Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Sedan tires comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan tires comparison

I am looking into a few selections right now.

225/55 R17 Bridgestone Potenza S03
225/55 R17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3
225/55 R17 Michellin Pilot Sport A/S
235/50 R17 Pirelli Pzero System Asymmetrico

I am leaning towards the F1 or the Pzero because I heard S03 have a bad treadwear as well as the pilots.
Anyone wanna help me out to select my next tire?

Old 02-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Sedan tires comparison

F1 GS-D3! Excellent tire, 280 tread wear, which is great compared to other max performance tires. Superior wet traction and dry traction. I had SO-3's, and they are great, but they follow grooves in the road, and the tread wear isn't that great.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, Gram Light 57F Pro's (on the way!)

Old 02-03-2004, 07:29 AM

Take treadwear ratings with a grain of salt. These are developed my the manufacturers, and the treadwear rating from one tiremaker does not mean it will equate to anothers.

Lou

Old 02-03-2004, 11:19 AM
IQ9

The Michelin is a 400 wear rating..how is that bad? Its more than any of the others you are looking at. My A/Ss look new and have 9K on them.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM

I said MAX performance tires. So that would be compared to the Michelin P/S with a tread wear rating of 220. There have been many good reviews of the treadwear of the GS-D3 versus the SO-3's and the Michelin P/S.

'03.5 Brilliant Silver AT Sedan, Premium, Aero Kit/Package, Sport, Winter, Stillen Air Box, Z pipe, Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Polk Tweeters, Clifford RSX 3.5, Gram Light 57F Pro's (on the way!)

Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't compare a Goodyear wear rating to a Michelin wear rating. There isn't any sort of standard they have to follow to come up with those ratings, so you can really only compare ratings between tires of the same manufacturer.

It's kind of like the AMD v. Intel processor war.. more GHz is only faster on the same processor line. An Athlon XP running at 2.2GHz generally performs better than a Pentium 4 at 2.6GHz. Same with wear ratings.. they don't track across manufacturers as a way of comparison. One company's 280 may wear better than another company's 350.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-03-2004, 03:50 PM

One thing I worry about is that people claim GS-D3 have a soft sidewall and don't corner well which means it only performs in straightaways. But I only like taking corners. Any comments about that?

Old 02-03-2004, 04:40 PM

I'm going through this decision process too, and am leaning toward the Michelin A/S's. A friend of mine has the Pilot Sport A/S as the OEMs on his Acura CL, and they've lasted a good 53K miles. The Goodyear F1's would be real nice, but I wouldn't expect them to last. I don't know if I can justify buying new tires every 12K miles. Can't you get the Pilot Sport A/S's in 235/50-17? Also, I didn't think they make the summer Pilot Sport's in a size close enough to the stock sedan rims.

Drew
2003 G35 Sedan 6MT / Black / Graphite / Prem / Aero

Old 02-03-2004, 06:30 PM

Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly. I wasn't trying to compare one company's rating to another, but looking back I guess it looks like that. What I was saying was that people have rated the Goodyears for having better wear than the Michelin P/S. I am curious about the new Michelin P/S 2's, however, although they have the same wear rating as the originals, and those wear very fast.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:33 PM

As far as the soft sidewall, from what I have heard, they don't corner as well as the SO-3's, but unless you do real racing, you probably won't notice because they are still excellent performing tires.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:38 PM

Hm.......
I am pretty confused right now on what to choose to be honest.
I know F1 got good dry and wet traction but the sidewall thing still kind of bothers me. Don't wanna risk treadwear for S03. Don't know much about the Pilot sport A/S. And no one has yet to comment on the Pzero.

Ah...........!!!!!

Old 02-03-2004, 07:06 PM

What about the PS2? The P/S A/S don't seem to fit in the category with the other tires you listed. It seems that the new PS-2's have really taken over for top position. If money is no concern, I would do the PS-2's. The GS-D3's are less $, and they will probably last longer. You will get much better handling with the GS-D3's than with the Pilot Sport A/S. I really don't think there will be a handling issue with the GS-D3's. They are Goodyear's flagship; it's hard to believe they wouldn't make them handle well.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Premier Member

I'd recommend the Pilot A/S and they do come in a 225/35R17 that do fit on OEM rims. Check out tirerack.com, they have some very knowledgable staff who know a lot about the G35. Bear in mind also, the OEM tires for the G sedan ( that's what I have) are a narrow tire at 215 and tirerack recommends a wider tire. Also, just in case your a little wary, the Michelin Pilot A/S is probably not quite as wide as some other brands, I think it's a great product, but wouldn't recommend for snow use.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:31 PM

Check this link out. It shows how much difference between the three tires. You can see there are barely any differences between the SO-3's and the GS-D3's in handling and cornering, and the GS-D3's posted the same g rating as the SO-3's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...nextGen_c.html

Old 02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

khsonic03: The Pilot Sport PS2's don't come in an acceptable size that fits the sedan's stock rim. That may change in time, as it's a brand new tire that's not available in many sizes at all yet. I expect it will replace the Pilot Sport completely in a few years (which also doesn't come in any decent sizes for the 17x7 rims).

The customer reviews on TireRack don't seem to rate the Asymmetrio nearly as well as the other tires mentioned here. It's not one I'd try out.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan tires comparison