Canada Serving Canada.

aftermarket GPS for use in Canada - TomTom? Garmin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question aftermarket GPS for use in Canada - TomTom? Garmin?

The wifey's navigation skills are somewhat lacking, and my G didn't come with Navi, so I need to buy something so I stop getting lost.

I'm looking at these models:

Garmin StreetPilot C330 (http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/)

TomTom One (http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=233&Category=0&Lid=1),

I have no idea which to buy.

They're both about $500, and both are well-reviewed.

I like the TomTom becuase it's slim enough to fit in the storage cubby where the OEM Navi goes, but I'm concerned that TomTom is UK-focused as a company and is just now breaking into the North American market, therefore their map data may be lacking. Garmin has been putting out solid product in N. America for years, but their C330 is too big to fit in the cubby.

So do I take a risk on an unknown product (the TomTom) because of convenient packaging, or go with the de facto standard (the Garmin)?

Does anyone have experience with either of these models, or perhaps others I should look at?

PS - My driving is almost 100% within Toronto, if that helps narrow things down.

Last edited by 350Zed; 11-09-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I own a Garmin Streetpilot c330 and love it. I have ordered Nav in my 07 and people who I have loaned my portable to want to buy it, but no way I will keep it for my truck and rentals.
Since I have purchased it, a few of my friends have also purchased one and they have good reports about it. I did a report on it here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...in+streetpilot
Oh and it works well in the cubby.
If you have any questions PM me
Wayne

Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^+1 on the Garmin. I think they are even less $$ than that now.

My wife is uses it and likes it and she is a hates technology, cell phones, VCR remotes etc.

Shane S., FYI I am the technology guru in this household. LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
^+1 on the Garmin. I think they are even less $$ than that now.

My wife is uses it and likes it and she is a hates technology, cell phones, VCR remotes etc.

Shane S., FYI I am the technology guru in this household. LOL
Right....Tech Guru, just like me

Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by GEE35X
Right....Tech Guru, just like me
I knew you could relate too.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how about pioneer avic- s1??

I am looking for one too in vancouver....

Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried a Magellan Unit a while back, and didn't really like it, even when I used it in the US.

Never tried the Garmin Units.

I've been using TomTom's software on my PDA for over a year, and I've very happy with it. If your concern is that they are Europe based, I'd say it's not really an issue. The reviews of TomTom in the US are very good as well.

The only issue is that for Edmonton, input for streets requires that you select the street name or number by area which can be a little cumbersome if you're not sure what area the address is in. Doesn't seem to be an issue in the other cities that I've been to however, where the interface is intuitive and easy to use.

In fact, I thought recently that if I were to go with a Portable Unit, I'd get the TomTom GO 910.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 350Zed
The wifey's navigation skills are somewhat lacking, and my G didn't come with Navi, so I need to buy something so I stop getting lost.

I'm looking at these models:

Garmin StreetPilot C330
TomTom One (
I have no idea which to buy.

T.............

Does anyone have experience with either of these models, or perhaps others I should look at?

PS - My driving is almost 100% within Toronto, if that helps narrow things down.
My wife & daughter are using the Garmin 330 and are happy with it.
The free updates are nice too.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the Garmin Nuvi? It's compact and I've used Garmin on my pda in the past and swear by it. Take a look at www.radioworld.ca

Nuvi 350: http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...roducts_id=736
Nuvi 360: http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1147
Nuvi 660: http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...oducts_id=2510

Each model adds features, but the 350 will easily work very well as a nav unit. The others add bluetooth for your cell, larger screen, etc. None of which may be important to you.

I have no experience with Tom Tom, but have read mixed reviews. Generally, those that haven't tried anything other than Tom Tom, rave about it. then there are those that have had Tom Tom after owning Garmin and they don't seem as pleased as they were with Garmin.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Rated M

^ I see the Garmin is on sale right now at Future shop. $449.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by akrus
How about the Garmin Nuvi? It's compact and I've used Garmin on my pda in the past and swear by it. Take a look at www.radioworld.ca

Nuvi 350: http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...roducts_id=736
Nuvi 360: http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1147
Nuvi 660: http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...oducts_id=2510

Each model adds features, but the 350 will easily work very well as a nav unit. The others add bluetooth for your cell, larger screen, etc. None of which may be important to you.

I have no experience with Tom Tom, but have read mixed reviews. Generally, those that haven't tried anything other than Tom Tom, rave about it. then there are those that have had Tom Tom after owning Garmin and they don't seem as pleased as they were with Garmin.
It looks like Radioworld.ca carries both the TomTom One and Garmin Nuvi 350 in stock and on-sale, so I'm going to head up to their shop this weekend and "test drive" both.

Thanks for the tip!!!

[And thanks to everyone else for your help!]

Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 AM
The Tom tom One certainly has a good mix of features for it's price (I like the bluetooth for the phone). It seems to be fairly well received by those in the US and Europe, I haven't found anyone speaking of it's Canada maps, however.

The two problem areas I've read about the One are weak POI db and poor battery performance. the POI is somewhat important to me as I use that frequently when travelling - the battery life isn't an issue as I would just leave it connected to dc. Oh, it also had some reports of the sd card not staying in place, but I think that may be resolved by now.

If someone has experience with Tom Tom in Canada, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
My dad has been using the Garmin StreetPilot for the last year in his Toyota, and it is very easy to use. It's a pretty big unit, and I think you have to use it with the DC adapter. The garmin maps and voice directions are very easy to follow. Unfortunately on this higher end model, the map updates cost about $150 each time.