Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

My New Volk LE37T's & Brembo Upgrades (Pics incl)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My New Volk LE37T's & Brembo Upgrades (Pics incl)

Copied from wheel/brake forum, though you like to see:
Here are my new wheels……FINALLY! A year ago last December I decided I wanted Volk LE37T’s in 19” but at the time only Top Secret had them in their trade mark gold. So I went ahead and ordered gunmetal TE37’s (basically the same wheel less the polished lip). Gunmetal is a special order color so it takes about 4 months for them to actually get over here. About a month before they were going to show I was informed that they were going to start production of the LE so I switched my order. To make a long story short I finally got them on the car about 4 weeks ago. I have gunmetal face, polished lip Le37T’s with flat caps. Fronts are 19x9.5 +35, rears are 19x10.5 +35. Tires are 275/30/19 front and 295/30/19 rear Continental Conti-Sport Contact 2’s. Same tires you get on the 911’s and M3’s. The only other manufacturer that makes these sizes is Pirelli but I haven’t heard good thing about wear vs. performance. For the short time I’ve had the Conti’s grip is pretty good. They look SWEET! The +35 off set is what Volk calls face two. The spokes pull in as you get to the center of the wheel giving them a nice bend. I call am calling firsts LOL. According to my friend at Mackin (Volk’s exclusive distributor) I have the only 19x9.5 front LE’s in the country with the +35. I basically just threw that in to make my self feel special. I’m sure I’m not going to be the last now. The rears have a similar look. Fitment is perfect. The wheels fill out the fender flares now perfect. The only thing I can’t tell you is if the rear fits without trimming the inner lip on the fender because I had that done in advance since I know it would be close. I’ve rolled the car pretty hard on some corners and no rubbing. No rubbing when you go full lock on the steering either. Unfortunately I didn’t have the chance to weight them before I put them on but these forged monoblock Volks are super light for the size, it’s pretty amazing. Combine that with the strength and there is no mystery why this brand sells so well. When I get the chance I will come back and post weights vs. stock. Grip with this much tire to no surprise is awesome. Turns I used to take where the stock tires would start to loose traction I don’t even brake for any more! I can jump back on the throttle sooner in a turn also and not have to worry about being the drift king also. I love it. Ride stiffness did increase some due to the sidewall stiffness, but that comes with the territory.

Before you guys ask, here is the deal on the brakes. I have Brembo upgrades on all four corners. I had the stock Brembo's but sold them and upgraded to these. The rears are full custom so unfortunately you can’t purchase them from Brembo, but the fronts are an off the shelf GT kit. The hats (also called bells) of the larger/wider rotors are aluminum and the disks are cross drilled and slotted. The front calipers are larger than stock (From their GT kit) and feature Ferodo pads. The rear calipers are pretty much the same as the stock Brembo but are spaced to be wider to accommodate the wider rotor and have Ferodo pads.. Here are the specs:

OEM Front Disc: 20.0 lbs.
OEM Front Caliper: 9.5 lbs.
OEM Rear Disc: 17.6 lbs.
OEM Rear Caliper: 4.3 lbs.

Brembo 355x32 Front Disc Assy: 16.8 lbs.
Brembo Front Caliper, Bracket, Hardware: 11.1 lbs.
Brembo 320x28 Rear Disc Assy: 12.8 lbs.
Brembo Rear Caliper: 4.4 lbs.

I have saved 1.6 lbs. per front corner, and 4.7 lbs. per rear corner, for a total savings of 12.6 lbs. of unsprung weight on the suspension. Here are the pictures:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287790409

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, brilliant silver, graphite leather, premium, aero and nav packages.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My New Volk LE37T's & Brembo Upgrades (Pics incl)

[img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img] VERY NICE!

DG/G 6MT coupe, Borla exhaust, Stillen intake, Z aluminum pedals, clear corners

Old 02-12-2004, 09:30 PM

Nice wheels and brakes!!! Im getting the same type of wheels in a week with 19x8.5 in front and 19x9.5 in the rear with a +22 offset all around. Don't know what types of tires im getting but the ones you have seem like a nice setup. How much did you spend for the wheels and brake?

Old 02-12-2004, 09:34 PM

Also, how did you get the lip for the rear? Does it come like that because of the size you have or what? I hope my wheel will have a lip like that on the rear.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:03 PM

well that looks so amazing!!! and that is a butt load of rubber... 275 up front WOW

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM

damnz2z, Carlos3186 Thanks. damnz2z I think that is what most people are running on the Z/G so I am assuming it will look good also. The rear has that much lip due to the width and offset I'm running, my size will have more lip than yours. My friend had 9.5 TE's on his Z and they still had a nice looking lip. I really like the contrast in lip on my set up, it looks very functional. What I mean is the front doesn't have much lip because the face needs a lot of clearance for the big brake calipers while the back has a lot of lip and accents the big tires. remeber you don't want to stagger the sizes too much. Way more tire in the back will make more understeer. If you want true balance then my fronts with 9.5 rears would be the better way. I really wanted that look though and it still handles great. If you stick with your combo, I reccomend Yokohama AVS sports if they make your sizes, I had those on my last car and liked them very much, they just didn't have my sizes this time. So far I also like the Conti's too.

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, brilliant silver, graphite leather, premium, aero and nav packages.

Old 02-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Re: My New Volk LE37T's & Brembo Upgrades (Pics in

i know where you got that brake setup, the same place i got my wheels, i almost bought that exact setup a few months back.

