G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards

I'm one of the few sedan owners that apparently is experiencing a feathering problem. The problem didn't occur until I put on a set of 215/55R17 Avon M550s (directional tires). The roaring was really driving me nuts. My original plan was to yank the tires off the rim and have the feathered edges pushed to the outside of the rim and then get an alignment to bring the toe in to max. After doing some research about directional tires, I learned that it is entirely fine to run directional tires backwards. The only ill effect is that wet traction in standing water is compromised slightly because more water will be pushed to the front of the tire instead of channeled outwards therefore you need to be more cautiously in wet weather. Also, after 10K miles, the advantages of a directional tires (ie better water channeling) has most likely disappeared because of the reduced thread. My Avons have about 13K miles. I never drive fast in the rain so I'm not worried.

Toyo and Michelin actually recommend running the directional tires backwards to knock down the feathering. They also recommend getting an alignment (duh).

Today I flopped my tires (left rear to right rear and right front to left front). To my amazement, the roaring is TOTALLY gone. Next up, an alignment.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
be very careful with flipped tires. wet traction is SEVERELY compromised. if you hit a puddle with the direction reversed, the car will slow down as if you slammed on your brakes! the worst is when you hit puddles at an angle.

but anyways, sounds like you solved a great problem. a friend of mine has such a roaring problem as well.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dry traction is also compromised as well as steering response. There is a reason why the manufactures do not recommend running tires backwards.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I Wouldnt Do It ..

Id Look For New Tires

This Cant Be Good For The Tires ..

Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
New tires bro you are just asking for an insurance claim.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Dry traction is also compromised as well as steering response. There is a reason why the manufactures do not recommend running tires backwards.
The purpose of directional tires is to channel water/slush away from the tire. The directional design is not for dry weather traction. Some tires use different types of rubber along the tread of the tire (my Avons don't), but I have not changed the overall layout of the tire, I've only changed the direction at which is rolls. I have compromised the wet weather capability of the tire to a degree, however, the tires have over 10K miles and according to everything I've researched, the channeling effect of a directional tire is mostly lost after 50%of the tread is gone. The other thing is I don't drive fast at all in the rain at all. I managed to drive for a year on mostly bald EL42s in torrential Kansas/Georgia/Florida rain and Kansas winters so I'm not too worried about driving on these tires. Anyways, by the time winter hits, the tires will have been rotated and swapped to the intended direction. I'm only doing this to knock down the feathered blocks. Like I said earlier, Toyo and Michilen both recommend running their directional tires backwards to knock down the feathered blocks.

The good news is:

1) The roaring is gone
2) The tires are nice and quiet again
3) Handling is just as good as before. Believe me, I took this car into some seriously hard handling manuvers just to make sure. It's the same as before. Tire temps across the tire are the same too.

BTW, when you getting rid of the Nismo Z? Nissan just announced that the new Z has been postponed a year and that the VQ37 will making it's way into next years (same model) Z. 340+hp vs 306hp, no additional weight. Hmmm.......sounds tempting

Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Premier Member

Nah, the HR engine is great. And personally, the 3.7L isn't dynoing that much more than this 3.5HR engine. I rather have a rare breed car than one with just 30~ more hp.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
The purpose of directional tires is to channel water/slush away from the tire. The directional design is not for dry weather traction. Some tires use different types of rubber along the tread of the tire (my Avons don't), but I have not changed the overall layout of the tire, I've only changed the direction at which is rolls. I have compromised the wet weather capability of the tire to a degree, however, the tires have over 10K miles and according to everything I've researched, the channeling effect of a directional tire is mostly lost after 50%of the tread is gone. The other thing is I don't drive fast at all in the rain at all. I managed to drive for a year on mostly bald EL42s in torrential Kansas/Georgia/Florida rain and Kansas winters so I'm not too worried about driving on these tires. Anyways, by the time winter hits, the tires will have been rotated and swapped to the intended direction. I'm only doing this to knock down the feathered blocks. Like I said earlier, Toyo and Michilen both recommend running their directional tires backwards to knock down the feathered blocks.

The good news is:

1) The roaring is gone
2) The tires are nice and quiet again
3) Handling is just as good as before. Believe me, I took this car into some seriously hard handling manuvers just to make sure. It's the same as before. Tire temps across the tire are the same too.

BTW, when you getting rid of the Nismo Z? Nissan just announced that the new Z has been postponed a year and that the VQ37 will making it's way into next years (same model) Z. 340+hp vs 306hp, no additional weight. Hmmm.......sounds tempting
Where does one find this recommendation?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting, on the face it sounds like a really bad idea....but hopefully you will not prove that to be true!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am going to find out with you. i have a set of dunlop sportmaxx tires and the noise coming from them is inane!! i refuse to put tires on a car after 10k thats insane!!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Premier Member

Well Dave, all I can say your recommending something that is unsafe for others, and as you can see others are going to try it now. Next thing we know someone gets in a wreck or killed because the tires were mounted backwards, and they come after you.

I suggest edit your post and put a disclaimer in it.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Where does one find this recommendation?
The Googles.....

Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Premier Member

Dave, how about you link us? I tried to search early and had no luck finding this recommendation.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Well Dave, all I can say your recommending something that is unsafe for others, and as you can see others are going to try it now. Next thing we know someone gets in a wreck or killed because the tires were mounted backwards, and they come after you.

I suggest edit your post and put a disclaimer in it.
I'm not worried. The Clink & Clack (Car Talk) guys that have millions of dollars even said it was okay and they talked to tire experts too. If someone dies, they should go after them because they have a bit more money than myself

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...03/May/07.html

Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Premier Member

Dave, how about you link us? I tried to search early and had no luck finding this recommendation.
Still waiting to see this link where Michelin recommends running the tires backwards Dave. Please post it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fixed my roaring (feathering) tire issue on my sedan, run the tires backwards