V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Sirius in 2008 G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008 | 02:18 PM
This may be a super dumb question, but did anyone try this in the '07? Will it not work for some reason? I am DYING to have sirius, XM is killing me daily... TYIA

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by iadbound
bfranks -- I got Sirius working by following your suggestions. Thanks for your pictures, etc.

One thing I had not anticipated was how tight the connector was for the wire bundle leading to the Sirius (the one that had to be disconnected from the CD changer). Other than that, it was pretty easy.

Thanks again.
Glad you got it working .

There isn't much slack, which is part of the reason I mounted it where I did.

Old 06-17-2008 | 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by santino_6
This may be a super dumb question, but did anyone try this in the '07? Will it not work for some reason? I am DYING to have sirius, XM is killing me daily... TYIA
The 07' and 08' models are wired exactly the same so there is no reason it wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure if you scan through the post, there is at least one 07' that got it working.....could be wrong though . Either way....no reason it won't work.

Old 06-22-2008 | 03:18 PM
Sirius Swap

I am looking at getting a Journey, but am disappointed regarding Sirius not being an option. I have read through the threads and want to make sure I understand the success you have all had with the unit from Grubbs:

1. Use the CD player wiring harness
2. CD player no longer works
3. Antenna can be easily laid on rear deck, from picture it looks okay.
4. Spot inside trunk to use double sided tape to mount.
5. Sirius is displayed/controlled on the Nav Screen

I have made a similar change in my '05 vette. Unplug the XM and plug in the Sirius. Took 5 minutes. Nav Screen still displays XM channels, but I have figured out how to navigate to the Sirius channels.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 06-22-2008 | 03:32 PM
Lets see....

1&2. You do not lose the in dash CD player. You use the wiring harness in the trunk that goes to the 6 disk changer, so you do lose the changer. It's possible that you can rig a cable to use as a pass-through with the Sirius tuner to keep the changer, but no one has done it yet.

3. I have no issues with the antenna on the back deck, but others have (likely a tint issue). You can however use the shark fin OEM antenna if need be. It's not plug and play, so I'd get that done if you aren't sure what you are doing. You will also be unable to receive XM nav traffic if you go this route.

4. The wiring harness is fairly short, so there aren't many options to mount the unit. Where I put it (pictured in previous post) made the most sense. The Grubbs unit includes everything you could possibly need to mount it.

5. The sirius channels are displayed and controlled on the nav screen. I'm not sure what issues you had with the vette, but the station numbers and even the station info (name) are displayed correctly.

As mentioned in #3, if you use an aftermarket antenna, you can continue to receive XM navtraffic while using Sirius. I've yet to see anyone that got them to come off the $9.99 a month (traffic with no XM price), but the option is there if you want it.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-22-2008 | 03:58 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I am understanding that the OEM antenna can be plugged into the Sirius unit ? Losing the traffic is no big deal, there is always traffic in Southern California.

In the vette there was XM 1/2. It displayed categories, then you find a channel within. I have got the XM 1/2 set to two channels and scroll from there.

Appreciate your help.

Old 06-22-2008 | 05:06 PM
If you look on the last few pages you will see what OldPhart wrote up about it. They basically used the aftermarket antenna cable, cut the end off (at the antenna), soldered on the correct connector, and plugged it into the OEM antenna. I don't know what connector it uses, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be to find.

Last edited by bfranks; 06-22-2008 at 05:17 PM.