Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Almost got killed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost got killed

It was raining lightly in the Monday morning at Boston, and I was driving to work as usual on the highway 93. My car (G35x) was going straight at about 60 mph on the most left lane.

It suddenly slipped to the right and almost hit a van and car on the other lanes. I was trying to brake and the ABS was going crazy to keep the car from loosing control.

My car finally stopped and the front of my car was facing to the opposite direction of the road. I was seeing the cars coming toward me, so I did a 3-point-turn on the highway and kept going as fast as the car could handle at that time. Then, I asked myself, "Am I still alive?"

Few days later, I checked my tires and the shoulder of my front tires are totally worn out. I also see my rear tires are cracking around the sides. They are OEM “EAGLE RS-A” and have about 30K on them. I didn't expect my tires would be gone so fast. So, check your tires before it is "too late".

Old 08-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you drive over a puddle on one side of your car?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"OEM “EAGLE RS-A” and have about 30K on them. I didn't expect my tires would be gone so fast"

Frictionwise most tires are significantly different after just 8,000 miles due to heat cycling of compounds.

If as new performance is desired the tires must be as new or at least not half worn! Tread depth is an iffy indicator! A Shore Durometer will tell you how much your tires have degraded!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durometer

Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No puddle. It might have some oil on the road, I guess...

We need to start a group buy for one of those Shore Durometers