V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

ITB07-007 (tapping from dash) - Anyone experience this or have it fixed??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Out of many - one people
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine happened as described in the TSB:

ITB07-007

2007 INFINITI G35 SEDAN; TAPPING NOISE FROM DASH AREA WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING
A tapping noise coming from the dash area when the engine is running at operating temperature,
NOTE: This tapping noise, if it should occur, sounds like a screwdriver being tapped on the work bench.
The tapping speed increases and decrease with the engine RPM and may require engine RPM of about 3000 for the noise to be heard.
I called dealer and he told me to bring it in. He said it has been happenning a lot to the "07 models. He said the problem is actually in the cooling system - small pieces of hard silicone type material dislodged from inside the radiator and is circulating in the system causing the noise. It makes sense that when you rev the engine the coolant pump also moves the liquid faster thereby accelerating the tapping.

Their remedy was to do a thorough cooling system flush. I had this done sometime in February and the problem has not resurfaced

Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rupdog326
Mine happened as described in the TSB:

I called dealer and he told me to bring it in. He said it has been happenning a lot to the "07 models. He said the problem is actually in the cooling system - small pieces of hard silicone type material dislodged from inside the radiator and is circulating in the system causing the noise. It makes sense that when you rev the engine the coolant pump also moves the liquid faster thereby accelerating the tapping.

Their remedy was to do a thorough cooling system flush. I had this done sometime in February and the problem has not resurfaced
This is not the issue the sound is VERY different. it's a tapping from inside the heater core. the noise we're talking about is against the glass or something in that area...

I had the silicone issue and know exactly what the sound is like.... trust me this won't fix the issue.

The easy way to identify the silicone issue. is that it ONLY occurs under acceleration usually in the 3500+ RPM range and 1/2 or more throttle. it's a rapid tapping that speeds up as RPM speeds up.

The other noise has nothing to do with the RPM's of the car. it's occasional tapping on glass or metal or hard plastic somewhere. usually when the car flexes or when the road dips. this noise is more associated with the cars body movement.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Out of many - one people
Originally Posted by kring
This is not the issue the sound is VERY different. it's a tapping from inside the heater core. the noise we're talking about is against the glass or something in that area...

I had the silicone issue and know exactly what the sound is like.... trust me this won't fix the issue.

The easy way to identify the silicone issue. is that it ONLY occurs under acceleration usually in the 3500+ RPM range and 1/2 or more throttle. it's a rapid tapping that speeds up as RPM speeds up.

The other noise has nothing to do with the RPM's of the car. it's occasional tapping on glass or metal or hard plastic somewhere. usually when the car flexes or when the road dips. this noise is more associated with the cars body movement.
I was responding to the original poster for this particular TSB ITB07-007 and relating my experience. The TSB is for the silicone issue in the cooling system.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the dealer actually help find and fix noises like that? the trunk rattling sound is driving me nuts at times.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I have the creaking noise from the dash wind shield area. My dealer took the windshield out. They traced the problem to a molding under the front edge of the windshield. A new part was ordered but isn't in yet...This was over 3 weeks ago. Should be in next week. I will post how this goes. if sun shines on the car ..and it is warm. the noise goes away. The worst case was in the cold weather. The frequency of the squeak bled though the radio...like nails on a chalkboard... I have an 08 Gx that was build in early November 07
Ed

Old 05-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by eschak
I have the creaking noise from the dash wind shield area. My dealer took the windshield out. They traced the problem to a molding under the front edge of the windshield. A new part was ordered but isn't in yet...This was over 3 weeks ago. Should be in next week. I will post how this goes. if sun shines on the car ..and it is warm. the noise goes away. The worst case was in the cold weather. The frequency of the squeak bled though the radio...like nails on a chalkboard... I have an 08 Gx that was build in early November 07
Ed
You said creaking noise. To me creaking is like squeaking (or some other high-pitched sound).

Just making sure, do you mean tapping/crackling?

Anyway, it'd be great if the dealer is able to fix the nose. Please keep us posted!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
You said creaking noise. To me creaking is like squeaking (or some other high-pitched sound).

Just making sure, do you mean tapping/crackling?

Anyway, it'd be great if the dealer is able to fix the nose. Please keep us posted!

