V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

3M Defender Spray Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
3M Defender Spray Review

So I've seen this around for a while and decided to give it a try. I have one area on my driver's side fender where the clear coat has peeled off so it seemed like a no-brainer to use this to protect it from getting worse. I know i'm not the only one with clearcoat issues so maybe this will be helpful to some of you out there. I also figured if it was good enough i'd just coat my bumper with it since I just had the bumper replaced and painted. I broke down and got the full kit on amazon for about $20 on sale with the digital coupon:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-90100-Paint-Defender-System/dp/B00CCOBOI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403106775&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+paint+defender http://www.amazon.com/3M-90100-Paint-Defender-System/dp/B00CCOBOI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403106775&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+paint+defender

Pictures are hard to take because they don't quite give the full effect of what the film looks like on a silver car. I'll post some later if I can get a good one though.

First things first, you have to tape the area off properly to prevent overspray. I cleaned the area well and applied the supplied wax and then I applied the coating on a warm, windless day last weekend. I suspect I didn't do it thick enough, which will affect removing it later. The coating looks milky when applied but then self levels and dries slightly opaque/matte. It has a slight orange peel texture to it and feels rubbery to the touch before you wax it. It takes a few hours to cure and then you can wax/wash it but there are some warnings to only use touch-free car washes (I will challenge that warning this weekend when I have more time on my hands).

The bottom line right now is that it's easy to apply, definitely feels tough and should easily protect my paint. The only con I see is that it renders your paint with a matte finish, not shiny. Not that this is a true problem but I really really really really REALLY like seeing my car shiny and waxed and this almost makes it look dull. I tried waxing the film a little but didn't get a whole lot of improvement. For this reason i've held off doing my entire bumper and just did the area on my fender as a test.

I'll supply an update after the weekend when I wash the car.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Clear plastidip wont help lack of clear coat.

If your clear coat is peeling, the one and only fix is to take it and have it professional repainted.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Well yeah obviously, but as I stated in my original post this is just to protect it from getting worse not to "fix" it. I have noted it does get a little worse each time I go to the car wash and through the winter it did no doubt due to the salt. I'm not interested in paying a couple grand out of pocket to fix all the clear coat that's peeling on the car right now.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
I dont believe in band-aid fixes. Fix it right.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Ok, good for you. Sounds like this isn't the thread to pique your interest then.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
So I've seen this around for a while and decided to give it a try. I have one area on my driver's side fender where the clear coat has peeled off so it seemed like a no-brainer to use this to protect it from getting worse. I know i'm not the only one with clearcoat issues so maybe this will be helpful to some of you out there. I also figured if it was good enough i'd just coat my bumper with it since I just had the bumper replaced and painted. I broke down and got the full kit on amazon for about $20 on sale with the digital coupon:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-90100-Paint...paint+defender

Pictures are hard to take because they don't quite give the full effect of what the film looks like on a silver car. I'll post some later if I can get a good one though.

First things first, you have to tape the area off properly to prevent overspray. I cleaned the area well and applied the supplied wax and then I applied the coating on a warm, windless day last weekend. I suspect I didn't do it thick enough, which will affect removing it later. The coating looks milky when applied but then self levels and dries slightly opaque/matte. It has a slight orange peel texture to it and feels rubbery to the touch before you wax it. It takes a few hours to cure and then you can wax/wash it but there are some warnings to only use touch-free car washes (I will challenge that warning this weekend when I have more time on my hands).

The bottom line right now is that it's easy to apply, definitely feels tough and should easily protect my paint. The only con I see is that it renders your paint with a matte finish, not shiny. Not that this is a true problem but I really really really really REALLY like seeing my car shiny and waxed and this almost makes it look dull. I tried waxing the film a little but didn't get a whole lot of improvement. For this reason i've held off doing my entire bumper and just did the area on my fender as a test.

I'll supply an update after the weekend when I wash the car.
did you ever end up getting a good enough picture to post up here?? I've been waiting for someone to be the gunny pig for me for once

Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it actually and if you wanna take it off use soapy water and let it sit

Old 11-16-2015, 10:49 AM
I totally forgot to come back and update this. I did get a photo at the time i'd have to figure out what I did with it now. I've left that spray on since I posted this. It held up really well and saved the paint from getting worse. My plan is to do some PDR to get the dings out of the body and repaint the car next spring so i'll just leave it in place through the winter. It has definitely begun to get grimey though. You can tell there's dirt in there that doesn't want to come out. When you apply it right it really does peel off like a sheet but that means you have to prime the surface properly with the supplied wax.