Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Stern Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the widths of your rims Polish?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by synaptik_1
What are the widths of your rims Polish?
20x8.5 & 20x9.5

Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks -- they look great man! I was thinking about going with a setup similar to yours, but I want to do some mild suspension work -- do you see any problems with going with the Eibach Pro-kit for example with about a 1" drop?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by synaptik_1
Thanks -- they look great man! I was thinking about going with a setup similar to yours, but I want to do some mild suspension work -- do you see any problems with going with the Eibach Pro-kit for example with about a 1" drop?
I think a lot of people here went with same setup and an inch drop, some say that they rub others say its fine. I think Falken tires help because they are more rounded than Toyos or Nittos. With a drop you might be safer with 245/35 & 275/30.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the sterns ST-1 Face III Beast in hyperblack on a DG coupe. I am running 245/275 35 BF goodrich G force kdw nt, 20/25 offsets and when they were swapping them tires and rims out at the shop, I got the chance to pick both up and hold them and felt they weigh pretty close to the OEM 19's. Yes the wheel is bigger, and is more mass, but the tires chosen are 3 lbs lighter than the OEM tire. so far preformance seems simular, with the exception of handling where it is soooooo much better, and smoother.

OH and BTW, inside the rim is stamped ADR and China, so it appears that they are made by ADR wheels. enjoy and hope your selection is what you want.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by g-adabout
I have the sterns ST-1 Face III Beast in hyperblack on a DG coupe. I am running 245/275 35 BF goodrich G force kdw nt, 20/25 offsets and when they were swapping them tires and rims out at the shop, I got the chance to pick both up and hold them and felt they weigh pretty close to the OEM 19's. Yes the wheel is bigger, and is more mass, but the tires chosen are 3 lbs lighter than the OEM tire. so far preformance seems simular, with the exception of handling where it is soooooo much better, and smoother.

OH and BTW, inside the rim is stamped ADR and China, so it appears that they are made by ADR wheels. enjoy and hope your selection is what you want.

thank you for the info... i have had them put on and i did notice a good bit of torque loss, but the performance still seems similar... the handling is much better..and i'm very happy with my choice... only problem is they've already been ruined by a tire shop here in ATL... you can read all about it here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-tires/105836-butler-tire-co-atl-georgia-ruined-my-new-sterns.html

Old 07-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Sux about the damage... but we still want pics of your ride!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Noticed the thread had to post pics (20" chrome).

Attached Thumbnails Stern Wheels-photo_032606_002.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
For the price they are asking for them? Junk. They aren't that bad, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near a thousand for a set with tires.

Stern Wheels are ADRs with a slightly nicer fit and finish... I wouldn't put them on my G because they just aren't worthy, but they were definately good enough to be my footrest for a while when... nm... let's just say that I know the company well.

I do like the hyper black finish though! Although it looks very nice from the front, I really feel that the spray pattern sucked very bad... especially the way the paint splatters on the back of the wheel. And I never liked the way the lips on all of these wheels are so soft. Stern is a slight improvement over ADR (maybe not anymore tho), but either way, the lip is still too soft...

Originally Posted by g-adabout
Why would you think they are made by ADR? Would it be because they are all from Golden Apple?
d'oh, you said it's stamped as ADR...

But yea, they are made in the same friggin factory too, at that... although it did used to be different - ADRs were originally made in Taiwan while Sterns were produced in Japan. But that was a loooong time ago

Last edited by dofu; 07-12-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Well, lets just say that if you knew the cost (cost, not wholesale or jobber) for some of the items people are paying big money for, you'd see things in my perspective too... and with that said, how much are you guys paying for those wheels?

Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by CrazyGreek
well listen...that goes without saying. Everyone in the history of the world that has EVER owned a business is in it for ONE thing: $$$ And i dont blame them. The reason why products cost so much is because a lot goes behind them. Forget what the "cost" or "material cost" is. These people put a lot on the line to bring a product out.
Well, we're not talking about business... and like I said - imo, for the prices they want, these wheels just aren't worth it. Granted, Sterns do look good though.

But when we're talking about car parts, I prefer to look at quality and R&D over anything else. And since it doesn't take too much R&D to make wheels (as opposed to strut bars, suspension, etc...), quality becomes the biggest factor here.

But hey, whatever floats your boat...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stern Wheels