I do not have the tapping nosie. It is a squeak/creak. Like plastic bending and interfering. It definitely sounding like something against the glass as it appeared to be from the driver side..but if you ride in the passenger seat it definitely comes closer to that side of the car. The glass windshield is a great radiator of sound!

Ed

Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by SPEEED
I have that cracking sounds usually when changing elevations such as when pulling into/out of a parking garage ramp where the chassis is bent a bit.
Yep...mine does this too. It's almost like it happens when you get some body twist. This always comes from the windshield/dash contact area for me. I am due for a new windshield, so maybe removal and re-install of a new shield+sealant will fix the problem.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eschak
Ed

Eschak... Any word on if this fixed it... Waiting impatiently

I had it going for 20 minutes on the ride into work today. I pushed on the glass and everywhere with no luck. I think the dealers identifying some molding under the front edge of the windshield is spot-on. I listed closely and it is definitely the glass and definitely at the base of the class around one foot in from the pillar.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
The dealer still doesn't have the part after 6 weeks. I should hear from them tomorrow. I will post as soon as the repair is done. right now the noise is not as loud .. I still assume there is some relation to temerature. The only difference is the temperature right now. Sunday morning it was in the high 30's and the creaking was present.

Ed

Old 05-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the silicone issue from the heater core. It was a very audible tapping at high rpm (5k+ for me). This TSB fixed the problem.

It definitely was rpm related and not a rattle.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Cracking and popping sound problem solved

This is a follow up to cracking / popping sounds coming from the base of the windshield. The problem is poor installation of the windshield. I got sick of listening to these sounds and took the car into an auto glass place and had the windshield reinstalled. They said the glass and frame were not properly primed at installation. As a result the adhesive did not properly stick and the glass would move on the mounts and frame causing the popping or cracking. They were surprised that there was no whistling but I did not experience that. They easily pushed the glass out after they removed the exterior trim. They implied it was dangerous situation. They cleaned off the old adhesive,(it peeled right off) primed the glass and frame, reseated the windshield with new adhesive, and it has been two weeks and no popping or cracking. Really careless install by Infiniti and I must say I am dissappointed that that the dealer did not take me seriously when I suggested a number of times that I thought the noise was coming from the windshield. GET THOSE WINDSHIELDS REINSTALLED IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM. Cost me $100. Now if only they could design a compression rod that gets over 100,000 kms.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Shorswill, thank you very much for sharing. Even though your G is an 03, it could very well be the same problem in the 07+. I will provide the dealer with the info posted and hopefully save myself $100.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by shorswill
This is a follow up to cracking / popping sounds coming from the base of the windshield. The problem is poor installation of the windshield. I got sick of listening to these sounds and took the car into an auto glass place and had the windshield reinstalled. They said the glass and frame were not properly primed at installation. As a result the adhesive did not properly stick and the glass would move on the mounts and frame causing the popping or cracking. They were surprised that there was no whistling but I did not experience that. They easily pushed the glass out after they removed the exterior trim. They implied it was dangerous situation. They cleaned off the old adhesive,(it peeled right off) primed the glass and frame, reseated the windshield with new adhesive, and it has been two weeks and no popping or cracking. Really careless install by Infiniti and I must say I am dissappointed that that the dealer did not take me seriously when I suggested a number of times that I thought the noise was coming from the windshield. GET THOSE WINDSHIELDS REINSTALLED IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM. Cost me $100. Now if only they could design a compression rod that gets over 100,000 kms.
+1

I took my car to the dealership tuesday and I thought I had the silicon problem, but my maintenance technician told me it was the windshield. you can test it for this problem by power braking slightly and you will hear the noise coming from the passenger side lower part of the windshield.

It took my technician a month to figure out that this was the noise, they call it the Brummley disease...since that was the owner of the car's name. My technician tried fixing the windshield problem today but accidentally messed up and cracked the whole windshield. So now my car is going to be in the shop till monday more than likely....

Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Definitely the windshield. The rattle sounds like its coming from the LCD, but really the lower passenger side windshield.

My problem is that every time the dealer touches the car, they damage something else. Maybe reseating the windshield isn't that hard to do, but I've shoved a business card down in between the windshield and the metal bar on which it rests and that seems to eliminate the rattle. It does cause some cracking and popping on the driver's side, though. Still better than the rattle which was driving me nuts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ITB07-007 (tapping from dash) - Anyone experience this or have it fixed??