V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Sirius in 2008 G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 02:25 PM
No need to go by the shop. I can just look it up when I get back home.

I didn't get a PM, but I saw your post in the other thread. I wasn't real impressed with the nav traffic anyway. It was more of a "see if I could do it" thing.

Old 05-22-2008 | 11:50 PM
Got the Sirius receiver today - popped it in and was in business in about 15 minutes. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-23-2008 | 09:35 AM
Glad it worked for you. It really is a simple process, and well worth it in my opinion.

Old 05-23-2008 | 11:17 AM
|
The install really is a very simply matter!

Next up for me is to see if I can get the Sirius Traffic working. Since I completely disconnected the XM tuner from the sharkfin, XM traffic is not an option anymore. I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Al

Old 05-23-2008 | 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by OldPhart
The install really is a very simply matter!

Next up for me is to see if I can get the Sirius Traffic working. Since I completely disconnected the XM tuner from the sharkfin, XM traffic is not an option anymore. I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Al

I thought you said it required a separate interface? Maybe that was in information that you tried to PM me (never did get)? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested if you can get this to work. Good luck with it.

Old 05-23-2008 | 05:48 PM
|
Just got off the phone with Sirius Tech Support. I wanted to call them instead of customer service to be sure.

The Sirius traffice cannot be activated using the plug in tuner upgrade. The traffic requires a seperate ESN from the audio ESN. The one that displays on channel 0 is the same one that is on the tuner, which is the audio ESN>

It looks like if you want traffic on an 08, you need to leave the XM antenna in place and RECORD THE XM TRAFFIC ESN FOR FUTURE REFERENCE!!!! Doesn't look like you can do the antenna modification that I did and have any traffic service.

Oh well, I tried!

Al

Last edited by OldPhart; 05-23-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-24-2008 | 06:12 AM
Hey guys. Just got my Sirius unit from Grubbs yesterday. One question for those that put the antenna on the rear deck, how did you come up through the trunk? Did you go through the child safety seat opening? I was going to use that but was concerned that if it was closed it would pinch off the cable. Can't see of an easy way other than making a hole in the rear deck to come up through otherwise. thanks -S

EDIT: I answered my own question. Here's what I did:

- installed per bfranks instructions above
- used "spacer" (ie. double sided tape from grubbs package to mount receiver in same location as bfranks did in his photos)
- ran antenna through child seat lockdowns (made sure to run wire on top part of child seat lockdown so that cable could be easily fished through to the larger oval opening in the trunk otherwise cables would be harder to get to after sirius receiver was mounted with double sided tape)

now I just need to decide if I am going to keep the antenna at that location. When the trunk is open the signal is lost which isn't the end of the world. Once the home for the antenna is determined I'm going to put some clear easy to remove double sided tapebetween the antenna and rear deck to keep the antenna from moving around. I did this same type of setup in my BMW and found that the black paint started to wear off the antenna and mark up the rear deck when it moved around a bit (likely only a problem if you have light colored interior).

Thanks to bfranks and everyone on here that posted how to's that allowed me to keep listening to Sirius! This is great!

Last edited by sonofjay; 05-24-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2008 | 11:02 AM
Like you, I ran my antenna cable through the child seat latch. All I did to secure it was use a small section of velcro that was included (just the hook side). So far I haven't had an issue with it moving.

I've also had issues in the past when mounting the antennas on the roof / trunk so that really wasn't an option. If the rear deck hadn't worked I would have tried running it to the factory sharkfin antenna. Thanks to OldPhart, we now know that works.

Old 05-24-2008 | 12:20 PM
Ahh..the hook side of the velcro... even better than tape. I'll try that out. Thanks!

On a side note, I was impressed with all the tape/ties/etc that was shipped with Sirius unit from Grubbs. Makes the install 10x easier when you don't have to go looking for that stuff. I've never received anything like that when ordering from other places so kudos to Grubbs for including it.

Old 05-25-2008 | 04:28 PM
While discussing the Sirius receiver install with a friend he mentioned that every Sirius receiver he has installed has had a CD charger by-pass for daisy chaining a CD changer into the mix. His installs have all be aftermarket units but it got me thinking so I took a second look at the Sirius unit from Grubbs. It has a second female connector and the disconnected CD changer has a female connector. Does anyone know if this second connector in the Sirius unit will function as a pass-through? And is there a male/male connector? Not that I'll miss the CD changer but I was just curious if anyone knew.

BTW. lovin' have Sirius integrated into the G now!

Old 05-25-2008 | 07:56 PM
I'm fairly certain that's what that is, but I haven't been able to find any info on the receiver itself, so I'm not positive. Have you looked at the CD changer side of the cable that was disconnected? If it's the same plug that you need, then you should be able to buy the harness (hopefully fairly cheap), cut the connectors off, and solder the male connector in place of the female connector.

I'm going to go read up in the ipod interface for the older model G's since I'm pretty sure they use the bypass on the receivers to connect through.

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:28 AM
I'm planning on putting in the Sirius receiver tomorrow.

BFranks--Any word on the CD changer pass-through?

Old 06-12-2008 | 03:53 PM
I've been out of town for the last 4 weeks, so I really haven't looked into it yet....sorry.

Old 06-12-2008 | 04:26 PM
No problem. I hope you were on vacation!

Old 06-16-2008 | 03:38 PM
bfranks -- I got Sirius working by following your suggestions. Thanks for your pictures, etc.

One thing I had not anticipated was how tight the connector was for the wire bundle leading to the Sirius (the one that had to be disconnected from the CD changer). Other than that, it was pretty easy.

Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sirius in 2008 G35?