V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Is my ballast going bad?>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Is my ballast going bad?>

I recently got some 6k hid lights off a member here, and am having a weird issue. When I turn on my light when cold, one of my headlights doesn't come on. If I flick them off then on again real quick, it comes on, but you can see it starting dim for second before it gets to full brightness. I did not noticed this with my stock bulbs. I thought I had a bad one, got a new set, similar issue though. But if I put my stock bulb in it doesn't act up. Are these cheaper 6k d2s bulbs all just crap or maybe my ballast is going bad?

Also another question, when you pop off the connector on the passenger side headlight, what is the proper position for it to be in? it seems like you can 'lock' it on in (put on and twist) in a couple different positions (maybe that has some bearing on my issue?)

Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem. How do we test and troubleshoot this issue?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
If the stock bulbs don't do it, it isn't the ballast.

Your only option is to swap L to R bulbs with the new set. If the problem switches sides, it's the bulb. If it doesn't, and the stock bulbs also have the same problem, then it could be the ballast (not in the OPs case).

Old 12-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
I recently got some 6k hid lights off a member here, and am having a weird issue. When I turn on my light when cold, one of my headlights doesn't come on. If I flick them off then on again real quick, it comes on, but you can see it starting dim for second before it gets to full brightness. I did not noticed this with my stock bulbs. I thought I had a bad one, got a new set, similar issue though. But if I put my stock bulb in it doesn't act up. Are these cheaper 6k d2s bulbs all just crap or maybe my ballast is going bad?
I'm guessing it's a cheap bulb. If you want quality parts, stick with OEM manufacturers or better known brands such as Phillips, Hella, PIAA, Denso, Matsush*ta, etc...

Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
Also another question, when you pop off the connector on the passenger side headlight, what is the proper position for it to be in? it seems like you can 'lock' it on in (put on and twist) in a couple different positions (maybe that has some bearing on my issue?)

Are you asking about the cap on the headlight or the way the igniter latches in? Either way, the left side should work exactly like the right side, and isn't mirrored.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I finally took it in for various warranty issues(mine expires in feb), they replaced my whole headlight assembly (under warranty). They said they were not able to get ballasts or ignitors separately. So they had to get a whole new headlight unit - sounds like an expensive fix. I gave them 2 sets of bulbs that did it, only on the passenger side and gave them to the dealer to try(never happened on driver side, with either sets of bulbs), so I guess they were able to re-create it. The oem didn't do it or as much anyways, but I'm guessing a borderline ignitor/ballast would cause it, and the better quality oem bulb didn't do it as much.

Seems silly to replace a whole headlight for it, but hey I'm not complaining, I'll take a new headlight

Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM
correction I picked up my car, I think I just had more than 1 crappy bulbs. After the replaced the headlight my 6k generic one was going on and off, and they took it out and put the oem one - I still got to keep my new headlight, as they said the ignitor was malfunctioning.