Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Velvet Touch Wheel Service HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Velvet Touch Wheel Service HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Just wanted to let you guys know that if you ever need any rims repaired to NEVER go to this place. Particularly NEVER deal with the guy named TODD. I was not going to make a thread but he keeps doing **** and he's pushed me over the edge. He is the local guy in the socal area that was going to be at the huntington beach meet but never made it, thank god for you guys he didn't. I was getting my JP's fixed because there were a couple of curb rashes. Well he had to strip the anodize, fix the curb rashes, then repolish. No big deal right? Wrong.

After he fixed the curb rashes he attempted to repolish. He spent about 4 weeks (literally) to do this. He told me he had problems with his girlfriend and couldn't work on my rims. Yea BS. And when I got them back, the result was like ****! I asked him.. is that the best you can do? And his answer was YES! I was like wtf? It was not even clear.. it was hazy and looked 100 times worse than before. So I said fine, since you apparently can't do your job, then just chrome the lips for me since that will give me the mirror finish i'm looking for. So he says no problem, give him about a week. Well three freaken weeks go by and I finally get my rims. Lucky for me the rims came out looking very nice.

During the fixing process he apparently "stepped" on 1 of my center caps and scraped the inside of it badly. He did pay me back to buy a new one though so that was fine. Problem is I have to get them from Japan and its been about 4 weeks already and I haven't gotten it yet, so its a real hassle. When I went to pick up my rims the tires were all UNMOUNTED so now i'm bringing it to my local shop to pay some more money to mount and balance my tires. In addition, he lost ALL EIGHT of my center cap screws. These are not normal screws that you can just pick up. So now I have to order from JP and god knows how long that'll take to get here for some stupid screws.

He's lucky my rims came out looking good. He was not the one chroming the lips, it's his employer Velvet Touch that did it for him. Well he's made a bad name for himself AND his company. Congrats Todd, i'm going to make sure people never go to your place ever again.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM
ouch....

Old 07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
wow that sucks sorry to hear you bad luck

Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by johnjayb
ouch....
+1. Was this the same guy that Klumzyee was recommending during the HB meet?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
damn, mike. you told me you got them back, but you didn't tell me about all of this.

he fixed my curb rash (still doesn't look all that "fixed" to me - ask mike, he saw it before/after). anyway, i went to grab a bite to eat and when i came back i saw him polishing my anodized lips. hmm, big no-no! no there is a ring of haze around the entire wheel. if i had known that was going to be the case (didn't know he would be polishing it), i would have rather lived with the curb rash!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Mike. Let this be a lesson to those out there who still think you can repair an anodized wheel lip. It CAN'T BE DONE. Well, it "can" but would be cost-prohibitive. I had a pair of Volks damaged by a detailer. I contacted multiple Volk dealers, Mackin (U.S. distributor for Volk Wheels), and several of the top wheel repair facilities. They all told me it couldn't be returned to the same condition as new. In the end, the detailer popped for a new set of wheels. I've heard several people tell me "Oh, I know this shop that can polish that out no problem." Let me tell you that's bull ****.

When I first bought my JP Scaras (same wheels as imalazeeass), one of the lips was bent during shipping. Again, I took it around to several shops but no one could return it back to new condition. The shipper filed a claim with FedEx and I got a new wheel from Japan.

My G is in the shop right now to repair some damage from a recent parking lot incident when a lady backed into my car. She also damaged the lip on one of my rear JP Scaras. I told the insurance company it couldn't be fixed but they had to send it to the wheel repair place to see if it got rejected. No surprise, it got rejected a couple of days ago. So now they've got to buy me a new wheel.

So, that's three times I've encountered this problem. Moral of the story is...save yourself the time and aggravation. Wheels with anodized lips cannot be repaired to the point where the lips look like new. You can have all four of your wheels polished to match or chrome them as Mike did. That's your best alternative to buying new wheels.

Last edited by k67p67; 07-15-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats not exactly true. Wheels can have the anodizing stripped and polished, and will look exactly like an anodized lip. The problem is that the rim is now bare and needs to be maintained every few weeks with a good metal polish

Old 07-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man Kurtis that is crazy...can't believe she hit your rim!!! you have bad luck

Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 AM
damn kurtis that is pretty painful! Honestly though, my chromed lips looks better than the anodized lips. But chroming is very costly. If i had to do it over i probably would not have fixed my curb rashes because they were not all that bad. But in the end, at least i have nice looking rims.

OH KURTIS one thing I wanted to ask you. Since all 8 of my sockethead screws were lost, I can't use my center cap right now. The problem with the screws is that they are "metric" and stainless steel so i can't find a local hardware store that carries it. I found a couple online vendors that offer metric socket head cap screws but I have no idea what the size is. Do you think you can find out for me? I don't want to order 8 screws from japan cuz thats going to take forever and I need the screws b4 HIN. I would hate to roll around with no JP center cap! You know how lame it looks without it!

Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by nooooorb
+1. Was this the same guy that Klumzyee was recommending during the HB meet?
unfortunately it is. He was okay with volk rims but if you have anything other than volks you are SOL.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Thats not exactly true. Wheels can have the anodizing stripped and polished, and will look exactly like an anodized lip. The problem is that the rim is now bare and needs to be maintained every few weeks with a good metal polish
So are you claiming to know more than the people who work at some of the top wheel repair facilities in So Cal? You might want to go into business for yourself if that's the case. In any case, I'll add your name to the list of people. FACT is that the repaired wheel with the polished lip is not going to exactly match the other three wheels with the original anodized lips. It may be close but not the same.

Originally Posted by imalazeeass
OH KURTIS one thing I wanted to ask you. Since all 8 of my sockethead screws were lost, I can't use my center cap right now. The problem with the screws is that they are "metric" and stainless steel so i can't find a local hardware store that carries it. I found a couple online vendors that offer metric socket head cap screws but I have no idea what the size is. Do you think you can find out for me? I don't want to order 8 screws from japan cuz thats going to take forever and I need the screws b4 HIN. I would hate to roll around with no JP center cap! You know how lame it looks without it!
I'll be ordering another wheel from the distributor next week. I'll hit him up for another set of bolts for the center caps. They only ship wheels from Japan via FedEx air so it'll be here pretty quickly. I'll let you know.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by k67p67
FACT is that the repaired wheel with the polished lip is not going to exactly match the other three wheels with the original anodized lips. It may be close but not the same.

agreed...there's a distinct hue to the anodized surface.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:22 PM
thanks man that'll be awesome.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah he was kinda =\ I gave him two sets of volks to work on and they all came out great but damn he screwed up on mike's JPs.. I had to get on this guys *** to work on these rims and the only way we had this done in a reasonable amount of time is because I have his boss (Mike)'s number here at work and contacted him directly to get the wheels finished. as for why the couldnt mount the wheels, I dont know. Sorry about the tires tho we only had time here to do one (tried to get it mounted at work for mike). But just let me know how much the bolts cost and he'll cover it

and yes stainless metric bolts are hard to find you can only get standard stainless in hardware stores

Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn bro...i remember seeing your JPs at eric's house that day...i feel your pain bro...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Velvet Touch Wheel Service HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE