Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

***track Tires***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***track Tires***

Need your help guys. Especially those that track their G's also. I'm getting my G set up to track it on the weekends. Just I ordered some 19" RAYS wheels & they should be arriving via the Japanese express with in the month. What's a good sticky D.O.T. street tire that I can get before my wheels come in. Excluding the Michellin PS2's. I know there are more options in 18's. A few examples, Nitto NT555, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Toyo Proxes T1R... What ya think members ..!!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Bridgestone RE01R's are hand's down the stickiest DOT approved street tire.

for 19's they come in 245/35 275/30

-GP-

Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Gspott
A few examples, Nitto NT555, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, Toyo Proxes T1R

Those are more street tires. Do you want full-up DOT legal road race tires that don't last long or just good street tires?

I would think if you were going with race tires you would get some good light 18's for them and the 19" volks would be more for the street.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

i think he's just trying to run a good looking lighter 19" wheel so he can drive them on the street but still take it to the track on the weekends, that's why he wants a sticky street tire.
-GP-

Old 05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, there are some better options with 18" wheels for the track. I would strongly sugesting going with a 18" set for the track and keep your Volks for the street, you don't want to mess up your nice wheels on the track, plus they will last longer just running them on the street. My rule of thumb is, never track your street wheels and vice-versa. Grant is right, the 140 tread wear Bridgestone's are pretty much the best (helped us win the RWD street class at the Redline Time Attack), but the 180 treadwear Yokahoma Advans are pretty good too.

Let me know if you need any more advise........

Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
i think he's just trying to run a good looking lighter 19" wheel so he can drive them on the street but still take it to the track on the weekends, that's why he wants a sticky street tire.
-GP-
Yup... that was pretty much what I was thinking. My G isn't a daily driver. I just drive it on the weekends if that. So tread wear isn't much of a concern to me.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by wa2good
Yes, there are some better options with 18" wheels for the track. I would strongly sugesting going with a 18" set for the track and keep your Volks for the street, you don't want to mess up your nice wheels on the track, plus they will last longer just running them on the street. My rule of thumb is, never track your street wheels and vice-versa. Grant is right, the 140 tread wear Bridgestone's are pretty much the best (helped us win the RWD street class at the Redline Time Attack), but the 180 treadwear Yokahoma Advans are pretty good too.

Let me know if you need any more advise........
I hear you Scott & agree re: 18's vs. 19's set up. Ultimately that's what I will do. But with my mod list as long as it is, I want to focus on getting it "track ready" on my 19's for now. As soon as I get the wheels/tires installed. I'm installing Stop Techs & shocks & should be good to go. So you think the Bridgestones will work well on the track...?? Especially @ Fontana.... super close to me here in Rancho....

Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Good track tires in 19" sizes are really tough to find. The Azenis is out, as is the Neova, the RS2's, BFG KD, etc. And more track worthy tires like RA1's, A048, NT-01's, Victoracers aren't available either - you have to basically make a big jump to Hoosier R6's which will have a ton more grip at the expense of treadwear.

Short of the Hoosier, I think your only options are the RE01 and the Kumho MX with a slight grip advantage to the RE01 and a price advantage to the MX.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Banned
I hear you Scott & agree re: 18's vs. 19's set up. Ultimately that's what I will do. But with my mod list as long as it is, I want to focus on getting it "track ready" on my 19's for now. As soon as I get the wheels/tires installed. I'm installing Stop Techs & shocks & should be good to go. So you think the Bridgestones will work well on the track...?? Especially @ Fontana.... super close to me here in Rancho....
Sure, you will be just fine

Old 05-18-2007, 04:11 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

The RE01R's are what most Evo's and Sti's are using on the track now, because they come in the stock tire sizes and are a street/track tire, they are very popular. The definitely wont let you down out on the track and will be just as much fun to drive around the city on the weekends.
-GP-

Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What type of tread wear do you see with the RE01R's on the street?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.