Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

tire review - 19" bridgestone re050a and bfg kdw2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire review - 19" bridgestone re050a and bfg kdw2

After driving on the BFGs for quite a while (~half a yr or 5k mi), I'll hafta say there's a very noticeable difference between the tires. I just want to share my experiences with you guys.

The BFG KDW2s definitely do not grip like the stock RE050A. VDC goes off a lot more often, and they do not feel as confident in the turns. With a higher treadwear rating, I would expect a harder compound, so that may contribute. I wouldn't say it's got terrible grip, but it's just not as good. It's cheaper, too, so there's an option. But, I do think these tires are limiting the enjoyment I get out of the car. BTW, these tires in the back with the original RE050A still in the front.

The RE050As that came with the car were pretty sticky. They were very good in the turns and I rarely had an issue with VDC kicking in. My only gripe (and it's a major one) is the noise it generates after wearing down to about 50%. It sounds like a spaceship whenever I drive between 10-40mph (btw, alignment has been done and things are in check). My Infiniti master tech explained to me that the tires were not designed to wear evenly - the tread blocks wear at an angle. Whether or not that's true, I'm going to be trying different tires b/c I know the RE050As will be doing this again - I don't want to switch tires every 7.5k mi, b/c these things only lasted me 15k. I really don't mind a tire that lasts only 15k - as long as I can get 90% the 15k at a reasonably consistent level of performance.

I'll be changing my fronts soon (can't wait to get rid of that noise). Trying toyo t1r this time, according to a recommendation from my shop.

Hope this helps - we don't have that many choices with the 19" tire size...

Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 AM
good review, thanks!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
The only reason your VDC is going off more often is because you have the BFG's in the rear and the RE050a's in the front. If you match the BFG's up front then there is only one other tire that can outhandle the BFG... The michelin PS2 but those will put a big dent in your wallet.

Also, you can not compare treadwear rating's between different brands of tires. Every tire company has its own rating system to compare tires within their brand.

I had the stock michelin's on the front and the Bridgestone RE750 on the rear of my car and my VDC would go off just getting on the freeway on-ramp going 60. Once i put the RE750's up front and the S03's in the rear, i can take the same on ramp at 90 with out the VDC going off.

So conclusion... dont change only 2 tires if you're not going to match them with the other 2.
-GP-

Old 10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
The only reason your VDC is going off more often is because you have the BFG's in the rear and the RE050a's in the front. If you match the BFG's up front then there is only one other tire that can outhandle the BFG... The michelin PS2 but those will put a big dent in your wallet.

Also, you can not compare treadwear rating's between different brands of tires. Every tire company has its own rating system to compare tires within their brand.

I had the stock michelin's on the front and the Bridgestone RE750 on the rear of my car and my VDC would go off just getting on the freeway on-ramp going 60. Once i put the RE750's up front and the S03's in the rear, i can take the same on ramp at 90 with out the VDC going off.

So conclusion... dont change only 2 tires if you're not going to match them with the other 2.
-GP-
This I did not know. I plan to get BFG KDW for the rears since my Toyo T1R are about done.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I replaced the stock "spaceship" tires hahaha with BFGoodrich KDWs. I like them so far...my rear KDWs were pretty much naked with the steal belts showing after 30k miles, haha gdup can back me up on that. But yea, I just got another set for the rear...I don't think I have driven them to their full potential yet because I just don't like the body roll on the G35..however I will see what these puppies can do after my suspension install.

Of course, not the BEST tire out there...but I believe they are well worth it for the price...they last a long time also.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the review. not looking forward to spending money on 19" tires.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwiggum
This I did not know. I plan to get BFG KDW for the rears since my Toyo T1R are about done.
You might want to think about replacing the fronts with BFG's as well or just going with another pair of T1R's on the rear to keep the VDC in check. Or you can just turn the VDC off and you wont have any problems
-GP-

Old 10-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan

-GP-
So you're saying that if the stickier tires are in the rear, I shouldn't have a problem? If so, I concur - I seem to be having a problem with the BFGs. It's just that the first part seems to say the BFG KDW2 > Bridgestone RE050A.

So all-in-all, what you're saying is, for 19", performance-only:
Mich PS2 > BFG KDW2 > RE050A

Have you tried Toyo T1R?

Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
dude. weird, my slip light is going on all also and my car tries to correct itself by braking....it's only when im taking right on/off ramps, and im not even going that fast. It was hella scary because the car starts braking by itself out of no where...haha

Old 10-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Tire review..................

I find it hard to believe that having two different types
of rubber on your car would make the VDC to come
on. I am aware that Bridgestones are poor wearing
tires! I had a set on my 300ZXT that only lasted 10K
and for the price that really sucked......great rain tires
but for the $ I'll take Michelins....Toyo's won't give
you any grip....hit a wet spot and your done...been
there!

Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I believe that the problem is the performance difference between the tires. I think it might help to have the better tires on the back, but that's not the way I have it right now.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 AM
I've run different tires front/rear in many setups. It's really not an issue like many people on here seem to think.

Having tried many of the best tires from each maker out there, my conclusion is that the RE050A runflats were the best in the dry, but sucked in the rain. The KDW2's were much better in the rain, pretty damn good in the dry, and much cheaper.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've run different tires front/rear in many setups. It's really not an issue like many people on here seem to think.

Having tried many of the best tires from each maker out there, my conclusion is that the RE050A runflats were the best in the dry, but sucked in the rain. The KDW2's were much better in the rain, pretty damn good in the dry, and much cheaper.
i agree. i find it very hard to believe that kdw2's grip better than 050's in the dry. this is based off of what i have been told by people who have tried kdw2.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by Alan
i agree. i find it very hard to believe that kdw2's grip better than 050's in the dry. this is based off of what i have been told by people who have tried kdw2.
I second this - my experience is:
RE050A > KDW2