Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

I can order any aftermarket rim that is =/less than OEM price!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how's the insurance going to do this? You just give them a quote on the 4 wheels and tires and they pay for them? Do they just cut you a check and you go buy them yourself? Man. If that's the case, then maybe I should see if my insurance will do this too. I can just bend my wheels, claim on insurance and pay a $500 deductible for some $3500 wheels. I'm sure they would pay for the tires too and that's and additional $1200 on top of that.

Or would that be considered insurance fraud? (speaking about my hypothetical situation). It's not fraud for the original poster since it was a legitimate accident and the insurance said ok.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Man that is one sweet deal. I wish I could have gotten rims out of my insurance claims.

I've been in two accidents (both not my fault), and I got some serious discounts on my KurumaZ bumper and an SP grille (don't have the grille anymore).

The way it worked for me (I have Geico), is that the body shop will get a quote from the insurance company (which in turn has information from the Infiniti dealership) on any parts that were damaged in the accident. Within reason, any parts that I used that were not OEM and cheaper, the body shop would REDUCE my deductible. Any parts that I used that were not OEM and more expensive, I would just pay the difference. The Infiniti stock grille goes for ~$190 - I just paid $50 more and got the SP grille. No complaints from the body shop or the insurance company. It doesn't matter to them.

Engine parts and maybe suspension parts are another story - they'd probably want you to go OEM with those.

I essentially paid about $200 for a KurumaZ bumper, and all the prep/paint/fitting/mesh installation was free for me because it was all included as part of the initial estimate. The body shop was already getting paid $$$ for labor on the whole repairs ($13K+ to my rear end), so I talked them into throwing it in.

I even almost got a Kenstyle rear bumper out of the accident, but the order had been already sent through for the OEM rear bumper a day earlier.

It's probably the only positive thing about going through an accident.

If you had Geico, basically the insurance company could care less about what you do with the money. Since you have a legitimate claim for 4 bent rims, they'll give you a check for the full amount of the OEM rims (~$3300) minus your deductible. You can do whatever the hell you want with it. You could get some cheap *** rims and pocket the rest of the money. Or you could get some DPE/iForged/HRE/Volk/Bling Bling at a HUGELY discounted price (practically free actually).

I would go the second route. I'm jealous.

Time to find a shady body shop who will bend my rims. jk

Old 07-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by badtziscool
So how's the insurance going to do this? You just give them a quote on the 4 wheels and tires and they pay for them? Do they just cut you a check and you go buy them yourself? Man. If that's the case, then maybe I should see if my insurance will do this too. I can just bend my wheels, claim on insurance and pay a $500 deductible for some $3500 wheels. I'm sure they would pay for the tires too and that's and additional $1200 on top of that.

Or would that be considered insurance fraud? (speaking about my hypothetical situation). It's not fraud for the original poster since it was a legitimate accident and the insurance said ok.
Most likely, they'll send a claims adjustor out, both to ask you questions and inspect the car. They'll take pictures. They'll talk to the body shop that screwed up the rims. Then they'll file a claim and process it. If they suspect any foul play, they'll send an investigator first.

My car was keyed in the Summer of '04 (right after I bought it), and it came out to $2300 for a repaint. I had just signed on Geico, and they thought I was trying to do a double claim scam (claim with one company, jump companies, and claim again before repairing, apparently a common scam). Of course, I was innocent, and it was a big waste of time. They sent me a check for $1800 ($2300 - $500 deductible) within a week. Too bad the damn body shop took 6 weeks to repaint my car.

I have acquaintances (not friends) who have done some messed up things to insurance companies - I have a delivery boy in my Los Feliz area who admitted to blowing his M3 engine on purpose to get a new car - he claimed his friends do it as well. They get away with a lot. But it's really blatantly breaking the law. Insurance fraud is a pretty serious crime. And if you do this, you're making it worse for everyone else that buys insurance - the rates will just be higher for everyone in the long run (not that I like insurance companies in general).

But for this situation, they'll look up pricing for OEM rims and pay you the equivalent price, minus your deductible, AFTER everything has been confirmed.

Last edited by jimgpark; 07-25-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
THE BATMOBILE
wow you really lucked out..........look into DPE, Volk, RH Evolution, and Racing Hart

Old 08-05-2006, 10:42 AM
UPDATE: After battling it out with the insurance, they only find the need to replace the front two rims/tires. So total, they ended up cutting a check for 2950, which includes, the labor to balance, allignment, oem rims/tires. Crazy it would cost that much, huh?

Anyways, I am planning to use most of that for new rims, I want high quality rims for that price, and I don't really feel like paying out of pocket, bc I would have been happy with my oem 19's.

I like the Volks and RH, but can I get them anywhere with tires brand new for less than 3k? Please advise.

If I can't find any good quality rims (preferrably forged) for that price, I might just buy 2 oem front rims on ebay and put the rest of the $ in mutual funds or savings acct.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:21 PM
The OEM 19" come in 8.5" width which too narrow to run 275/35/19 or something similar in that size range in the rear. So your options would be to run your tires with new rims in 8"-9" widths or to get new tires, so you could run either 245 or 255/35/19 in the fronts and 275, 285/35/19 or 275/30/19 in the rear. Front wheels widths would range depending on the tire from 8"-9.5" and the rears 9"-10.5".

Check out www.wheelsdirectonline.com they have good pricing and free shipping. It's hard to make suggestion on wheels because it's whatever floats your boat. Volks, Work and DPE makes great wheels, I like to be different, although they are very popular for the G. I'm still trying to find that wheel that floats my boat.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:31 PM
After many hrs of searching, I think I have grown huge interest in the Volk LE37T in gunmetal. But I can't seem to find it for under 3k with tires! AND I want the wheel gap to be the same as stock, I dont want a higher looking car when I put these rims on, and I don't plan on lowering the car.

I tired looking for pics but couldnt find anyone who has stock suspension with these rims on, anyone have pics they can direct me to?

Old 08-06-2006, 01:05 AM
If you go to www.wheelsdirectonline.com and in the upper right hand corner there's a link that says "G35/350Z", click on that link and it will take you to all the wheels available for the G and the specials they're running on Racing Hart and the Volks GT7 for $2669 with tires shipped.

The Volks GT7 are sort of similiar to the LE37T. At least it's in your price range. They list diamond black and mercury silver but I would call and see if gunmetal is included in the price.

Regards,
Mark

Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks for that link. How are those Fusion tires, any good? I am also interested in the Racing Hart J8 Pros, are those forged rims? I assume forged is the highest quality and will withstand bending longer than cast? If anyone has pics of both of these rims on stock suspension, pls post.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Fuzion ZRi tires got pretty good reviews from one of the tuner magazines for all around dry and wet handling. The rating are UTOG Traction:A Temperature:A Treadwear:320 Speed Rating:V, W. I personally don't have any experience with them, maybe someone else could chime in with more info.

Sorry, I couldn't be more of a help.
Mark