Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Question: Knock off rims vs. name brand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 AM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

Received 102 Likes on 45 Posts
Do it! Do it!

I guess these look good to this guy.... that's all there is to it! 'nuff said.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrrSeuss
I've always gone with quality parts in all of my cars..including rims. I've always gone with advans and volks. To me when I see a G with imitation wheels, it just cracks me up just simply b/c the owner was able to spend the money on the car but went to the dollar store to get the wheels. I'd rather stick with the factory wheels than get some cheap wheels out there. If it wsa my car, I would just stick with factory wheels until I saved enough for some decent wheels.
This is only my opinion though. Good luck!
you're probably the same type of person who pas $500 for designed jeans

Old 05-19-2007, 03:08 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
If you have the money to spend go with a good set of light, quality wheels.

If you don't, at least get a good light wheel that won't hurt your performance a ton. Sevas are a great wheel that are about as light as Volks, still look good but for 1/3 the price.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
i would rather stick to my 19's then buy some knock offs. save up, till i have enough. but thats just me.

i've seen a couple of G with pepboy rims. i just laugh of them. haha.

picture an m3 with some pep boys rims.. wouldn't you say wtf?

now picture a kia with pepboy rims... who cares. agian, im just thinking out loud.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by empfl
if its looks good, it looks good.. thats all there is to it
dont compromise quality for looks... what if the wheels cracks/bends/possibly worse... you end up forking out more money if not seriously hurt

Old 05-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by TurboDreamzG
Doesn't really matter. I dont think the "name brand" matters at all as long as they look good on the car, that's all that's important. If you find cheap wheels that will rock good on a g then get 'em.

I don't agree at all with this comment.

Wheels granted are to make the car look good, but also serve another purpose besides looks. Cheap wheels = lower quality and heavier.

Many manufacturers use the same production method but take stronger and/or thicker materials to increase load capacity which is the difference between off-brand and brand named.

Like I said many cheaper wheels are heavy so it's lack of performance, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY a lighter wheel (which are usually the brand name ones) will accelerate faster and stop quicker as well as reducing load on shocks and steering linkages.

The steering linkages will wear faster too.The heavier a wheel/tire combo the more energy is needed. Similar for shock absorbers. If you have a heavy wheel they will take a beating.

So aim for the lowest possible weight.
Save money, get a decent brand multi piece forged wheel so you have something that is strong and light. (DPE, HRE, Volk, Work, Rays, im sure you are familiar with all the brands), shop around, compare prices, and get something good not cheap. It will hurt in the long run.

Last edited by Concealed StrateG35; 05-19-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TurboDreamzG
Doesn't really matter. I dont think the "name brand" matters at all as long as they look good on the car, that's all that's important. If you find cheap wheels that will rock good on a g then get 'em.
yes it matters. It always matters. You get what you pay for. Take Iforged for example. You can't even use them in SCCA events because they fall appart. Many knockoff wheels that are "three piece" are actually "one piece" made to look like "three piece" ones through stickers and screws drilled into them (which degrades the wheel = cracks, leaks, and complete failure). They also use lower quality metals and have poor but cheap manufacturing practices. Use race proven wheels or nothing at all. They cost more but you won't end up breaking something in the end. newbs........

Last edited by b00stedjustin; 05-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by 2EFNFAST
you're probably the same type of person who pas $500 for designed jeans
what's wrong with expensive jeans? Just because you have no style doesn't mean others do (what jeans cost 500 bones? True Religion, Rock and Republic, etc. are only 300 bux and are some of the more expensive ones out there)

Old 05-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
what's wrong with expensive jeans? Just because you have no style doesn't mean others do (what jeans cost 500 bones? True Religion, Rock and Republic, etc. are only 300 bux and are some of the more expensive ones out there)
I'm pretty sure he wasn't being literall. So if you can't differentiate from sarcasm and what's not, then I feel bad for you.

Also just for the record and for the jjoy of making you feel stupid, Escada's couture line has jeans from $3000 to $7000
http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/29/cx_...featslide.html

And that's just to name ONE brand of jeans that are more than $500...

:Owned:

Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by speedraver
Do it! Do it!

I guess these look good to this guy.... that's all there is to it! 'nuff said.
Looks like he parked a bit too far to the left... that car deserves to be on the right side of that blue line.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Concealed StrateG35

Wheels granted are to make the car look good, but also serve another purpose besides looks. Cheap wheels = lower quality and heavier.

Many manufacturers use the same production method but take stronger and/or thicker materials to increase load capacity which is the difference between off-brand and brand named.

Like I said many cheaper wheels are heavy so it's lack of performance, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY a lighter wheel (which are usually the brand name ones) will accelerate faster and stop quicker as well as reducing load on shocks and steering linkages.

The steering linkages will wear faster too.The heavier a wheel/tire combo the more energy is needed. Similar for shock absorbers. If you have a heavy wheel they will take a beating.

Save money, get a decent brand multi piece forged wheel so you have something that is strong and light. (DPE, HRE, Volk, Work, Rays, im sure you are familiar with all the brands), shop around, compare prices, and get something good not cheap. It will hurt in the long run.
+1 i couldn't have said it any better, great job concealed

Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 AM
wtf? whats this line for?
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
also, "Evisu Jeans" run around that price range.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Concealed StrateG35

Not all cheap wheels are heavy and poorly made.

My Rota's weigh 18lbs each and are of excellent quality.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Gotta be better quality than stock & look better than stock then go for it

Old 05-20-2007, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by 2EFNFAST
Not all cheap wheels are heavy and poorly made.

My Rota's weigh 18lbs each and are of excellent quality.
And can you elaborate on what excellent quality they are?
Are they multi piece? Forged? What material are they made out of?

Unless you know the answers to those questions then I don't recommend that you do free advertising for them and say they are "excellent quality".

I know about ROTA and their quality, they use molten aluminum for casting their wheels.

IMO Rota = Bad quality wheel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question: Knock off rims vs. name brand?