Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Tein Flex Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tein Flex Noise

Did a search and couldnt find anything. Anyone else have rattling noises comming from the rear shocks? A friend of mines has the same exact noise so Im thinking its normal? A couple of people said that its from the pillowball mounts.

04 6MT, Aero, Prem, Tein Flex's, Cusco sways, 19's, Clears, 350Z Pedals, No front plate!

Old 12-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Re: Tein Flex Noise

i have herd several people mention that with the FLEX. i think its normal. one guy said that means they werent installed right but i tend to beleive that it is just normal cuz i have herd of at least 5 people mention that.

On a side note how do u like them?

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 12-20-2003, 02:38 PM

I heard that also when I was researching before I installed the TEIN basics. It has to do with the flex using a metal pillowball mount. Where as the basics use the stock rubber mount and the CS system (the one for comfort) uses rubber also.

I think the sound is normal and just something to remind you you have the baddest coilover suspension on earth.

Jeremy

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Volk GT-7's/ TEIN Basics
Falken 245/35/ZR19 & 285/35ZR19
Kinetix Racing Camber Rods/ K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 12-20-2003, 10:21 PM

I like the Flex's....although the rattling can get irritating at times. Just wanted to make sure there were others out there with the same problem before I sent my shocks to Tein for nothing. Kept emailing them asking if it was normal but they just kept telling me to send the suspension to them! I also told them that there was nothing visibly wrong with anything....nothing loose or anything like that. Anyway....thanks for the info guys!

04 6MT, Black, Aero, Prem, Tein Flex's, Cusco sways, 19" SSR Sovereign's, Clears, 350Z Pedals, No front plate!

Old 12-22-2003, 11:55 AM

Mine are currently at Tein in Cali getting fixed. It sounds like you have an older model of the Flex which is what I had. Same annoying squeak for me which is why they're being fixed/replaced. Not sure exactly when they switched over, but from what I understand, the mounting system is different now and much quieter. I should get them back and put on by the end of the year so I'll let you know. I had mine installed back in June so I've lived through that terrible noise for 6 months. I feel for you.

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

Old 12-22-2003, 01:56 PM

so u have to take it out complete to send back for repair? i have that noise too and thought it was normal. If i have to take it out, man it will be a pain...don't have her for couple of weeks plus i only have one car to drive around.

g35mt

Old 12-22-2003, 10:50 PM

You didn't keep your stock suspension? I just put in my old rear shocks. Only the two rear shocks had to be sent. We left the fronts on and the springs as well.

[size=1]'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav | Injen CAI | UR Pulley | Tein Flex w/EDFC | Stillen Rotors | Cusco Sways | TS ECU Upgrade[/size=1]

Old 12-22-2003, 11:56 PM

i still have the stock but it's a pain in the **** just to take it out and put them back on. Plus i have the edfc too...

I wonder if i can tell them the next time i need to send the shock to be rebuild, they can replace it.

g35mt

Old 12-26-2003, 05:40 PM

Really?? So what kind of noise did yours have exactly? Mines has a hollow sounding rattle. Hard to describe in words.....kind of sounds like the top nut of the shock is loose....a clunking sort of noise. Took apart the suspension 3 times and nothing was loose. But yours was more of a squeak?

04 6MT, Black, Aero, Prem, Tein Flex's, Cusco sways, 19" SSR Sovereign's, Clears, 350Z Pedals, No front plate!

Old 12-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a long discussion with several one of Teins techs a couple of months ago. We talked about a lot of things. One thing that he brought up when I was asking about why they changed the spring rates on the FLEX application for the Z and G was how they also changed the upper mount design to that of the CS system. He said that for some reason the valving in the FLEX dampeners was creating a harmonic resonating that went throughtout the entire car. The the change to the CS upper mounts was their solution to fix the design flaw. When I asked him, "well what about all the old design flex's on customer cars that are making noise?" I didn't get a answer that made me think they'd replace them on their dime. Not encouraging to me at all. Maybe as a owner, you might have better luck when you actually call, I dunno.

"i, for one, am not a fan of glory hounds."

Dang straight, it's all about the glory of helping. Who have you helped today?

Old 12-31-2003, 01:56 AM

So the CS doe snot have the sound? I heard that somewhere as well. Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking of getting these done also, but the rear noise is keeping me away.

IS it also true that the CS with EDFC is adjustable only in the front, and not the rear?

Gurgen

Old 01-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the newer Tein Flex with the EDFC. There is no noise coming from the rear mounts at all. I think they went to a stiffer damping/spring rate (12kg instead of 10kg?) and did some other minor tweaks and fixed the sound issue.
They work great so far.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 01-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, a Tein Flex that has spring rates of 12Kg are the units equipped with the newwer CS upper mounts. Previous 10Kg units are the ones with the old upper mounts and subject to possible noise from the original upper mount design. Design change coinsided with a marketing change that saw the introduction of the CS line to these cars. This was done to satisfy owner objections that the 10Kg Flex coilovers were not stiff enough. The CS was brought out to handle the objections of those that said the 10Kg Flex was to stiff. Kinda funny they marketed themselves out of what I want for stiffness, lol.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt