itself. If you dont, you will trip up the Tire pressure monitor.

But yeah i love this setup, and it is very reliable and works very well!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
MiniRx7,

I know this thread has been posted along time ago but i'm interted in this setup.

I have a coupe with Intelligent key.The nice part of the intelligent key is you can just put your key fob in the your pocket and start your car without the actual key in it. You can also lock/unlock using the pad on the door handles without reaching for your key fob.

My questions is. With your setup can you start up your car with just the Compustar key fob, like the factory intelligent key fob? Can you unlock/lock the door using the push button on the door handles with just the Compustar key fob? Or you still have to bring the factory intelligent key fob to do that.

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. My question is that can you program the Ikey to work without carrying the remote control of the Computar Pro?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM
great write up

Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 PM
nice...

sadly, if anything electrical were to go wrong that somehow involved the idatalink .. the G's BCM would get screwed up and you'd have to have a pretty cool dealer to warrant anything electrical...

I install r/s, stereos, etc... and i have a CS 2wss-as (predecessor to the pro line) .. excellent product, amazing range and reliablity .. i totally agree compustar is a great choice... i would not say,. however, that DEI is crap... DEI is the industry leader and makes a good product, sorry your personal experiences were crappy, but they were your personal experiences, not the norm. many happy DEI customers out there. And many unhappy compustar customers as well, you and I just don't happen to be those people.

If you're gunna get the r/s, my advice on the i-key G's would be to go to a certified aftermarket, legitimate, reputable shop and have it done under warranty. Give yourself a fighting chance in case something were ever to go wrong...

nice writeup

Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would love to have this done on my 6MT, but don't want to do myself and can't find anyone in CA to do it for me. Peter, if every in CA... I'll pay for your service

Old 02-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Great write up bro.

Can we see vids of this in action, i would love to see it.
It's a dream come true

Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I have to agree with Peter, DEI is by far the most reliable A/M alarm company on the market today. I had my viper in my last car for 8 years without a single problem

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by KulG35
i would love to have this done on my 6MT, but don't want to do myself and can't find anyone in CA to do it for me. Peter, if every in CA... I'll pay for your service
LOL! I'll def take you up on that...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter in 2007 G35 - REVIEW INSIDE (Compustar + IdataLink)