V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Does Snow Mode mean AWD all the time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Snow Mode mean AWD all the time?

I heard that AWD is only up to 12MPH, but if Snow Mode is activated can that make AWD even after 12 MPH? In Chicago, sometimes you never know if there's an ice or snow patch on the road that might cause the RWD (after 12MPH) to spin, so if AWD is on all the time then i'd feel safer. I have driven car with RWD in the snow before and it was not a pleasant experience.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
AWD is designed to detect slipage.

That means that if one wheel begins to slip, the car will send more power to the wheel(s) that have traction and aviod slipping. Ice and cars, even AWD cars, is not a good combination.

AWD is active at all speeds all the time. AWD cars do much better at the track, as far as grip is concerned, for that reason. Witness the Gallardo on a track and you'll see what I mean, the same goes for the Porsche Turbo and the non-turbo C4S.

The "snow" button does activate that feature only up to 12 MPH.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure correct me if i'm wrong but from what i know, our cars are awd up to 12mph but if you turn snow mode on it's awd to 20mph and it retards the throttle response to stop you from spinning out. But our cars would redirect power on the fly if slip is detected.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
I'm not sure correct me if i'm wrong but from what i know, our cars are awd up to 12mph but if you turn snow mode on it's awd to 20mph and it retards the throttle response to stop you from spinning out. But our cars would redirect power on the fly if slip is detected.
They are rear wheel drive unless slip is detected then it provides traction to that wheel at all times so you have awd capabilities at all speeds.

If you press snow mode you get power to 50% to the front and 50% to the back up to 12 mph (20km/hr). Then it reverts back to regular AWD after those speeds. In snow mode it also reduces power to prevent slippage up to 12 mph.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 12-02-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay i'm wrong. lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Csquared
okay i'm wrong. lol.
We all know one thing for sure:
The X Rocks
...................................... ..................................

Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
^^+1000000000000000000000000

Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
They are rear wheel drive unless slip is detected then it provides traction to that wheel at all times so you have awd capabilities at all speeds.

If you press snow mode you get power to 50% to the front and 50% to the back up to 12 mph (20km/hr). Then it reverts back to regular AWD after those speeds. In snow mode it also reduces power to prevent slippage up to 12 mph.
I was going to ask you what the normal behavior is with the AWD system, as I had always heard AWD until 12mph.

A quick search found this from Road and Track.

The G35x's center diff is responsible. From 0 to 10 mph, its electromagnetic wet clutch splits the torque 25 percent front/75 percent rear for good grip off the line; thereafter, the car is 100-percent rear drive until rear-wheel slip is sensed. Then, the diff can send as much as 50 percent of the power forward. Although other awd systems will produce different results, the G35x proves that all-wheel drive, properly applied, can give you the best of both worlds. — Andrew Bornhop

So then? 0-10 mph with a 25/75 split in normal mode and 0-12 mph 50/50 with reduced torque in snow mode. Sound right?

For what its worth and not really the right thread, but I will add that the all season tires Dunlop Sportmax tires have not been terrible thus far in snow. I would rate them so so, but so far doable. Tested in light snow and about 4 inches or so. Still evaluating whether to buy snow tires. I will say that I thought the snow mode seemed fairly effective.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:54 PM
That is from R & T my info came from Infiniti
That sounds reasonable , what they said

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Here is info from infiniti which explains quite a bit.

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2...ech.shtml(this info is from an Infiniti site)

The key to the performance of the new all-wheel drive G35 is its state-of-the-art ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive system, which is arguably one of the most advanced on-pavement all-wheel drive systems in the world.

The ATTESA E-TS, which stands for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split, utilizes an electro-magnetic clutch control design (in contrast to typical oil pressure clutch control) to provide quicker response, lighter weight (approximately 22 pounds lighter than a similar oil pressure clutch control design with center differential) and true variable torque distribution, ranging from 50:50 up to 0:100 percent front-to-rear ratio (versus fixed ratio competitive systems).

Some of the G35 system's benefits over front-wheel drive-based AWD systems with traditional center differentials include:

Faster torque distribution control response to changes in road conditions
Ability to adjust torque without the onset of wheel spin allows G35 to uniquely optimize the torque distribution based on driving conditions
Better base performance due to rear-wheel drive base layout (versus front-wheel drive based AWD layouts)
Better standing start performance on snow through use of Snow-Mode switch

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

"Only the all-wheel drive G35 feels like a rear-wheel drive performance sedan, giving the drivers in Northern climates all-season driving enjoyment," said Igo.

Note: this is info I saved from the 1st Gen

Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
That is from R & T my info came from Infiniti
That sounds reasonable , what they said
Yep I know, not sure if that's good or bad. Don't know R&T's rep, but this sounds a bit sarcastic. I wasn't challenging your claim, but rather trying to understand normal AWD behavior of this car.

So from a standstill its rear wheel drive unless a slip is detected or VDC kicks in?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by chapter29
Yep I know, not sure if that's good or bad. Don't know R&T's rep, but this sounds a bit sarcastic. I wasn't challenging your claim, but rather trying to understand normal AWD behavior of this car.

So from a standstill its rear wheel drive unless a slip is detected or VDC kicks in?
No, no I wasn't being sarcastic, thats a good find and I was anxious to read it some more

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Roger.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
+1 to everything up above.

The Dunlops on the X Sport suck in the snow btw. We got a little snow, and they are godawful.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by chapter29
Roger.
I actually just finished reading the 11 pages on R & T and watching the vids. It was a good read. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does Snow Mode mean AWD all the time?