V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

vdc and slip light on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Hey guys....
I don't trust my OF memory cells much these days...
but FWIW;
Wasn't this also related to a low brake fluid warning (not just the pads)
Ian I already checked my brake fluid level and it was okay and my brake rotors, pads and calipers were checked less than 2,000 kms ago.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
OK... OF Mem cells fresh out of ideas.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
OK... OF Mem cells fresh out of ideas.
Thanks for trying Ian.
They wanted me to bring the car down to Guelph and leave it again to check it out.
I'm getting fed up with this back and forth stuff. I'm not taking it since I will picking my daughter up at the Airport tomorrow. Hopefully it won't give me more problems until I get it there in a few weeks.

Here is another 5 pages of the same problem: vdc-slip-lightl

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-18-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is very...VERY common with many different vehicle manufacturers. Your brake pads get worn down and as a result, the brake fluid gets lower in the master cylinder. If the lights are on and staying on there's a 98% (yes I made that up) chance that your fluid is low. Some service techs will fill up the fluid to make the light go away but the lights are a way of indicating the pads are worn and it shouldn't be ignored by topping off the fluid.

edit: nvm I see that's already been said.

Last edited by Scooby24; 03-23-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Scooby24
This is very...VERY common with many different vehicle manufacturers. Your brake pads get worn down and as a result, the brake fluid gets lower in the master cylinder. If the lights are on and staying on there's a 98% (yes I made that up) chance that your fluid is low. Some service techs will fill up the fluid to make the light go away but the lights are a way of indicating the pads are worn and it shouldn't be ignored by topping off the fluid.

edit: nvm I see that's already been said.
That is not the case with my car. I have found out I can get it to do this when I "give her". the VDC-OFF light and Slip Light come on and stay on till I restart the car.
I checked the fluid level in my brake resevoir and it is halfway between minimum and maximum.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-24-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Hey guys....
I don't trust my OF memory cells much these days...
but FWIW;
Wasn't this also related to a low brake fluid warning (not just the pads)
Well, as I said before my brakes were checked around 2,000 kms ago and I went out and checked my brake fluid and it was midway between Maximum and Minimum Level.

I could get the lights to come on every time after winding the car out through first and second from a standing stop. They would come on around the time I was going into third.
So I got thinking about this brake fluid level thing again and perhaps when under hard acceleration the fluid was forced back and somehow triggering the low brake fluid level.
Many people here mentioned that could be the cause.

So, today I had some Dot3 brake fluid in the basement, I figured what the heck, why not. I topped the reservoir up to the maximum line and used less than 2 ounces.

I went out right afterwords and hammered the car through the gears in the same manner as before. No warning lights
I wound it up again, and again. Same result. No warning lights
Wow this saved me a trip to the Stealers, but boy oh boy, this car is soooo sensitive to brake fluid level in the reservoir.
Hopefully, no more warning lights.

Thanks so much to Ian and all the others that clued me into this.
I'm thinking since this has happened to quite a few, thjis should almost have a sticky about the VDC-OFF light and SLIP Light coming on because of brake fluid levels, even though it is still in the acceptable level in the reservoir.

The following users liked this post:
aamir89 (10-30-2012)
Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
hey that's great Wayne!
especially in your case since the dealer is so close by.

Good idea about a sticky....
Maybe a condensed version of this thread would be good.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for condensed & Sticky. I am experiencing the exact same problem on my 04 Sedan, and I know the brake pads are low (starting to squeak). I'll check later, but this almost has to be the cause.

Note: Sometimes it is just the VDC OFF & SLIP lights, sometimes it also includes the BRAKE light.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now it's happended to me!! :(

Need help guy! Mine VDC,ABS and Slip light was on last night without doing anything. This is first time for me!! I just get out of restaurant and start the car and it's on.WTF!!! I restart like4 time still!! Any idea?
I will check mine brake pad and Fluid now.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by earth0
Need help guy! Mine VDC,ABS and Slip light was on last night without doing anything. This is first time for me!! I just get out of restaurant and start the car and it's on.WTF!!! I restart like4 time still!! Any idea?
I will check mine brake pad and Fluid now.
In my case the VDC OFF and SLIP lights would come on under hard acceleration because the brake fluid was only down a little bit, it was still between the max and min level. The lights would go off after a restart and would not come on again unless I really accelerated hard. I guess the brake resevoir level would splash back and register a low level.
I only added less that 2 ounces of brake fluid to correct this problem. You must also note that it is an indicator that your pads are wearing, and you should check them. I checked mine and there is lots of wear left on the pads.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Update:
I've check the Brake Fluid level and it was just 2mm lower than Max.so i fill it up with Dot3 brake fluid.
Test:
Start the car and Light still on
Test (HARD) drive on highway about 10 miles and light still on.
Came back: Shut off engine and restart and Light was gone
Test 2nd Hard Drive: and Yeh No more Light!!!!

Specially thanks to GEE35X!!! TY! Bro.

Anyway let's cross mine finger hope it's not happend again soon cause i'm getting sick and tire with the G sensitively.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Excellent , glad that helped earth0

Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
2nd days of No light!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I was also quite relieved when it cured my warning light problem.
The dealership wanted me to take the 2 hour drive there and leave it for a day to check it out while I would have to take some crappy loaner home.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
I know how you feels mann. mine location even worst!! NYC!!! Sh*t!! im sorry for Bad Feedback but this is NYC!! Only Money Talk!!!
Some Sales DEPT even promised me to take care of mine G and never got back to me.There is only 3 stealer in NY.Im very pleased! with G35driver.com for helping me solved the ploblem!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vdc and slip light on?