Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Stock tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tires

Doesnt handle well in the snow causes my vdc to enable with a slip warning flashing on the board, Anyone know of any tires that can handle better then the original stock tires.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stock tires

Which stock tires do you have? There are 3.

Handle what better? Dry traction handling? Or specifically just better in snow? Or better all-around? All these answers and more, beaten worse than a dead horse, in the Tires & Wheels forum.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 01-30-2004, 01:54 PM

I have the Turanza EL-42 .

Old 01-30-2004, 02:11 PM

Upgrade to the Michelin Pilots and all will be solved:

Pilot Sport A/S @ 235/50ZR17

The Prisoner
------ We want information ...

2004 G35 Sedan AT w/ Premium, Leather, Wood, Sport & Michelin Pilot Sport A/S @ 235/50ZR17 on Stock Rims

Old 01-30-2004, 02:34 PM

Not necessarily all solved. That's a good all-around tire, probably the best tire there is at trying to do everything well. It does tend to be more expensive than other tire choices.

If you need really good snow traction, you'll want winter tires. If you want exceptional handling in the dry, there are many tires that do a better job than the Pilot Sport A/S, but they'll probably be worse than the stock tires in the snow. Shoot, there are racing compound tires that will blow away any street tire for dry handling, and are even street legal -- but put a little water or snow on the road and you might as well just wiggle the steering wheel randomly. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

rbmrob: You mention snow, so assuming you want better traction in snow, the Pilot Sport A/S is a good choice if you just want one tire for year-round use. However, check the Tire & Wheel forums here. Depending on where you live and what kind of snow you're talking about, you may want to look at a dedicated winter wheel & tire package if an all-season tire, even one as good as the Pilot Sport A/S, can't handle your local snow.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Premier Member

I would advise against the Pilot A/S for snow use. In my case I recentley changed the stock Goodyear's for Pilots on my G35 ( live in Chicago so snow is an issue) and was really disappointed at how they handled. Having said that, on all my previous cars I had dedicated snow tires, so I might be a little biased. I bought the Pilots too "save money", but in all honesty I will be purchasing snow tires for next season so in fact this idea "cost me money". Just my 2 cents worth. The Pilots are pretty decent tires though and in my opinion are substiuannly better than the stock Goodyears.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:36 PM

I live in MN and have the Turanza tires too but I haven't had any problems getting around when it snows. I guess if you are really having problems and are concerned about snow performance, then maybe it's best you go with a set snow tires.

2003.5 Garnet Fire 5AT
Wishlist: Nismo CAI, Borla Exhaust

Old 01-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't get the Pilots. They have gotten bad reveiws. If you have questions, go to tirerack.com. They test most of the tires they sell, and give good reveiws. Michelin just came out with a new tire called the Pilot PS2. It is rated better than the S0-3's and the GS-D3's. I have had S0-3's, and would probably get the PS-2's or the GS-D3's if I were to do it again. The GS-D3's have a better tread wear rating. If you want an all season tire, then I have no clue which is the best (I haven't researched it).

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, Gram Light 57F Pro's (on the way!)

Old 01-30-2004, 07:13 PM

I think there's been a slight bit of confusion here.

It's important to note that there's the Pilot Sport (a max-performance summer tire) and the Pilot Sport A/S (an all-season high performance tire). And depending on what, exactly, you're after -- either one may or may not be good.

All the tires khsonic03 just mentioned are great in dry weather, and very good in wet weather, and slicker than ice cubes in the snow. They're all summer tires. The cream of the crop for what they're supposed to do though (maximize dry road handling).

Old 01-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whoops, didn't see the A/S. Yes, all the tires I mentioned, except the Pilot Sports are all excellent in dry AND wet weather, the GS-D3 being the best in wet weather. As far as the A/S Pilot sport, I have no comment. It does really depend on what you are looking for.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, Gram Light 57F Pro's (on the way!)

Old 02-01-2004, 12:24 PM

I replaced the POS EL42's with ContiPremierContact's 225/55 HR 17's. Big improvement in every aspect. Smoother, quieter and much improved snow traction, although NOT anywere as good as dedicated snows would be. I didn't want to have to keep changing tires every time it snowed, so I settled on what, IMHO, I think is a great all around tire.

Desert Platinum/willow/premium & winter pkgs/Bose
'03 RX300
'00 RockyMountain Element SC<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by jmtbkr on 02/01/04 09:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>