A warning about Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A warning about Discount Tire

I'm not exactly sure where this goes... but this post is about my (not so) wonderful experience with Discount Tire:

I have used Discount Tire in the past and they have done decent work. I called to inquire about having 2 tires dismounted, new ones mounted, and balanced. I was quoted 14/tire. Once there, I was charged 25/tire. I brought this up with the manager and was simply told that whoever told me that is wrong. NTB right down the street is cheaper than 25/tire. On top of that, they gouged the barrels of my Rays Gram Lights. Not just once... but once where every single wheel weight was... on both wheels. Now you'd think that if you saw that what you're doing is scratching the wheel... you'd stop doing that... not do it a dozen more times. The wheels were not cleaned before new weights applied, and old adhesive was left on the barrels. The tech also backed out by revving to 3k+ rpm and slipping the clutch.

I brought the damage to attention and was told that they would contact their refinisher and call me back the next day... no call, so I called them. They said they'd call me back the next day... again no call... so I call them. This goes on quite a few times. They finally agree to schedule the mobile refinisher to come out Monday and they'll give me a call to let me know when he is there. Monday comes, mid afternoon they call me to let me know he is no longer coming, I should just leave the wheels with them. Now... what if I don't have extra wheels? They mount two of my extra wheels (thus my ridiculous 18x9 matte bronze front wheels and 19x8 silver rear wheels). Told me they'd be done by Thursday. I get a call tonight telling me that the mobile refinisher would not be able to match the Ray's matte bronze. They say they are sending the wheels to Wheels America (against my wishes) and that it will add several more days. I ask them what process is used to repair the wheels, I do not want the wheels powdercoated as many overzealous noobs often cook at too high of a temperature which can affect the grain structure of the material. They tell me they don't know.

I just spoke to Sergey of Sergey's House of Wheels, one of the best refinishers in the Chicagoland area. He says there is absolutely no chance that Wheels America will match the finish since he can't even do it and that there is a high chance that they will make it worse.

It has been two weeks. Discount Tire meanwhile has done nothing to compensate me for my time, inconvenience, etc other than a insincere apology and lack of urgency. I have been polite and patient thus far, but am rapidly running out of patience.

TL;DR Discount Tire ruined two of my wheels and has terrible communication and customer service. Do not use them. Also do not use Wheels America to repair or refinish wheels.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know, I am looking for new tires and they are the cheapest spot in my area. I might just spend the extra $15/tire after reading this.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 218 Likes on 187 Posts
Sorry this has happened, but you can not fault all Discount tires...Ive been a customer of their's for over 10 years..This is an isolated incident with this particular location..Im pretty **** about my wheels, and have found it very helpful to deal with the managers only and build a rapport..it goes a long way..P.S I always tell them I need their best guy to handle my expensive wheels and we inspect them together so if a blemish all of a sudden appears,we know who did it..Good Luck O.P

The following 3 users liked this post by ItsA..Gthing:
Blue Dream (08-31-2013), Jaygotboost (08-30-2013), SDGenius (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have only used Discount Tire for both of my cars for the past 3 years and have nothing but good things to say about them. They generally will price match anything you bring to them and the 2 locations near my house here in SD are full of very helpful/knowledgeable employees.

For instance, my wife can call me at work and say that she has a bolt lodged in her tire and I can pick up the phone and call them and they will fit here in and have her out within 15 mins - no charge (this has happened twice).

Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I too have been using my local Discount Tire for at least 10 maybe 15 years. Never a problem, great service, pleasant eyes wide open energetic staff with personality, beaten Costco on OTD pricing every time with better free after-sale services. And if you buy a set of tires there, the free rotation/balancing applies to any car you own, even if you didn't buy the tires there (such as, in my case, buying my 06 G in March w/ new tires, they'll rotate and balance 'em for nothing). Couldn't be more happy with a service establishment.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Never mount expensive wheels at a place with discount in its name.

The following users liked this post:
Frankieg35 (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
I'd mount my spare tires there, that's about it.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I never had trouble with them.

Here in Victoria Texas, there are THREE stores within a mile of each other and they are PACKED all day.