V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Shouldn't there be a wire to this terminal? 2007 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shouldn't there be a wire to this terminal? 2007 G35x

Sorry for the orientation. I was looking under the hood and noticed this bolt which looks to have a terminal attached without a wire. It is located on the shield nearest the upstream o2 sensor on the passenger side, looking near the back of the engine bay and roughly below the throttle body. Any idea if there should, in fact, be a wire attached to something from here?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:09 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Donks

Sorry for the orientation. I was looking under the hood and noticed this bolt which looks to have a terminal attached without a wire. It is located on the shield nearest the upstream o2 sensor on the passenger side, looking near the back of the engine bay and roughly below the throttle body. Any idea if there should, in fact, be a wire attached to something from here?

Yes, there is supposed to be a ground strap (braided wire) running from there over to the side of the shock tower. It's about 12" long or so, and it has a female tab connector on the shock tower end for quick disconnect when servicing. Try looking directly across, slightly forward, and slightly upward in the gap there between the header shroud and the shock tower to see if the strap is stall attached on the other end.

Last edited by vqsmile; 05-15-2016 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
El_Donks (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Sure enough, the rest of the cable is dangling there. Took a look to see if I could resolder it... nope. It's melted.

I tried finding a part number for this thing but no avail yet. Still waiting on a call back from the dealership parts department, no idea if that will lead anywhere. Does anyone know what the specific name of this cable is or perhaps a part number?

Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Donks
Sure enough, the rest of the cable is dangling there. Took a look to see if I could resolder it... nope. It's melted.

I tried finding a part number for this thing but no avail yet. Still waiting on a call back from the dealership parts department, no idea if that will lead anywhere. Does anyone know what the specific name of this cable is or perhaps a part number?
I gave a quick look at some parts listings, and the service manual, to see if it was mentioned anywhere, but nothing came up. It is just a basic grounding strap though. I would look to see if you could just get another "ring (or eye) terminal" for the end and crimp it onto the remainder of the strap that was dangling (assuming there is enough slack to reach the location where it bolts to the exhaust shroud). Most any auto parts store will carry one that should fit. Then, just unbolt the broken ring and attach the new one. /done

Old 05-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Fair enough. I was thinking about re-using the existing cable with a new end but am unsure of how much slack exists there. If a part number turns up somewhere though, I'd probably just hop on that.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Also, would you happen to know what this serves as a ground for?