V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Coolant change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coolant change?

I have searched in the forum and online, but I havent found a DIY on changing the coolant in a second gen sedan. I did find one for the first gen though. Should I try and follow the first gen DIY? Does anyone know where I can find DIY for the second gen? My local Infiniti dealer wants 150.00, and the local Nissan dealer charges 115.00 for this service. Any advice will be much appreciated!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
It should be the same as 1st gen, i will be doing mine soon, how many miles do u have?

It should be simple really, first take out the coolant reservoir (1 bolt) and rinse then there should be a screw or valve on the bottom of the radiator that you need to unscrew to get the old coolant out. Then you need to find the bleeder screw and open it which should be on the passenger side near the firewall(should be same as 1st gen).

Replace the radiator screw and resivior and fill with Distilled water and run car to get rid of all old coolant, then repeat procedure but this time fill with Nissan coolant and distilled water 50/50 and let teh air out with the bleeder screw.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Found this video, i think it should be same DIY 1st gen

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Im at 60,000 miles, so I am due for a change. That was the same video I saw as well. How much coolant will I need? Would it be okay to use Prestone coolant?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Bleeder valve on the 2nd gen is actually on the driver's side between the engine and master cylinder compartment. Make sure you bleed it properly as these cars are harder than others when it comes to getting all the air out. Make sure you get new rubber o-rings for the bleeder and the drain plug. I would also get a new radiator cap while I'm at it.

The following users liked this post:
kool_yaar (06-13-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Why a new radiator cap?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
it's not necessary, but the rubber seal on the cap deteriorates over time and it would be a good idea to replace it, much like the o-rings.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Will do! Thanks for the info guys!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM
ya Thanks Q8y as usual, good to know that the bleeder has a new location!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
With the coolant change, shoold the hoses and the thermostat be replaced as well? Have nearly 70K.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
^ its a personal choice really in my opinion and is based more upon $$ and preventive maintaince than anything else, if your tubes look fine and you have had no leaks, cracks or buildup then you dont have to but it wont hurt if you do.

I just avoid spending money on my car unless i have to nowadays considering how everything with the economy is going downhill for most

As for thermostat, no need really unless you start experiencing some signs of failure with your temp gauge not staying steady in demanding times. 70k is not that many miles to worry about all this imo, just do a coolant flush and you should be fine.

The following users liked this post:
dohturdima (07-07-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar

... You dont have to but it wont hurt if you do.

... 70k is not that many miles to worry about all this imo, just do a coolant flush and you should be fine.
^^ + 1

Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coolant change instructions

Originally Posted by IEMaestro
I have searched in the forum and online, but I havent found a DIY on changing the coolant in a second gen sedan. I did find one for the first gen though. Should I try and follow the first gen DIY? Does anyone know where I can find DIY for the second gen? My local Infiniti dealer wants 150.00, and the local Nissan dealer charges 115.00 for this service. Any advice will be much appreciated!
Hi,
I am the tech manager at Prestone Coolants. Here are the instructions, let me know if you have further questions

Draining

WARNING:

To avoid being scalded, never change engine coolant when the engine is hot.
Wrap a thick cloth around radiator cap and carefully remove radiator cap. First, turn radiator cap a quarter of a turn to release built-up pressure. Then turn radiator cap all the way.
Open radiator drain plug (2) at the bottom of radiator, and then remove radiator cap.

1: Engine under cover
A: Radiator drain plug hole
<---: Vehicle front
When draining all of engine coolant in the system, open water drain plugs on cylinder block.

Remove reservoir tank as necessary, and drain engine coolant and clean reservoir tank before installing.
Check drained engine coolant for contaminants such as rust, corrosion or discoloration. If contaminated, flush the engine cooling system.
Refilling

Remove air cleaner case (LH).
Install reservoir tank if removed, and radiator drain plug.
CAUTION:
Be sure to clean drain plug and install with new O-ring.
Tightening torque: Refer to CO-14, "Exploded View". See: Radiator\Service and Repair

If water drain plugs on cylinder block are removed, close and tighten them.

Check that each hose clamp has been firmly tightened.

Remove air relief plug (2) on radiator left side. 1: Reservoir tank
3: Engine cover

Remove air relief plug (1) on heater hose. 2: Heater hose

Fill radiator, and reservoir tank if removed, to specified level.
Pour engine coolant through engine coolant filler neck slowly of less than 2 l (2-1/8 US qt, 1-3/4 Imp qt) a minute to allow air in system to escape.
Use Prestone Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant or equivalent mixed with water (distilled or demineralized). Engine coolant capacity: Refer to CO-26, "Periodical Maintenance Specification". See: Specifications\Capacities
(With reservoir tank at "MAX" level)
Reservoir tank engine coolant capacity: Refer to CO-26, (At "MAX" level) "Periodical Maintenance Specification". See: Specifications\Capacities

A: MAX
B: MIN

When engine coolant overflows air relief hole on radiator, install air relief plug with new O-ring. Tightening torque: Refer to CO-14, "Exploded View". See: Radiator\Service and Repair
Repeat step 6.
When engine coolant overflows air relief hole on heater hose, install air relief plug with new O-ring. Then refill radiator with engine coolant. Torque: 1.2 Nm (0.12 kg-m, 11 in-lb)
Install air cleaner case (LH).
Install radiator cap.
Warm up engine until opening thermostat. Standard for warming-up time is approximately 10 minutes at 3,000 rpm.
Check thermostat opening condition by touching radiator hose (lower) to see a flow of warm water.
CAUTION:
Watch water temperature gauge so as not to overheat engine.

Stop the engine and cool down to less than approximately 50°C (122°F).
Cool down using fan to reduce the time.
If necessary, refill radiator up to filler neck with engine coolant.
Refill reservoir tank to "MAX" level line with engine coolant.
Repeat steps 11 through 14 two or more times with radiator cap installed until engine coolant level no longer drops.
Check cooling system for leaks with engine running.
Warm up the engine, and check for sound of engine coolant flow while running engine from idle up to 3,000 rpm with heater temperature controller set at several position between "COOL" and "WARM".
Sound may be noticeable at heater unit.
Repeat step 17 three times.
If sound is heard, bleed air from cooling system by repeating step 6, and steps from 11 to 18 until engine coolant level no longer drops.
Check that the reservoir tank cap is tightened.
Flushing

Install reservoir tank if removed, and radiator drain plug.
CAUTION:
Be sure to clean drain plug and install with new O-ring.
Tightening torque: Refer to CO-14, "Exploded View". See: Radiator\Service and Repair

If water drain plugs on cylinder block are removed, close and tighten them.

Remove air relief plug (1) on heater hose.

2: Heater hose

Remove air relief plug (2) on radiator. 1: Reservoir tank
3: Engine cover

Fill radiator with water until water spills from the air relief holes, then close air relief plugs. Fill radiator and reservoir tank with water and reinstall radiator cap. Tightening torque: Refer to CO-14, "Exploded View". See: Radiator\Service and Repair
Run the engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
Rev the engine two or three times under no-load.
Stop the engine and wait until it cools down.
Drain water from the system.
Repeat steps 1 through 8 until clear water begins to drain from radiator.
Check that the reservoir tank cap is tightened.

For some reason the pictures that go with this will not post, email me at jay.buckley@honeywell.com if you need them

Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Wow! Awesome info motorking! Thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Would you happen to have any pictures to go with this DIY?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coolant change?