V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Garmin GVN-52

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
PTP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garmin GVN-52

Hello,
Wanted to ask if anyone here has installed the Garmin GVN-52 [ https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=361 ] ?

There was a post on this [ https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...center+console ] but I couldnt follow some stuff

So, i needed some help with:

1. How do I get the center console off?
2. Why did he connect to the cigarette lighter AND the battery? Why not just the cigarette lighter?

[and yes I tried to contact the original poster but no response]
thanks all

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM
I plan to purchase. PM me and we can talk via email.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Wei
center console is pretty easy/straight forward, you need to download the manual just to be sure (it's on this site)

as far as i can remember, the trick for me was to get the a/t **** off, lol
push/tug the leather thing down, and there's some clip

to get to the console, you'll need to 'pop' the console up, from the shifter, you need to grab the console from the inside and prop it up since it's held up by clips all around the edges, once you have it up, it's easy street

i used newmexicog's method of powering the unit, i have it in the trunk as well (search for his locked thread, i basically followed his example instead because i wanted it to be in the trunk as well)

hope this helps

Old 06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
PTP
Originally Posted by Wei
center console is pretty easy/straight forward, you need to download the manual just to be sure (it's on this site)

as far as i can remember, the trick for me was to get the a/t **** off, lol
push/tug the leather thing down, and there's some clip

to get to the console, you'll need to 'pop' the console up, from the shifter, you need to grab the console from the inside and prop it up since it's held up by clips all around the edges, once you have it up, it's easy street

i used newmexicog's method of powering the unit, i have it in the trunk as well (search for his locked thread, i basically followed his example instead because i wanted it to be in the trunk as well)

hope this helps

could you please elaborate on the the newmexicog method of powering the unit? I dont follow it completely? Is is taking the power wires from the garmin unit in the trunk through the space under the driverside side door sill trims and then tapping into somewhere in the fuse box?
how do you actually tap into the fusebox wiring?
is it as simple as splicing into a wire of your choice? or am i missing something?

ALSO,

in ON_6MT's method he, "two more (ground and acc) went to the cigarette lighter and tapped into it" but then in step 5 he "remove battery cover and pull through third cable to batt"
whats the point of set 5?? if you're already taping into the cigarette lighter?

thanks
[and the more detail the better]

Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Wei
I just spliced my power to the tel adapter loom (for power source) in the trunk like he did, nothing to do with the fuse box or battery at all,

memory is fuzzy since I did this sometime last year, but I had to take out interior trunk panels so I can get to the power source, there's the tel adapter, xm radio and probably many others you can splice from, they're hanging above the trunk, and below the rear speaker deck, there's alot of stuff in between the space, I suggest downloading the service manual, it'll tell you which wires are constant/acc/ground/etc...

there's a blue wire from the GVN, that goes nowhere, it's some audio mute option that I don't use

other than that, the 3 super duper long rca wires, I had to run through and underneath the rear seats, under the carpet, under the armrest into the aux inside the console

Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
PTP
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the "tel adapter loom" exactly?
I cant fin d reference to this in the service manuals?

also, if I splice into this tel adapter loom then does that maintain some power to the unit even when the car is off?
if not, wont the unit reset every time the car is turned off...in the sense that the stored info (previous destinations etc...) will be lost?

thanks

Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Wei
Originally Posted by PTP
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the "tel adapter loom" exactly?
I cant fin d reference to this in the service manuals?

also, if I splice into this tel adapter loom then does that maintain some power to the unit even when the car is off?
if not, wont the unit reset every time the car is turned off...in the sense that the stored info (previous destinations etc...) will be lost?

thanks
tel adapter unit is your handsfree unit, you can find it under the AV section of the service manual, the physical unit itself is in the trunk

there's a wire diagram section under the tel adapter unit, and you splice the power on the gvn per the diagram to the tel adapter unit, acc to acc, ground to ground, etc etc

no, the unit retains all the info, recent searches/folders/set destination/set addresses/any stored info/etc etc, even logs some info like top speed and other time info

and it uses a SD card to update things and such...

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
PTP
thanks, that clears things up a lot.

how did you physically get the RCA wires from the unit to the jacks? That seems complicated?

sorry to bug you with these questions but I really appreciate it.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Wei
it's not difficult, could be somewhat cumbersome, I had to take out the rear seats, run the wires through, and then under the carpet, under the armrest and then I got lazy and ran it through from the rear portion of the armrest on the inside... there are different ways of running it into the armrest, you can drill holes, if you don't use ipod, you can unplug the ipod adapter (if you have the 08), you can unplug the aux outlet and run it thru there too...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
PTP
hey wei,

where (or to what) did you physically attach the unit onto in the trunk? did you use screws or the straps.

also, I havent spliced wires in some time. did you basically strip a section of the car power wire and wrap the end of the unit power wire to it and cover it w/ electrical tape? or is there something more intensive?

thanks

Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Wei
i used some velcro tape that comes with the unit and it'll attach to the interior carpet pretty well

my opinion, best way is to solder the connection, next best way is crimping it with that crimp connector thingy, just cutting/splicing and then electrical is ghetto, haha, it works but connection may come loose overtime... you can always go to your local home depot and see what they have and ask the people there on how to splice wires...

Old 06-15-2008, 08:39 PM
PTP
satellite pre-wired harness in the trunk?

Does the 07 G35s Bose non-nav MT sedan have a unused satellite pre-wired harness in the trunk?

As shown here in the top pic

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...3&d=1206050060

If so, could this be a possible power source for the Garmin GVN-52 unit?

Thoughts?

thanks