03 BS/Graph 6MT Prem Cp
19" GunM TE37 275/30 MPSports
kg/mms,cambers,cusco sways,injen int/exh,Alpine/JL/Stinger,din master

Old 02-13-2004, 12:39 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great choice in rims and brakes.

Do you feel a significant difference between the stock brembos and your aftermarket ones?

Although the caliper may be physically bigger in the front, does it use a larger pad or the same size?

Old 02-13-2004, 11:46 AM

The rotors are larger diameter and thickness on the front, as well as being lighter. The rear disks are thicker and much lighter. The front calipers are much larger and have slighlty larger pistons. The pads also are larger and are of a more aggressive compound. They will prove to be more consistant when really hot, like in a track situation. They make more aggressive pads than I have, but race pads will squeel and the optimal temperature range where they work best goes up. These are pretty streetable and more for my style of driving, I don't do a ton of track events or anything. Pedal feel is awsome, better than stock (which is already really good). Finally, the bigger size, aluminum hats, cross drill/slotted and red caliper just looks like the man!

On my last car I had coilovers before the brakes. When I had the brakes installed it felt as if I had changed the stiffness setting to a softer setting. The suspension was able to work better due to less unsprung weight. Pretty cool. I'm sure If I had done the suspesion first on my car I would have noticed the same thing but I did the brakes first this time. If you need a visual of how that works, hold a heavy wieght in your hand and hold you arm at your side and swing in up and down like a suspension arm would, then do the same with a lighter object. Wich on can you move up and down faster?

Old 03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
G35 6MT

those wheels look real good! those are the ones i wanted, but in the dark silver color and a +20 offset in front and +23 in the rear. you have a lot of width, i was jus' thinking of going with the 19x8.5 in front and 19x9.5's in the rear. any thoughts? thanks!

jUs' bE [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2004, 05:29 PM

The color I have is the darker grey (called Gun Metal). I think the offset you want to run is what most of the Z and G guys are running. You might as well run my fronts with your backs and have 19x9.5 all the way around! It would look sick and you would have more balanced handling. More tire in the back makes more understeer. For me I wanted the look and I dial out the understeer by stiffening my rear HKS Hipermax Dampers. The extra cost to get the 9.5's and the slightly larger tires prorbably won't kill you. Either way I'm sure I't will look good.

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, briliant silver, all options. Brembo upgrade all 4 corners, 19" Gunmetal LE3T's, HKS Hipermax LS+, HKS Legamax exhaust, Gialla grill.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:47 PM
G35 6MT

19x9.5's all the way around, eh? that sounds good. but do the front tires rub anywhere on the liner when you turn (until the stop)?

also, if you were to get 9.5's all the way around, and the same tire size all the way around, how would that affect the offset for the front? i mean, it's pretty safe to say that with 275/35/19 and 19x9.5 in the rear, you get a +22-23mm offset, and you would get that deep dish look. but it would look somewhat silly in front as well, wouldn't it? looking at the shape of the body, it seems that the car cries for a staggered setup.

also, i heard that VDC likes a staggered setup rather than have all tires the same. i don't know how that works and why they need the staggered setup. if anyone knows, could they please explain?

i don't plan to drop it that low, hell, i think the nismo's 20mm should suffice for me, and i don't plan to autocross much. i definitely don't want to roll any of the fenders either jus' to get my wheels to fit. so many questions!

n1cK

jUs' bE [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2004, 07:04 PM

n1cK,
My fronts don't rub at all, not even when the steering is at full lock and not even when I roll the car hard. I don' think it's and issue unless the car is dumped and in that case you probably have problems anyway. My friend had TE's with the set up we are discussing on his 350Z, I'll come back and post his size Monday. But to answer your question even though the front is a 35 offset it has a way different "face" profile then say a 19x9.5 34 offset. Even though the pad (part that buts up against the rotor) of the wheel is only 1mm different, Volk has different face profiles. I believe mine is what they call face 2 (for high disk high caliper clearances made specailly for NIssans). If you notice on GTR's and some other Nissan's wheels always seemd to look deeper because the ceter of the wheel gets sucked in giving the spokes a nice curve. This face profile also affects how much lip the wheel will have. I know because I had a 19x9.5 34 right next to my 19x9.5 35 at Makin and the 34 had way more lip and there was no way it was going to clear the calpier. So what I'm saying is even though you'll have the same diameter and width all the way around, It will still look staggered with the rear having more lip that the front I'm pretty sure. I'll get those pictures of my friends Z and post it so you can check it out.

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, briliant silver, all options. Brembo upgrade all 4 corners, 19" Gunmetal LE3T's, HKS Hipermax LS+, HKS Legamax exhaust, Gialla grill.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:05 PM

i bought the TEs you are talking about from your friend chris, they are 19x9.5 +35 front, 19x9.5 +22 rear. thats why i asked it that was his brake setup because i was gonna buy those brembos from him too.

03 BS/Graph 6MT Prem Cp
19" GunM TE37 275/30 MPSports
kg/mms,cambers,cusco sways,injen int/exh,Alpine/JL/Stinger,din master

Old 03-08-2004, 01:45 PM

The only guy who had bronze TE's in that size and the same brake kit that I have was not a guy named Chris, maybe Chris was selling them for him. In any case, that is not the set I have. The 350Z they were one was sold a while back, so someone got lucky and scored that set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New Volk LE37T's & Brembo Upgrades (Pics incl)