Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Great wheels vs. Average

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great wheels vs. Average

as i posted earlier im about to look into getting some rims. i just got my G 3 weeks ago and before that i had a Montero sport so i never relly looked into buying rims before and hence...ima rookie.

anyways ive tried looking around the forum but i havent had much luck finding a post that details the diffrence between good and "bad" rims...

I dont race, dont plan to, and anything i do to my car is strictly for looks. like i said i used to drive a montero so i already feel like speed racer on a stock G...and dont relly feel the need to upgrade based on performance yet.

so with that being said...for someone like myself that is only concerned with making my car look good...what would be the real diffrence between buying some Maya Rims and buying some Avarus or Axis rims?

i really like the avarus AV3 and the Axis Shines, and whole bunch of Mayas...but clearly ONE maya rim costs as much as the whole set of the other brands

how much of a performance diffrence is there? is the price diffrence something based on the name brand and the looks? how much will it really affect my breaking if im not coming to a dead stop doing 140? somone please point me in the right direction ...im not a cheap guy so if its worth it ill definitly dish out the dough if its worth it...

if there is a post that details the diffrences or someone that can help please do. any recoomendations would help as well.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:38 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
The difference between wheels like Axis and Maya are that Axis are a one piece cast wheel, cast wheels weigh alot more than 2/3pc forged wheels like Maya, Volks,Works.. etc. etc. More weight will affect the acceleration, braking and handling of the car, especially when it is rotational mass.
-GP-

Old 06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
The difference between wheels like Axis and Maya are that Axis are a one piece cast wheel, cast wheels weigh alot more than 2/3pc forged wheels like Maya, Volks,Works.. etc. etc. More weight will affect the acceleration, braking and handling of the car, especially when it is rotational mass.
-GP-
would you be able to tell me about how much of a performance diffrence it creates?

are the Stock rims One Peice as well? would the Axis or Avarus rims be an upgrade from stock or would they lower or equal performance from stock?

thanks alot for the help

Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This difference is not only in the weight and manufacturing method, but also in the finishing. Its easy to spot the difference between an axis wheel and a maya because the lips on axis wheels are machined and not polished, so they look pretty dull. Maya lips are fully polished so they have a brilliant shine to them that the axis's don't even come close to looking like.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:09 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

If you have a new coupe with the 19" wheels then they are Forged monoblock wheels made by Rays Engineering (same company that makes Volks, GramLights) so Axis or Avarus wheels would be a downgrade.

The performance difference would be braking and acceleration, the added rotational mass puts more strain on the brakes to stop the car, thus your brakes will wear faster. The added unsprung weight from the wheels will affect the acceleration.
-GP-

Old 06-15-2007, 05:46 PM
If you have a new coupe with the 19" wheels then they are Forged monoblock wheels made by Rays Engineering (same company that makes Volks, GramLights) so Axis or Avarus wheels would be a downgrade.

The performance difference would be braking and acceleration, the added rotational mass puts more strain on the brakes to stop the car, thus your brakes will wear faster. The added unsprung weight from the wheels will affect the acceleration.
-GP-

i have an 03 Coupe with stock 18's ... would it be an upgrade from those?

or do you have any reccomendations that would offer comparable performance to those?

i really just wanna get something that looks better and offers comparable performance...the stock rims are really killing my look right now and its absolutely impossible to keep them clean. i drive one mile and all of a sudden they look black filled with mud and will kinds of spots.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

its really all your personal preference. if you dont care about performance and the car being fast then you can go ahead and put whatever wheels you want on there.
-GP-

Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
its really all your personal preference. if you dont care about performance and the car being fast then you can go ahead and put whatever wheels you want on there.
-GP-

lol well i wouldnt go as far as to say i dont care about performance...i wouldnt wanan decrease my performance at all..but i am satisfied with the stock performance and would like to maintain it

im willing to invest in something good tho i mean itll only increase the value of my car..

How do OZ wheels compare to the top names? i just checked them out and their reasonably priced and apparently are 3-Peice...are those any good?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:57 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Originally Posted by jayizratedx
lol well i wouldnt go as far as to say i dont care about performance...i wouldnt wanan decrease my performance at all..but i am satisfied with the stock performance and would like to maintain it

im willing to invest in something good tho i mean itll only increase the value of my car..

How do OZ wheels compare to the top names? i just checked them out and their reasonably priced and apparently are 3-Peice...are those any good?
OZ wheels are very good high quality wheels.
-GP-

Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
OZ wheels are very good high quality wheels.
-GP-
thanks alot for the help...

i think im gonna go with the OZs..

if they are that much better then the azarus and only costs a few hundred bucks more then its a worthy investment

Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I know you want to upgrade your wheels bro but I really think the best thing for you is to just have some patience and save up. Trust me on this. Save up and you can get some Volks/HRE/DPE/Work type "great" wheels and you will be much happier in the long run. It will be worth it.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jayizratedx
i have an 03 Coupe with stock 18's ... would it be an upgrade from those?
The stock 18's are 25 pounds each. If your wheels weigh less than that, then it's prob an upgrade. A lot of the "average quality" 18 inch wheels weigh closer to 30 pounds. A lof of the "great quality" 18 inch wheels will weigh closer to 20 pounds or less.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
I know you want to upgrade your wheels bro but I really think the best thing for you is to just have some patience and save up. Trust me on this. Save up and you can get some Volks/HRE/DPE/Work type "great" wheels and you will be much happier in the long run. It will be worth it.

how do the OZs rank against Volk and HRE?

i totally understand what your sayin im considering it...but if i spend big money on some wheels i think im almost totally sold on the mayas...im not relly a fan of the volk wheels...

and i still gotta do some research on the other brands

Old 06-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Maya makes a really nice rim that look very simular to the Axis shine you mentioned. I can't think of the name and since I'm at work I can't check ebay. If your stock 18" wheels weigh 25lbs there are several Axis wheels in 19" that are 25lbs range my 19" Axis Milanoes are 25lbs each. Sevas are cast and have some wheels that are in the 25-26lbs range also.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001

+1...

As long if the wheels are forged then go for it (depends on your budget)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Great wheels vs. Average