V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

double layer of tint??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
why so dark? and dont the cops trip on you guys?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
ckp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not so dark? i hate when ppl can see inside. also with double layer in tint when sunlight hits the car, less light will enter the car with the double tint.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ckp
why not so dark? i hate when ppl can see inside. also with double layer in tint when sunlight hits the car, less light will enter the car with the double tint.
well yeah but i mean can you guys get away with it being so dark? i mean here in nebraska cops dont say anything but i know in cali they trip *****

Old 09-06-2008, 05:15 PM
my buddy's got double 5 and it's fine...not my taste but he's been driving okay for 6 months now

Old 09-06-2008, 07:04 PM
ckp
^ya mine wont be quite a double 5 ...but a double with 15 and 5...maybe at that point you can't tell the difference i dont know. but ya im pumped to get it done.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
ckp
i just called one tint place and he said if i did metalized on the side windows it wont effect the navigation signal or anything like that...is that true guys? he doesnt carry 5% in non-metalized film.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
this has been a debate on this forums for quite some time...i'm an undergrad EE and I'm trying to think exactly how metalized tint can affect radio signals...personally, i don't think it can...if you believe it does, EXPLAIN to me how

I think most people believe metalized tint can ruin your navi signal or any radio signal for that matter because people associate metal with conductors, but even then where does everyone get this notion that just because tint is metalized that it somehow creates a burmuda triangle and signals go missing?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
ckp
do u have metalized tint or non metalized?^

Old 09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet, the tint guy i started going to recommended doubling up on my 35% but i was unsure of the process.

i will let him throw another layer of 35% on the car and add the 50% with 5% strip on the front windshield.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
this has been a debate on this forums for quite some time...i'm an undergrad EE and I'm trying to think exactly how metalized tint can affect radio signals...personally, i don't think it can...if you believe it does, EXPLAIN to me how

I think most people believe metalized tint can ruin your navi signal or any radio signal for that matter because people associate metal with conductors, but even then where does everyone get this notion that just because tint is metalized that it somehow creates a burmuda triangle and signals go missing?
I believe it's because of the theory that it will turn the interior of your car into a rolling Faraday cage.

Linky for knowledge

Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Ive done something very similiar and i regreted it. 20% on 20%. So from my experience here's what I have to say...
There are 3 things to consider. 1st, as already mentioned, is it going to be a problem with the Cops? Trust me as I know all too well. Getting pulled over and receiving $200+ tinted window ticket is not fun. 2nd, thats way too dark. In the day its fine, but at night you just cant see out when youre turning. So if you live in an area where its cold or if its raining outside then you screwed into having to open the window to see. 3rd, double layer tint is often too thick and causes the window to roll up/down slowly.
If you really want it dark just take it off and have 5% limo tint put on.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by popsnicker
I believe it's because of the theory that it will turn the interior of your car into a rolling Faraday cage.

Linky for knowledge
that still makes no sense...from that link you posted, you do understand that their saying the faraday cage was invented so no electric fields are able to penetrate the "cage"...also from that explanation, the faraday cage or "window tint faraday cage" actually protects your equipment by keeping out unwanted electrical charges...you're talking about electric fields whereas i thought most people had trouble getting AM radio signals and some felt that the navi worked slower

Also, if there were external electromagnetic fields trying to send unwanted current through your car it would automatically be dissipated because a car is ALWAYS grounded through its tires! Like I said before, window tint shops use this BS theory to make you spend 400 bucks on ceramic tint when in reality it doesn't do anything! do you honestly believe a window tint installer is some sort of electrical professional? i don't think so

some of you just need to start believing there are questions out there people do not know the answer to but reply with an answer regardless just from others' foundings...how many times as a kid did you hear your mom tell you to not look in the microwave while it's cooking...do you really think engineers are going to overlook a freakin' window on a microwave and let microwaves come straight through to make you go blind or turn your hair purple? of course not...same principle applies for our windows

Last edited by ugaexploder; 09-10-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
First off - I am new to the forums and as such I really don't want to get into an argument - but I do believe the Faraday cage theory is the correct answer to the question you originally posed. "I'm trying to think exactly how metalized tint can affect radio signals...personally, i don't think it can...if you believe it does, EXPLAIN to me how"

From the wiki:
"To a large degree, Faraday cages also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength" (note 'radiation's wavelength' this includes radio signals)

The combination of the metal structure of the car with the addition of fine metal particles in the tint create - in essence - a Faraday cage. Only the windshield would be open (unless that is tinted too) to receive signals from (again if the cage theory holds). Because of this directional signals - say from a cell phone, radio antenna or a satellite may have trouble passing through if the car is pointed in the opposite direction.

The rubber in your tires is an insulator, not a conductor, this is why you can step out of the car touch it and sometimes receive a shock. You can't ground something to an insulator.

A microwave is an example of a Faraday cage in use. The engineers put it there to block the microwaves coming out.

I believe I know the answer and that is why I posted my original response.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i had double limo on may car back in F&F days. 2xs 5% on all but windshield. i got pulled over for 20% 15% 5% so then said F it got 2xs 5% and i didnt get a ticket until i sold it. now on my G i have only 35%. ha.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by popsnicker
First off - I am new to the forums and as such I really don't want to get into an argument - but I do believe the Faraday cage theory is the correct answer to the question you originally posed. "I'm trying to think exactly how metalized tint can affect radio signals...personally, i don't think it can...if you believe it does, EXPLAIN to me how"

From the wiki:
"To a large degree, Faraday cages also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength" (note 'radiation's wavelength' this includes radio signals)

The combination of the metal structure of the car with the addition of fine metal particles in the tint create - in essence - a Faraday cage. Only the windshield would be open (unless that is tinted too) to receive signals from (again if the cage theory holds). Because of this directional signals - say from a cell phone, radio antenna or a satellite may have trouble passing through if the car is pointed in the opposite direction.

The rubber in your tires is an insulator, not a conductor, this is why you can step out of the car touch it and sometimes receive a shock. You can't ground something to an insulator.

A microwave is an example of a Faraday cage in use. The engineers put it there to block the microwaves coming out.

I believe I know the answer and that is why I posted my original response.
I never said the tires were conductors lol, i said the car is always grounded via tires...so in essence if the windshield is open then it can't be fully enclosed...that defeats the whole purpose of the word cage doesn't it if something can escape via the ground (tires touching the ground) or throughout the windshield from your theory

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: double layer of tint??