Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tire Feathering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just made a thread about this. its good that i am not alone. however i would like a solution for the problem. would a front camber kit fix the problem? or just slow it down, as someone stated with the toe.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cturnbull802
i just made a thread about this. its good that i am not alone. however i would like a solution for the problem. would a front camber kit fix the problem? or just slow it down, as someone stated with the toe.
You must be careful with the camber kit. Not only is it expensive, there is always a chance that you may not get enough adjustment on the camber settings to make any difference.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem, just replaced my T1r's with only 20k on the fronts because the noise was getting insane. The only way to solve this problem would be for Infiniti to have a recall(will never happen), or for someone to start a class action lawsuit.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
http://www.nissantireproblems.com/

I found this website, i started a thread about it just search my threads. I dont know if they are legit or not????

Old 07-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
You must be careful with the camber kit. Not only is it expensive, there is always a chance that you may not get enough adjustment on the camber settings to make any difference.
on my alignment sheet i am only at -1.25 for the fronts, its the 8 degrees of caster that bothers me

my rears are at -1.6 degrees and are wearing, but NOTHING like the fronts.

when i get home i will try and scan my alignment sheet and post it later on tonight

Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I have had a change of heart and I'm getting my Avon M550s pulled off the rims and having the feathered edges pushed to the outside so that I can wear down the feather edge. I am then going to get my alignment set to toe out. I know it seems *** backwards because Nissan says to set the toe to max toe in to combat the feather issue, but with my car, I didn't have any feathering issues when the toe was wildly toed out, not in. I'm going to have them set the toe to about 0.05+ (maybe even more) and see how it goes. According to my alignment spec sheet, my toe was toed out 0.10 and 0.11 and the car drove fine. Straightline stability was mildly improved when the toe was set inwards, but then the feathering came into play. My assumption is that the caster angle, the negative front camber, and toe in is the ultimate cause for the feathering. Maybe setting the toe outwards has a way of combating the camber/caster problem....at least on my car. I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:57 PM
It's a good idea to keep the toe at the max specs allowable. I have mine at .05 and would like to have it at .08 This minimizes the amount of inside scrubbing of the front tires as the car slows down. As far as Dave mentioning the Avons.................they are the worst tire for our Coupes do to their big tread blocks. I'd get rid of them as it's just about a lost cause to keep them even and quiet. I use them on my rears only and get around 10,000 miles out of them before throwing them away. I am putting the original 225/50/17s that I took off the fronts on my rears even though they are not staggered to get the last few miles out of them. They are somewhat feathered, but it should not matter that much on the rears.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Really interesting read guys.
I've just received my used 2005 V35 Coupe from Japan (I'm in Australia) which has 25000km's on it, and it hasn't got a single sign of the problems you guys are discussing. No feathering, no noise, nothing.
My understanding is that the parts for the G are shipped into the US, and the car is then manufactured there. Could the prob be in the assemble or suspension settings (assuming the parts are the same)
The stock tires on the V35 are Bridgestone Potenza's.
I've recently dropped the car on 350Z H-techs from the US, so I'll keep an eye on it from here. But so far the wear is very very even across all 4 tires with no signs of any issues.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think all 2003 - 2007 G35 are manufactured in Japan, correct me if I am wrong.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The US excess speed limits compared to Japan's 60 mph max or go to jail tend to make the tire problems worse here as the tread block squirm force increases with speed.

All Infiniti except some trucks are/were built in Japan and the SUV trucks are now being transfered back to Japan due to US quality control problems.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Here's some more rational on why I'm going to get my front alignment set to toe out vs max toe-in. On a RWD, the front tires will be be forced outwards the faster you go because the car is being pushed. The movement of the rubber suspension bushings and tires is the main reason why it does this and it's also why the alignment settings on most RWD cars have a bit of toe-in. With a FWD car, the front wheels are obviously the drive wheels therefore drivetrain is pulling the car and actually trying to pull the tires inward to a degree hence the reason why a lot of FWD are set to about 0 toe. In warmer weather, the alignment settings under load, will vary a lot more because of the plyiability of the rubber. In hot weather (85+), the setting differences will be even more pronounced. In 95 degree weather, the roar is far more pronounced than the rare 75 degree weather we're currently experiencing right now in Kansas City.

What I have noticed is that my car doesn't exhibit any of the annoying roaring at speeds above 55mph where technically the wheels are being forced to a near 0 toe setting. So my rational, whether right or wrong, is telling me that toe-in at slow speeds with a bit of camber is causing the roaring. If I didn't notice the roar and feathering issue on an alignment that was toe-out for 1.5 years, then maybe I should revert back to that setting for a little while to see how it does.

I also noticed that the more air you have in the tires, the roar gets lessened probably because the tire is a little taller and taking some of the load off the inside edges.

Last edited by DaveB; 07-23-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:50 PM
The reason there is less tire roar with increased tire inflations is due to less overall tire friction and heat. In addition, don't forget that everytime you brake the front tires have the tendency to toe out, thus causing that roaring sensation upon deceleration under 35-40MPH. I would be thinking of keeping the toe to max specs in the area of maintaining the most toe in as possible to offset the turning out of the tires during braking.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nissan tests alignment at 55 mph then creates the static alignment chart so that at speed the alignment will be correct.

As the bushings wear and change durometer hardness [ozone exposure] and slop creeps in, one must recreate a modified alignment chart or replace the worn bushings.

Why rubber items are classified as wear items and not covered under warranty.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I fixed my roaring tire issue. Next up is an alignment.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170885
this was very helpful.

thank you daveB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Feathering