V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

ITB07-007 (tapping from dash) - Anyone experience this or have it fixed??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TITLE EDIT: Knocking from windshield - Anyone experience this or have it fixed??

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB07-007.htm

I frequently have a very annoying tapping/crackling sound that comes from the top driver's side dash. The sound will only occur when I'm driving (on smooth and/or bumpy roads), but I don't think the sound increases or decrease w/RPMs as per the TSB. There's no particular pattern to the noise.

It's very difficult to pinpoint the noise but it seems to come from the area around between the dash and windshield. Before I take the car in for service (with all noise problems, I just KNOW that the sound won't appear when the technician takes the car out for testing =P), I wanna see if anyone has experience with this TSB. Thanks.

Last edited by CalsonicVQ; 02-27-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the same problem on my 08, the only thing is that i dont know how to reproduce the sound. it only happens once in a while also.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I've taken my car in for this countless times to the dealer and they were able to reproduce the noise once and replaced some of the headliner trims. The noises, however, come back uninvited and the dealer have not yet been able to pinpoint where, how, or what since.

I'm about giving up on this.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I have heard a similar sound but I always thought that it was coming from the defroster vents. Ocassionally I put pressure on them be it goes away. I may be talking about a completely different rattle though.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Funny that this thread came up, because I was thinking about starting a thread today! I heard some crackling noises coming from the front. For me, the sound seemed to be coming from the air vents to the left of my steering wheel. I had just turned the A/C on. I am wondering if it was just the shrinking of the material being blasted with cold air. It was annoying though, particularly for a brand new car!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
I too was about ready to start a thread on this. I have the same cracking noises coming from the dash and have not been able to identify the source. Mine sounds like it's the windshield cracking or something tapping against the glass 1 time. it does it at various conditions and times, no rhym or reason. it seems like it's contraction and expansion of two pieces, in my case one definitly sounds like it's the glass where it meets the drivers side of the dash.

I had the issue in the TSB and I can tell you they have nothing to do with one another, the TSB sound is a completely different noise and can easily be reproduced. The noise I'm hearing, which I think is what others are hearing. is a dash trim or windshield noise.

It's not the contraction of the AC vents because mine does it and I havn't used AC in months.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I have this issue in my G37. I haven't bothered to take it in because it really doesn't bother me and it seems to be intermittent. I think it occurs when the climate controle adjusts or cuts on or off... It is very faint in my car but I can hear it when my music is all the way off.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 04-11-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:00 AM
...and I thought no one else had this problem since i've never seen any threads about it. Anyway, the sound when it happens is VERY noticeable, even with music on. Beside this tapping/crackling sound, I also get a tapping sound that seems to come from the steering column.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by befree112
I've taken my car in for this countless times to the dealer and they were able to reproduce the noise once and replaced some of the headliner trims. The noises, however, come back uninvited and the dealer have not yet been able to pinpoint where, how, or what since.

I'm about giving up on this.
I don't think the headliner has anything to do with this particular noise since it seems to be from the dash/windshield area. It sucks that your dealer can't fix the noise. It's really noticeable and REALLY annoys me.

I hope my dealer can fix the noise, because I purchased the car and planned to drive it into the ground..but now I don't know if I can stand to keep it that long.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I've also experienced this noise, but personally, I think it comes from the LCD screen or something related to it. It only comes up when I am turning the car, so I think it has to do with the car's body twisting. It even happens on those long winding roads. But when the car goes straight, the sound never comes up. Even when I go over bumps.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Hard to believe this is still a problem even with newer models. This tapping/ cracking started on my 03 in 2007. It started after I took it through a car wash but that is probably just a coincidence. The wash included wax and undercoat. I subsequently took it to the dealer. We were able to reproduce the sound. They took the dashboard apart but could not resolve the problem. I replaced the foam strip under the cowl and it seemed to help but this spring it has come back again. #@#$%&^&&**^%$$^*. Like everyone said it happens when going over a bump that causes the body to perhaps 'twist'. I find that it is also temperature sensitive. I also notice that if you put your hand against the windshield, you can 'feel' the crack.

I am thinking that perhaps it is how the windshield is seated. I noticed that when I removed the cowl, the strips that insulate the windshield from the mounts are very thin. I am thinking about having it reseated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this attempt to cure?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Funny I was just thinking again about this thread. I had this string of tapping today that just drove me nuts, normally it's like a few taps then gone... but this was like someone was shaking a can of spray paint with the metal ball in the can.. it went on for about a minute.

I have tried to locate it and cant. In my opinion (as I stated in earlier posts) I really feel it's the windshield. I does not sound to me like it's coming from inside the dash. It may even be coming from outside the car but because it's glass it resonates inside. I jamed some paper in the trim by the windshield and had no luck....

I'm still searchin' ....................

Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Bad Toro
I have that cracking sounds usually when changing elevations such as when pulling into/out of a parking garage ramp where the chassis is bent a bit.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
RCK
The tapping noise on my 07G35S comes from the metal sleeve covering the stem connnecting the rear view mirror to the windshield. It is a loose sleeve that ratttles or taps on bumps and on severe side to side movements. I squeeze the stem periodically to keep it in place. The rattle stops for while then returns.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
(^ RCK - The sounds are not related to the rear view mirror. The tapping/cracking sounds in question are loud and noticeable and appear to come from the glass/dash area, although like kring said above, it actually be inside or outside the glass.)

Good to see that this thread is still alive. Yes, the sounds drives me nuts!

My commute to/from work is ~25mi each way. Sometimes I don't hear the tapping sounds, but a lot of the time they start halfway through my evening commute. At first I thought it was temperature dependant, but then the other day, the strings of tapping and crackling noises happened early in the morning from the time I left home to when I got to work!! 30 min of constant noise!! ARGH!!

Anyway, when it does happen, bumpy roads seem to make it worse, but it'll also happen when I'm cruising on perfectly smooth roads.

I've tried pressing and feeling on different areas of the dash to isolate the noise but can't feel anything. Like shorswill said above, I will try feeling the glass next time I hear the sounds. It'll be helpful information to tell the dealer.

I agree that the windshield might need to be reseated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ITB07-007 (tapping from dash) - Anyone experience this or have it fixed??