V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

intelligent key lokout solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb intelligent key lokout solution

Since I"m 110 miles from the nearest dealer, losing my fob and getting locked out is of concern. I didn't want to put the $100 fob in a magnetic key box for fear of loss or damage. Besides, if you put the fob near the trunk, then the trunk won't lock. Here's my solution.
1. Get a spare fob (this is the expensive part)
2. Put the mechanical key (or get a extra one made - cheap to do) and put it in a magnetic box hidden under the rear bumper near the left tailpipe. If it falls off easy/cheap to replace. This will get you in the car, but won't start the car. Once in the car, pop the hood.
3. You can't put the fob anywhere in the interior or the doors won't lock. I even tried putting it in a metal case but doors still would not lock.
4. Put the fob in a second magnetic box. I found one big enough (bearly) at Autozone and am looking for one a bit bigger. Mount it under the hood in the well on the left rear of the engine conpartment marked "Brake Fluid". It is covered by a plastic door for protection and appears to be fully enclosed so if the magnet fails the fob will still be contained. Use duct tape as an extra precaution. At least on my car, the doors WILL lock with the fob in this location.

Comments or a better solution would be aprecciated.
Missilemonger.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
It's simply, really. don't lose it.

I'm about 60 miles from the nearest dealer and I have never thought of losing my keys.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by missilemonger
Since I"m 110 miles from the nearest dealer, losing my fob and getting locked out is of concern. I didn't want to put the $100 fob in a magnetic key box for fear of loss or damage. Besides, if you put the fob near the trunk, then the trunk won't lock. Here's my solution.
1. Get a spare fob (this is the expensive part)
2. Put the mechanical key (or get a extra one made - cheap to do) and put it in a magnetic box hidden under the rear bumper near the left tailpipe. If it falls off easy/cheap to replace. This will get you in the car, but won't start the car. Once in the car, pop the hood.
3. You can't put the fob anywhere in the interior or the doors won't lock. I even tried putting it in a metal case but doors still would not lock.
4. Put the fob in a second magnetic box. I found one big enough (bearly) at Autozone and am looking for one a bit bigger. Mount it under the hood in the well on the left rear of the engine conpartment marked "Brake Fluid". It is covered by a plastic door for protection and appears to be fully enclosed so if the magnet fails the fob will still be contained. Use duct tape as an extra precaution. At least on my car, the doors WILL lock with the fob in this location.

Comments or a better solution would be aprecciated.
Missilemonger.
How about getting an extra FOB and taking the battery out. Remove the key from the FOB and hide it on the exterior of th car with a magnetic key holder. Then hide the batteryless FOB somewhere inside the car. You need to separate them because you don't want to put the FOB near a magnet. Use the key to get in the car and then put the FOB in the Intellegent Key Port to start the car. Since the FOB has no battery it won't emit a signal, therefore you should be able to keep the FOB in the car.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:35 PM
When you bought the car, the dealer gave you 2 fobs. You leave the second fob always at home, and if someday you lose your main fob. Ask a friend, girlfriend, wife, etc... to give a ride home and get the other fob. Start the car and drive away. Easy no overthinking situations.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 PM
intelligent key lock out

Well yeah,
Except, if I'm far from home, I would not like to wait.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Well Alti35, nobody will ever accuse you of overthinking the situation

Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 AM
My G will allow me to lock the doors will one fob inside the cabin(found this out the weekend I bought her and took her on a road trip). The car is smart enough to know that one is outside the car and the other one is inside. Is this not how everyones works?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya mine does that too, when i got the car i left the second fob in the car, and it still locked just fine.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just keep the fob in your pocket and never change your pants

Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
If you never turn off the car, then you will never need the FOB

Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
I bet a piercing to keep the fob on you at all times would work, too.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 PM
1. give it to al gore to put in a "lockbox"
2. Call Al Gore
3. Oh damn... you lost your cell phone too

Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
G35driver101
YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
In my defense, my dealer didn't kow this either and, at least on my 07' Sport, if you lock the car useing either the manual lock or the power lock on the door, it won't lock if there is a key inside, even if you have one on the outside; but, if you use the fob to lock it, it will lock. So it goes.