Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

widest tires on oem 19's ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
I will definitely dry-fit the 275. But, as I have stated before, with 265s, my sidewall is straight.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fredrik94087
I will definitely dry-fit the 275. But, as I have stated before, with 265s, my sidewall is straight.
IMO, 265/35/19 is OK on an 8.5" wheel. Mfg. specs say no, min is 9.0". However, 275/35/19 is a big NO The 10 mm wider cross section converts to .4" of an inch, too wide IMO.

Lou

Old 10-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember you from another thread.... (lowrider)

The car is perfectly safe. I've driven agressive, and the tires don't move at all on the rim. The car feels much more stable than before. In todays legal-minded society, if it was unsafe, tirerack would not post these as optional sizes.

eh...to each his own. I'm not going to argue or flame like there was on the other post in this forum.

Simply put, this is a safe setup; its been on the car for 10k+ miles with 0 issues. I like the wider look; the minor bulge (it looks meaner than stock, closer to rival cars). The increased traction is also very noticeable, especially off the line.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joe603

The car is perfectly safe. I've driven agressive, and the tires don't move at all on the rim. The car feels much more stable than before. In todays legal-minded society, if it was unsafe, tirerack would not post these as optional sizes.

eh...to each his own. I'm not going to argue or flame like there was on the other post in this forum.

Simply put, this is a safe setup; its been on the car for 10k+ miles with 0 issues. I like the wider look; the minor bulge (it looks meaner than stock, closer to rival cars). The increased traction is also very noticeable, especially off the line.
Call tirerack, the optional sizes are for aftermarket wheels, not stock wheels, they'll tell you the same thing we just told you.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe603

Joe,

Getting in on an old post here for sure... but noticed you are in Henry County. Makes us neighbors of sorts. Don't recognize your subdivision, but we're over of 20 East of McDonough. If ya' see a Laser Red 06 with a custom plate (uh relating to what the car is) ... that'll be me.

Getting to the tires though. I'd have to agree with the 265's being the max for; 1-safety, 2-ride, 3-looks. Tire Rack and tire mfg's recommend a 9" rim minimum for 275's.

I can't help but think that the 275's would be IMPOSSIBLE to mount if they were run-flats, YIKES! The stiffness of the original run-flat sidewalls are hard to beat with these rims, in these sizes, AND with 4WS. I was all over doing sway bars, then coil overs, when I bought my lil' red coupe. Thought that I can't imagine not giving it that extra "bite". After learning the car for a while on the nice country roads we have around McDonough now I can't imagine anything that could or WOULD need anymore "bite" much less go any faster.

Now I'll be the 1st to admit that I don't drive the car except for pleasure. Been in the rain twice in just over 2 years. Turned 13200 today on my downtown run. That however doesn't mean I don't go for the 'gusto' pretty much anywhere I'm going. Have to go downtown once a month to my back Dr. and it's a miracle that I don't have a stack of tickets, I mean AMAZING Clayton Co. doesn't get me up there at Old Dixie, or when you go under the Lakewood Fwy bridge where the Atlanta bike cops hide. Heck, they'd lock me up and throw away the key running Airline Road at well over twice (or is that three times) the speed limit.

CRAP... off topic again! Who, ME???

One more thing I was going to mention was the statement that "the tires don't move at all on the rim". Uh dude... ALL tires move on the rim and when the profile is wider than the rim recommended width by almost 1/2" you can bet they move. Just that between the sidewall flex and the extra rubber you've got back there makes it feel 'sticky-er'. Mount a suction cup camera to the fender and take a 20 mile twisty run (or probably less) and you'll be amazed at how much they move.

All that crap aside though, gotta' love that tread pattern... looks fast even sitting still.