V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

keys locked in my G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
keys locked in my G

I got up for work at 7am today like i usually do and go to get in my car which is always parked in my garage unlocked with my keys in it. My car door was locked so i figured the keys where in my house after looking for an hour i went back to my car and look in the car a little better and saw my infiniti key fob in my cupholders of the center consule.

Why did my car lock with the keys in it?

has this happened to anyone else?

I thought this was impossible...my battery was fine so im wondering why this happened?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
this is one of my biggest fears. especially when warming up my car in the winter since the dealer only gave me the one fob....

i hope someone posts how you can get in just in case it happens to me! good luck!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I called my dealer and had them pay a roadside assistance company to unlock it by breaking in through the door jam.

however i am curious if this has happened to anyone else with an 07-08 sedan?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Hmm.. I have yet to see my car lock itself for no reason.

With that being said, I no longer keep my keys in my car.
I used to do that as well. I keep my car in a locked and alarm protected garage. My Jeep Grand Cherokee was rear-ended and my rental was a brand new GMC Yukon with 200 miles on it. I get it home and park it in the garage (leaving the keys in as I always did). An hour later, I go down, open the door and drive it to the grocery store. After getting home, I park it in the garage again. Soon after, I realized that I left my bottle of soda in the truck, so I walk into the garage, open the passenger door, grab my soda and as I shut the door, I hear "CLUNK"... doors are locked.

WTF did they lock then and not before?!? I call Enterprise, they dont have another key. I waited 6 days for GMC to cut a new key and by then, my Jeep was ready. Never really got to abuse the Yukon.

I no longer keep my keys (or fobs) in the car now.
I've come to the conclusion that cars are possesed like in Maximum Overdrive and they are secretly planning our demise.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
this is one of my biggest fears. especially when warming up my car in the winter since the dealer only gave me the one fob....

i hope someone posts how you can get in just in case it happens to me! good luck!
You can lock the door when it is running. I'll do that all the time at winter. I go out start the car and get out with the fob. lock it and walk away.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by RemmyZero
this is one of my biggest fears. especially when warming up my car in the winter since the dealer only gave me the one fob...
When I warm up my car I get out and hit the lock button on the fob while I'm walking back into the house. There is no reason to leave the fob in the car while its warming up.

Nissan is one of the only companies that will let you use your fob while the car is running. I know both Toyota & Honda disable the fob once the car is started.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
the car was off and in the past even if i tried to lock the key fob in the car it would beep really quick a few times to let me know my keys were in the car and i cant lock it..

Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewsG35s
the car was off and in the past even if i tried to lock the key fob in the car it would beep really quick a few times to let me know my keys were in the car and i cant lock it..
Out of curiosity ... where is your other ikey?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Good question.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
my other ikey was at my office downtown pittsburgh...dont ask why i should keep it at home i know i know

Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewsG35s
dont ask why i should keep it at home i know i know
LOL... that sucks.

I have no idea how it happened, but I guess it's a lesson learned. I keep my spare at the house, but that wouldn't help me if it happened at work. Bottom line, dont keep it in the car at all.

About the fob working with the car running...
I was at a wedding this past weekend and I ran out and got the car for princess pickup (for the wife)
I got to the front door of the mansion the wedding was at, and my wife walks out and says, come in and say one more goodbye.

I get out of the car and then realize this goodbye is taking a lot longer than I am comfortable with. I reach my hand into my pocket and click the lock button on my fob, as a sense of false security.

I got back out to the car and I was surprised to find my car was actually locked. I was pretty happy to see that it had worked.

Last edited by AesonVirus; 06-11-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I didn't think this was possible with the ikey.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TwilightBlue
I didn't think this was possible with the ikey.
I would say it is not 100% fool proof. I've started my car with the ikey outside the driver side window before.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 AM
no way my car always beeps if i even put the key 1cm outside the car... im confused because its not like my key was close to the door...it was in the center consule cup holder in the very center of the car so i just dont see how my smart G could get so confused?!?!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Another way this could have happened, is if someone else locked your door manually by lifting the door handle and locking it while closing your door.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: keys locked in my G