Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tire Feathering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a bunch of threads on the over @ my350z. People weren't too happy with what Nissan offered with a law suit threatening.

You all might want to do a search overthere. Not sure but it may have been late 04 early 05. Could do a search here but I don't recall if there were any threads here.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by yizhao
just went throw my old emails to make sure and yes t1r on oem 19s
damn im pissed i just bought t1r's for 1,200 dollars. but thanks

Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, return them if you haven't already installed them and PM TD4L. I just bought a set from them (OEM size for coupe 19's) and paid $808 shipped.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 PM
new tires comin..good for now

Old 04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Feathering began [for every manufacturer] when directional tires were introduced in 1990 and shows up because owners don't rotate tires every 3,750/90 days as recommended by tire manufacturers.......Necessary to demount and flip on wheels.

Not Nissan fault that the tires can't take it or owners abuse them.

Performance cars are expensive to maintain with 8,000 mile* tire replacements and frequent brake rehabilitation.

The half way point when directional tires should be replaced if as new wet performance is to be maintained.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Feathering began [for every manufacturer] when directional tires were introduced in 1990 and shows up because owners don't rotate tires every 3,750/90 days as recommended by tire manufacturers.......Necessary to demount and flip on wheels.

Not Nissan fault that the tires can't take it or owners abuse them.

Performance cars are expensive to maintain with 8,000 mile* tire replacements and frequent brake rehabilitation.

The half way point when directional tires should be replaced if as new wet performance is to be maintained.
Feathering can be found on the non directional tires as well. Most Bmws don't have feathering issues nor do I see it on other forums. The demount and flip must be done very regularly and only helps to a degree as the outside of front tires have a tendency to feather anyway due to sterring. Now you are getting inside and outside feathering. Owners abuse is one thing, but the manufacturer deliberately staggering the tires and on top not allowing any camber adjustment only aggravates the condition.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Are the Toyo's race tires? I'm thinking of getting some all season race tires eventually. After seeing what happened to my buddy'z Z06 w/ race tires, it got me kinda scared. (He ran over some black ice and immediately lost control. Good thing he wasn't speeding, which is rare.)

Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would buying the SPC Front and Rear Camber/Toe/Caster Adjustments set cure the tire feathering issue? i'm running stock right now, but i dont like the idea of buying new tires every 13k-15k miles. I dont plan on lowering the car or getting new rims anytime soon.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Can I assume that someone has looked at the factory toe-in specs for the car? If the toe were brought in closer to zero, steering would be more sensitive, but wouldn't that be a better price to pay?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by terrycs
Can I assume that someone has looked at the factory toe-in specs for the car? If the toe were brought in closer to zero, steering would be more sensitive, but wouldn't that be a better price to pay?
Bringing the toe to zero is exactly what the service writers recommend. However, another point must be emphasized. By bringing the toe to zero does not and will not cure the feathering. It is only a suggestion in slowing down the feathering. The negative camber is the major culprit to the inside wear of the tires and any positive toe will only aggravate this condition. However, the toe on these cars is so sensitive that as soon as it is set, it pretty much goes out of adjustment. I had my toe adjusted pretty close to zero and the feathering continued. This toe adjustment has been discussed on different threads in different forums. No one has ever found it to be the cure. The front tires leaning inwards (negative camber)is what is destroying our tires.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Are later model G35 coupes (2006-2007) affected by the same tire feathering issues?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:24 PM
My 06 OEM Tires suck

I have the same problems with my 06 6MT. Just turned 19,000 miles in 14 months and its driving me crazy. I just took a few friends to the mountains and was embarrased by the noise it was making from 45 down to 10. I was hoping to hold off but it is getting bad. The dealer said it was norrmal but still think it is excessive for the $$ paid.

I have 5/32" left on the tread. Any idea on when I need to change them, provided I don't go nuts first?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks like I'll try to buy tires with a less aggresive tread design. I'm assuming when they say less aggressive, they mean less little tiny grooves?

Since getting an alignment doesn't completely solve the problem, and since some people have feathering but still have less rumble than some people, I say we'd start a poll on which tires makes the less noise/rumble, eh?

I'll start off with saying that i have the yokohama AVS ES100 and it has the rumbles

Last edited by Deezflip; 06-30-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I've got a mild feathering problem with my 03 G35 sedan (Z springs front, coupe springs rear). The feathering issue didn't rear it's head until I got the OEM EL42 (215/55R17) replaced with Avon M550s and did an alignment (never got aligned after 1.5 years of driving on Z springs). The only thing that was out with the alignment was toe which was approximately +0.05 on each side (ie positive toe). Within 4K miles of the new tires and alignment, I was getting some tire roar and noise that wasn't there. I attributed the additional noise to the stickier and wider contact patch of the 215/55R17 M550. To my surprise during a tire rotation at 5K miles, the front inner portions of the tires were feathered. Nothing hugely dramatic, but I could definitely feel it. I swapped the tires front to rear and the noise went away. Now I'm at 4K miles and the noise is back again. Luckily the rear camber is such that it's ground down the feathered edges on the back tires.

After some research and just like Q45tech posted, directional tires like the M550 have a tendency to feather, especially on a multi-link suspension like the G's. It also turns out that Nissan has had the same feathering issues not only on the 350Z/G coupe, but also on the 300ZX and the Q45. The recommended course of action is as follows:

1) Rotate the tires every 3-3.75K miles
2) Pull toe in to max (-0.16 total on the G/Z)
3) Stay away from directional tires
4) Ideally, find a tire that uses a connected inner tread block. Bridgestone actually redesigned the OEM Z rubber with a new tread block design to combat the feathering.
5) Consider sourcing out the 05+ "revised" springs and struts from the Z. The higher dampening struts may be the key to reducing the feathering.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Can you elaborate on the connected inner tread block? Can anyone give an example of a tire with that design?DAVEB....you are right on the money with regards to setting the toe to the maximum with specs. For my car, it would be +.08 All cars have a tendency for the tires to turn outwards upon braking, thus the scrubbing of the inside of the tires. The maximum toe helps to offset this. However, don't expect to eliminate feathering, inside front tire wear, or the road roar on decelerating. This will only slow it down, and keep it in check so to speak. It's pretty much here to stay with our cars.

Last edited by bocatrip; 07-03-2007 at 10:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Feathering