V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Why no LED rear turn signals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2007 | 08:48 AM
LED bulbs will have a different resistance than standard filament bulbs. You may find yourself having a problem with the speed of the flash.

The flasher module is a relay, which relies on the resistance of the bulbs to regulate the flow of current through the electromagnet.

Old 09-27-2007 | 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Tiger
LED bulbs will have a different resistance than standard filament bulbs. You may find yourself having a problem with the speed of the flash.

The flasher module is a relay, which relies on the resistance of the bulbs to regulate the flow of current through the electromagnet.
Hmm, i didn't know that. Does this mean there's a chance the light will flash too quickly, sort of like when one of your turn signal bulbs goes out and the others flash quickly to alert you that one is blown?

Old 09-27-2007 | 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by cnugs127
I just ordered LED replacement bulbs today and i'll install them when they get in. I wasn't sure what would look better, red LEDs or white LEDs, so I ordered both to try them out.
holy crap, i just received the LED bulbs - that was fast!
No just gotta figure out how to get access to the bulbs. Anyone know?

Old 09-27-2007 | 03:07 PM
Back in SD**
Premier Member
Hmm, i didn't know that. Does this mean there's a chance the light will flash too quickly, sort of like when one of your turn signal bulbs goes out and the others flash quickly to alert you that one is blown?
It depends on whether the LED's were designed to work in the turn signal or not. Most LED bulbs are general purpose and will not be designed to work with flashers. If that is the case, then you would have to get a load resistor. You'll know when you try to use them.
If your 07's access is like the 03-06, then you'll have to pull off the carpet like panel behind the light assembly.

Old 09-27-2007 | 03:08 PM
Seems like a dumb thing to leave out, I agree. LED blinkers would fit well on this car

Old 09-27-2007 | 03:30 PM
holy crap, i just received the LED bulbs - that was fast!
No just gotta figure out how to get access to the bulbs. Anyone know?
Where did you get the LEDs from? I found a site selling some with the standard bulb bases
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR

Ive always wanted to change the rear turn signals to LED in my 05 since i got it. I think LED turn signals are pretty SICK looking especially when the tails are already LED.

Cant wait to see the pictures and hear if it worked out.

Old 09-27-2007 | 04:35 PM
This is where I got the lights from:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/7443.htm

It's actually the 7440 that the car takes.
I just installed them - extremely easy, took 1-2 minutes each side and no removal of anything.
I put the whites in on the left side and reds on the right side and turned on the hazards. They look awesome - the red looks better because the whites are actually a tiny but blueish pruple like all white LEDs look so when that light goes through the red lens a slightly discolors the light. The reds give a nice deep red output that IMO matches the brake lights better.
I'll post pictures later tonight when I get
home and the conditions are better.

Edit:
Although the hazard lights work fine, the turn signal flashes quickly when signaling left or right. I'm going to see how much that bothers me - if anything i can just change it back to stock.

Last edited by cnugs127; 09-27-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2007 | 06:53 PM
So the hazards flash normally but when you signal left or right it flashes faster? Thats odd.

Old 09-27-2007 | 07:07 PM
by psedog:
It depends on whether the LED's were designed to work in the turn signal or not. Most LED bulbs are general purpose and will not be designed to work with flashers. If that is the case, then you would have to get a load resistor.

I kinda expected this to happen.. blinking too fast

Old 09-27-2007 | 07:46 PM
yeah the car senses the low power consumption of the LED bulb and thinks its burnt out, and increases the flashing rate to alert you that your bulb is 'burned out'. A load resistor or a flasher that is LED compatiable will fix that.

Old 09-28-2007 | 01:45 AM
That makes sense. How hard is it to install a load resistor and where would I find one?

Old 09-28-2007 | 02:10 AM
Here's video of the different light combinations.
I'm new to photobucket, so i only have the links copied to this thread and not the actual video itself. Can someone give me advise on how to do that for next time?

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ght-RedLED.flv

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...LED-RedLED.flv

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...LED-RedLED.flv

Old 09-28-2007 | 09:34 AM
that first video is why LEDs are better, look how much faster it illuminates than the standard bulb. And the white LED is too dim IMO, and as said earlier white LEDs put out a slight blueish tint, they arent totally white, so i think it would be best to stick with red.

Load resistors and LED flashers can be bought on that same site where you bought the LEDs, or ebay. I think the LED flasher would be the way to go but idk if it will work our cars and if it would be compatiable with the standard bulbs in the front of the car (if left standard)..

Old 09-29-2007 | 12:23 AM
Back in SD**
Premier Member
Here's video of the different light combinations.
Looks like you don't need a load resistor. They look just right. Where did you get your bulbs? Also, I agree the red LED's look much better.

Old 09-29-2007 | 12:29 AM
Back in SD**
Premier Member
Can someone give me advise on how to do that for next time?
You can't in this thread. Look at the bottom of the page and you will see
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
When HTML code is Off you can't embed videos into the thread.

If you ever want to in a thread that has HTML code On, just grab the HTML tag information and paste it into the message.

The code will look like this
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i226.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid226.photobucket.com/albums/dd149/cnugs127/RegLight-RedLED.flv"></embed>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why no LED rear turn signals?